HP Reverb, WMR, minor rant

bobaz

After having oculus CV1, & S, I think I'm ready to move on to something else. HP Reverb 2 sounds the most promising, but also much confusion for me. My head is swimming as I read about WMR. Some of the discussions are over my head. Is WMR similar to oculus home? the software required to launch your games? Is it easy to work with?

I pretty much play just two sims, DCS, & one other. The other one is only available at oculus store, or steam. I read I can still get it from oculus if I have their software, but once I leave oculus I don't want any of it back. So my only option would be steam, that I really don't want either. I hate being forced into joining some system just to play a few sims. Thanks for any feedback.

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K, Win10 64, 32 GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe M.2, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti, Realteus ForceFeel Gaming Pad, HP Reverb G2

WMR has some native applications, for most it runs steamvr on top of wmr.

That doesn't mean you need the steam version of dcs, it's just it will display via steam vr.

As your other sim is already in the steam eco system, you have no need to worry about being forced I to the WMR eco system.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Having done what you are proposing to do I can say I really don't miss occulus at all. Not that I had any games through them aside from some 3 dollar ghost shooty game. I basically just play sims and a few other strat games, so I just buy it all on steam.

But yeah, WMR more or less works like the steamVR house for launching stuff (i.e. I don't use it), just launch everything directly from steam.

Overall I found performance much better on WMR as well.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Sorry, but I'm still foggy on WMR, I need to ask a few more questions.

1. Is WMR required to use Reverb HMD?

2. With rift you launch the rift app, then from there start the game. Except

DCS starts outside of the rift app not thru it. Is that similar how it works

with WMR?

3. If you have a steam app, would that launch like DCS, separately?

Sorry I'm being so thick headed about something so simple to some of

you. Not having WMR, or even steam you could see my concern. Thanks

for your help.

Edited by bobaz

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K, Win10 64, 32 GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe M.2, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti, Realteus ForceFeel Gaming Pad, HP Reverb G2

with WMR?

for your help.

#1 is certainly a yes.

#2 I would think so.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

with WMR?

for your help.

1) Start WMR

2) Zero headset

3) Start DCS, which will fire up Steam VR and then DCS

or

1) Start WMR

2) Zero headset

3) Start Steam VR

4) start steam VR app or DCS

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

If you have DCS as non steam you have to add it to your steam library, not that hard or invasive. The main issue is the DCS does not support WMR unlike oculus which they do support. Because WMR isn't supported you have to use steam as a join so that they play together. Hopefully this will change considering oculus is kind of dropping the sim market and the reverb G1 or G2 seems like the way to go. ED seem to be working towards professional VR applications so I would hope that WMR support happens, but I have never heard anything from them about this.

- They have said that they are looking to support varjo, so if you have a spare $5000 - $10000 you could get one of those headsets instead.:megalol:

If you have DCS as non steam you have to add it to your steam library, not that hard or invasive. The main issue is the DCS does not support WMR unlike oculus which they do support. Because WMR isn't supported you have to use steam as a join so that they play together. Hopefully this will change considering oculus is kind of dropping the sim market and the reverb G1 or G2 seems like the way to go. ED seem to be working towards professional VR applications so I would hope that WMR support happens, but I have never heard anything from them about this.

DCS can run quite happily with WMR without needing to add it to Steam. You just need to have the WMR portal installed (the moment you connect your Reverb Windows will do this for you) and have Steam with Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR installed.

If you choose you could never touch these again once installed, DCS will automatically start WMR and SteamVR for you simply by having the VR option ticked in DCS.

If you were to install Steam and the Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR app now you will be ready to go when your Reverb arrives, just plug it in, let it install the WMR software and you are good to go!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/719950/Windows_Mixed_Reality_for_SteamVR/

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

- They have said that they are looking to support varjo, so if you have a spare $5000 - $10000 you could get one of those headsets instead.:megalol:

Wags commented quite some time ago that they may look at adding native WMR support.

I am sure it is probably not on their radar currently, but with the popularity now of the devices it would be nice if they did add it. I imagine with Oculus moving away from native PC-VR with discontinuation of Rift there will be more and more adding WMR headsets.

Especially as I have a Reverb G2 on order.

:smilewink:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

start SteamVR

start DCS

verbose version:

start SteamVR (will autolaunch WMR in the background, both SteamVR and WMR are ready in the blink of an eye)

start DCS

wait for DCS to finish loading

put on your headset and enjoy (recenter now in DCS with a button press)

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Wags commented quite some time ago that they may look at adding native WMR support.

