PKT machine gun in the crew compartment

Lucas_From_Hell

During the Soviet-Afghan War, a number of Mi-24s had the doors and windows of the passenger compartment modified to carry a crew chief with a 7.62mm PKT machine gun. It would be great if this appeared as a loadout option in the mission editor, like the non-controllable PKT or the KORD available on the Mi-8MTV2.

Here are some photos demonstrating the installation:

FddPbmv.jpg

fLA37z3.jpg

Gr7OCor.jpg

• Like 2

During the Soviet-Afghan War, a number of Mi-24s had the doors and windows of the passenger compartment modified to carry a crew chief with a 7.62mm PKT machine gun. It would be great if this appeared as a loadout option in the mission editor, like the non-controllable PKT or the KORD available on the Mi-8MTV2…

будем КОРД ставить

:)

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

+1, in fact having the passenger position be an in-cockpit position would be fantastic.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

It would be great if this appeared as a loadout option in the mission editor, like the non-controllable PKT or the KORD available on the Mi-8MTV2.

The Kord 12,7 is controllable in Mi-8MTv2 :music_whistling:

One of my favorite things to do is to jump to it and destroy proper targets on ground with it.

You just can not man the rear gunner with 7,62 PKT machine gun. It would be fun place as well.

For Mi-24 I am happy to see the Kord there as well, as it will bring at least some kind balance to P variant as we didn't (yet) get the V variant, that would have brought nice things for gunner and pilot too.

12,7 mm is still effective for most common targets (SAM, APC, radars, trucks etc etc) you would face, but fairly ineffective against better armored targets like a ZSU-23-4 that has already armor at 25 mm class and so on your 12,7 mm API round can't penetrate one as it has about 13-16 mm penetration from 500-1000 meter range.

It was possible use as well a some of MDZ bullets that was originally meant for Anti-Air purposes, but you get a small HE or HEI with them. About 2.3 g of TNT, so you are more destructive with their impacts. Compare it to a example hand grenades that has about 50-80 g of TNT, you don't get at all the same kill zone (7-15 meters lethal radius) but if you hit something with such a bullet it doesn't come out with "clean hole", or 30mm OFZ calibers with about 50 g of TNT.

It is sad that we still do not have proper ground targets for smaller caliber weapons, infantry and their hiding locations, usage of buildings, walls etc as cover. So equipping all kind gunpods etc in DCS is just for training purpose and not so much for an effect.

Firing PKM or NSV is fun as it truly gives completely different effect than any assault rifle caliber weapon. Add a NVG or Holographic sights on those and they become very pleasant to use in various conditions. PKM is nice for the mobile use but NSV just requires two to get it moving as one piece as weapon loaded on tripod is about 80 kg.

But the effect is really nice for anything else than infantry (that you need to have direct hits).

Flying around lightly armored targets with Kord will be fun in Mi-24P.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Interesting! I wanted the PKM positions... just for more of a 'gunship' feel against trucks and infantry... where they do have some suppression value at least. I recall seeing video of a mercenary hind having both gun windows occupied (rather than having someone switch between the two).

On the other hand, it would be nice to also have the option to remove passenger compartment armour... as that was often done.

• 1 month later...
Anyone have a pic of how the Kord machine gun is installed in the Hind? I've seen the side gunners on the YouTube Neal Ellis video, but the Kord is a lot bigger.

Фото «Корда» снаружи и изнутри грузовой кабины:

2_21d88a96.jpg

1_87b85b34.jpg

:rolleyes:

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Honestly, the more I fly the more I see some merit in having a gunner who can switch sides to suppress ATGM and MANPAD teams... even if they have reduced visibility and won't be effective against vehicles.

I'd honestly be willing to pay for an 'export' Mi-24P II module which includes the PKT and the UPK pods (I'd pay even more if it had an Mi-24V of course). The MDB 4xFAB-100 racks used by a few units in Afghanistan would also be motivating (if they don't want to give us the UPK). The 10xFAB-100 loadout looks really good.

Edited by Avimimus
  • Like 1

It would be cool if when they add graphic troop embarking on helicopters, to have them automatically put their AK/PKTs out the window or on command. I think the use in real life is small with such small bullets. But maybe not with our door gunners AI🤣

I’m afraid our chance is to wait for Mi-24 2. Of which My wishlist for Mi-24 2 is 

SPO-15

S-8/5/13 variants 

UPK-23-250

D/V/VP variants 

Cyprus/Serbian Mi-35P clipped wing version 

NS 430 in place of map 

L166V, along with earlier MANPADs

Window PKT/AK

Did I miss anything🤣

I wish that the Mi-28 rotors had been retrofitted to earlier variants then Mi-35M and Mi-24PN, else I would ask for them. 

FEB3891C-1FF9-444C-B36F-AAED4C1B7971.webp

0946EC83-D971-4369-96A0-5088F75ABC49.jpeg

3BED885C-71ED-48D6-A6C6-33AFD45E191F.webp

Edited by AeriaGloria
  • Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

2 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Yes, the MDB racks for the inner hardpoints (allowing each of the inner hardpoints to carry 4xFAB-100 instead of 1xFAB-100 100kg bombs).

Damn how could I miss those! Dropping 10x bombs at once would be so cool. 

I must look at some videos of 5.62-7.62mm door guns in helicopters to see how effective it would to only have a 1-2x AK-47/74/PKT on either side 

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

On 11/11/2022 at 2:48 PM, AeriaGloria said:

Damn how could I miss those! Dropping 10x bombs at once would be so cool. 

It is a pretty good looking loadout:

Screenshot 2022-11-12 171610.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-12 171544.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-12 171520.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-12 171636.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-12 171916.jpg

Note: I can drop four bombs (including two from the inner hardpoints) - but after that the WCS doesn't release any further bombs - so six of them stay on the racks.

On 11/11/2022 at 2:48 PM, AeriaGloria said:

I must look at some videos of 5.62-7.62mm door guns in helicopters to see how effective it would to only have a 1-2x AK-47/74/PKT on either side 

You can actually test this with the Mi-8 - there is an option for a PKT door gun (albeit one with slightly better ergonomics I suspect).

Edited by Avimimus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 5:08 AM, AeriaGloria said:

SPO-15

S-8/5/13 variants 

UPK-23-250

D/V/VP variants 

Cyprus/Serbian Mi-35P clipped wing version 

NS 430 in place of map 

L166V, along with earlier MANPADs

Window PKT/AK

Did I miss anything

id love the A with the funny pit, it would also be easier to add than a Mi-35 because of classified systems and such and it would mean the addition of a amiable nose gun, UPK-23, different ATGM's and because of the larger pit space it actually has space to mount a NS-430, Mi-24A also has better visibility1*_b2fsVxWYSEG-L3RkWXBdA.jpeg

mi-24_20.jpg
Mil Mi-24A Hind-B for FSX/P3D by Nemeth Designs

also +1 for 2 door guns at once

Edited by evanf117
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bump, our Kord is 10 years newer than the Afghan war and thus anachronistic for the conflict and likely the module in general. Having a PKT would be a very welcome option, also in the case of the MI-8.

Edited by ACS_Dev
  • Like 2