ADV- on left ddi

MivwTaupos

If you have the 'P/INS' advisory, your INS is not being corrected by GPS, and will be subject to drifting. If the INS knob is in NAV, move it to IFA.

The 'L HEAT' and 'R HEAT' advisories inform the pilot that the engine anti-ice valve is open for the respective engine.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

• 2 weeks later...
FPAS values cannot be calculated because you are in transonic region

Uh...I don't think so? That's pretty much ALWAYS up on the DDI.

I know the settings for "home" don't exist most of the time until I get the HOME FUEL deedle every two seconds. If I'm really, really fast I can sometimes set that when the mission first starts, but then the option vanishes.

You get the FPAS advisory and FPAS doesn't display calculation results if you're above Mach 0.9. IIRC it's normal behavior.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Gah! Any time you 'know' you're right it's time to check...you guys nailed it.

I've been flying a mostly clean ship lately, doing guns only engagements and learning how (not) to refuel and collecting wave-off tokens. A clean F/A-18 can supercruise above around 15k and it's very fast below that.

I've been pushing the speed limit, as you say! :thumbup: :joystick: :pilotfly:

FPAS caution is associated with "cannot calculate home fuel" which can be because of Mach but also other reasons like an invalid home point.

The arrows going away are due to invalid point. 0 should be a valid point, even for an air start. But if you advance the home point out of the range of defined waypoints it will get stuck without the arrows until you make it valid (even N 0° E 0° is OK). Having the probe extended will also preclude home fuel calc.

FPAS caution is associated with "cannot calculate home fuel" which can be because of Mach but also other reasons like an invalid home point.

The arrows going away are due to invalid point. 0 should be a valid point, even for an air start. But if you advance the home point out of the range of defined waypoints it will get stuck without the arrows until you make it valid (even N 0° E 0° is OK). Having the probe extended will also preclude home fuel calc.

I thought WP 0 was automacigally the point where the aircraft starts, and invariably I get no arrows at WP 0. I also get HOME FUEL (usually as I'm turning into the groove or right in the middle of a bugfight) with it still on WP 0, but the arrows re-appear once HOME FUEL is annoying the crap out of me.

deedle deedle. deedle deedle. deedle deedle. deedle deedle. Wave off, wave off. Get the heck away from my boat. I think the Air Force needs pilots...

Normally waypoint 0 is standardized in the mission load that gets downloaded to the mission card. So every time the jet starts, that waypoints coordinates gets downloaded. This is not normally an issue because most flights originate at home base and the standard mission load has the correct coordinates for your squadrons flight line in waypoint 0. However, suppose you were to go on cross country, you would land and then startup at an airfield other than home base. In this case you’d need to enter a new waypoint 0 before beginning your alignment at the new airfield. You can either learn the coordinates beforehand to type them in, reference a chart for the coordinates, or my personal favorite : once parked and ready to shutdown, copy the coordinates on the aircraft data sublevel, then type that in to waypoint 0.

Normally waypoint 0 is standardized in the mission load that gets downloaded to the mission card. So every time the jet starts, that waypoints coordinates gets downloaded. This is not normally an issue because most flights originate at home base and the standard mission load has the correct coordinates for your squadrons flight line in waypoint 0. However, suppose you were to go on cross country, you would land and then startup at an airfield other than home base. In this case you’d need to enter a new waypoint 0 before beginning your alignment at the new airfield. You can either learn the coordinates beforehand to type them in, reference a chart for the coordinates, or my personal favorite : once parked and ready to shutdown, copy the coordinates on the aircraft data sublevel, then type that in to waypoint 0.

It's almost like flying these things is a full time job or something :)

I'm going to pay far more attention to WP 0 in the future. Since I generally air-start (too lazy to fly all the way to the trigger zone) that will give me something to do before I hit the RangeHot trigger, but my guess is I've ignored the FPAS and waypoints for too long.

<edit>

Ran a mission to take off from Ramat David, transit to the CV, then launch and return to R-D. This time I paid attention to all the points everyone has made, and the whole thing is making better sense. Boltered my first attempt and got Home Fuel, set home to 59 (null), circled around and trapped (4 wire, no grade, EGIW - my favorite trick), had no arrows using 59, so I set it to the north geographic pole, and the arrows magically appeared. Just like you guys said it works. Fought with MFDs on the new module and mucked up my F/A-18 a bit, so more playing with navigation tomorrow. Probably more CQ as well, because I'm really rusty.

</edit>

Edited by Raisuli