I am sure it is probably not on their radar currently, but with the popularity now of the devices it would be nice if they did add it. I imagine with Oculus moving away from native PC-VR with discontinuation of Rift there will be more and more adding WMR headsets.

Yeah I Think it was like a year ago that they said they would add native wmr support. Still nothing heard...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

brief version:

start DCS (everything you need will be autolaunched for you)

Yup, thats what I Do.

Don't worry it will be in two weeks of course. :pilotfly:

Don't worry it will be in two weeks of course. :pilotfly:

:megalol:

I think it should be looked at. Yesterday there was an announcement of the G2 omnicept, the enterprise version of the G2. It had flight simming in the advert, if ED are serious about selling DCS as a training tool in VR, they have got to support WMR natively.

I think it should be looked at. Yesterday there was an announcement of the G2 omnicept, the enterprise version of the G2. It had flight simming in the advert, if ED are serious about selling DCS as a training tool in VR, they have got to support WMR natively.
I am not sure what the benefits would be? I am not aware of any significant apps that run natively to WMR, unlike Oculus and the integration with SteamVR and WMR seems pretty solid now.

I guess we will have to wait and see what Microsoft do and if there is any obvious benefit of a WMR version over a SteamVR version with the same headset.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I am not sure what the benefits would be? I am not aware of any significant apps that run natively to WMR, unlike Oculus and the integration with SteamVR and WMR seems pretty solid now.

I guess we will have to wait and see what Microsoft do and if there is any obvious benefit of a WMR version over a SteamVR version with the same headset.

The reverb G1/G2 is WMR only but with a software bridge to allow WMR and Steam VR to work together. They are not Steam VR headsets, like the valve index is.

Its true that WMR might not have any "significant" apps although that does depend on your view. There are certainly applications and games that run in the WMR natively.

Having said the above, there is a certain high profile new flight sim platform that is supposed to be getting VR integration soon and will possibly only work on the reverb G2 at launch. I would put good money on that supporting WMR natively.

The benefits would be just an all round cleaner and perhaps more efficient integration rather than having to bridge through two other bits of software. It might improve performance, it might not. Would certainly make set up easier and therefore more user friendly. There will be people (myself included) who don't use or have any steam apps on their PC and would therefore have to get this and create the account just to use the VR bridge.

Edited by Hoirtel

The reverb G1/G2 is WMR only but with a software bridge to allow WMR and Steam VR to work together. They are not Steam VR headsets, like the valve index is.

Its true that WMR might not have any "significant" apps although that does depend on your view. There are certainly applications and games that run in the WMR natively.

Having said the above, there is a certain high profile new flight sim platform that is supposed to be getting VR integration soon and will possibly only work on the reverb G2 at launch. I would put good money on that supporting WMR natively.

The benefits would be just an all round cleaner and perhaps more efficient integration rather than having to bridge through two other bits of software. It might improve performance, it might not. Would certainly make set up easier and therefore more user friendly. There will be people (myself included) who don't use or have any steam apps on their PC and would therefore have to get this and create the account just to use the VR bridge.

Thanks. I can see it would tidy things up a little but would only become essential in my eyes if there were performance or quality gains. In the scheme of managing even the more basic aircraft systems here the setup process seems negligible!

At one point I had a Reverb and an Index and to switch between them I simply unplugged the Reverb USB. I had no difference in experience and certainly didn't perceive any overhead of the WMR layer.

It rather feels a nice to have rather than being essential if ED are "serious" about VR. Like I said I guess it depends on what Microsoft do, whether it is for performance or quality or just a flagship for their VR platform.

OF COURSE they support WMR since it's Microsoft's own flight sim. It'll bring VR with G2 launch. But there is already an Air Force contingent training with VR and DCS A10.

Why is direct support mandatory?

Don't get me wrong, for new users it will be way way way easier to consume DCS. Setting up WMR, then SteamVR, then DCS can be daunting at worse, and pain in the ass at best.

But I don't know that it's "mandatory"

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

DK2 to CV1 to WMR Rverb. WMR is much better than Oculus...

Just install WMR and then Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR and opt into the Steam VR beta and take off.

I run WMR and then Steam VR and then Launch DCS. It's easy. And the Reverb is much better than the Rift S. I'm expecting the G2 to be better quality visuals so just do it.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE