Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

A NEW MISSION HAS ARRIVED!!!

Operation: Street Fight

* All aircraft and all weapons are limited in numbers!

* The mission will go online tonight around 18-19 zulu.

* The mission lasts for 5 hours (unless the objective is completed)

* READ the briefing and all notes to understand the limitations on all aircraft.

B8D2fgw.png

hcx6wY7.png

q9Dm1Hb.png

Situation:

RED Airbases: Al-Dumayr, Mezzeh, Qabr as Sitt, Damascus, Marj Ruhayyil

BLUE Airbases: Ramat David, Haifa, Megiddo, Eyn Shemer, Kiryat Shmona

Red BTR-80's and Blue M-113's are fighting in the streets of 6 towns on Red soil not too far from the borderlines. The coalition holding all 6 towns for at least 10 minutes, wins the day.

At mission's start Red holds the following towns:

Kafr Shams, As Sanamayn, Ankhul

At mission's start Red holds the following towns:

Aqrabac, Al Harah, Jasim

Every 5 minutes a message provides pilots with an update on the current situation with the towns.

REMEMBER! All aircraft and weapons are limited in numbers!

Su-25's and A-10's are excluded in this mission.

Red Objective:

Destroy any hostile ground units at any of the 6 towns and make sure we have friendly ground units moving in to capture and hold all 6.

All towns are marked on the F10 map.

Friendly and enemy artillery installations are marked on the F10 map.

Use SRS to coordinate your attacks!

IFF before you fire!

Ka-50's Waypoints:

WP-1 - Kafr Shams Town (friendly at mission's start)

WP-2 - As Sanamayn Town (friendly at mission's start)

WP-3 - Ankhul Town (friendly at mission's start)

WP-4 - Aqrabac Town (hostile at mission's start)

WP-5 - Al Harah Town (hostile at mission's start)

WP-6 - Jasim Town (hostile at mission's start)

EWR: 124 MHz, channel 0 for MiG-21's and L-39's. Channel 2 for MiG-19's.

EWR-15: 4.95 MHz (tuned in by default)

************************************************************************************

Blue Objective:

Destroy any hostile ground units at any of the 6 towns and make sure we have friendly ground units moving in to capture and hold all 6.

All towns are marked on the F10 map.

Friendly and enemy artillery installations are marked on the F10 map.

Use SRS to coordinate your attacks!

IFF before you fire!

EWR: 251 MHz

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

@Alpenwolf, what's your take on introducing supply runs into your missions? The limited numbers of aircraft available opens up the possibility of a victory through attrition. I can imagine the battle going down to the wire, with both sides frantically trying to bring in as much hardware to the front line as possible. This could be a fun way of employing L-39s, C-101s and helicopters in non-combat tasks. Interdicting those supply runs could become a secondary objective in itself.

I know, in all likelihood implementing this would be far more complex than I'm portraying it here, but IMHO this could add an interesting new dimension to your missions.

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

Having to ferry missiles would be interesting, if possible - maybe only R-3S/GAR-8/Rb 24 available at airfields by default, with supply runs from the rear area (say a factory or depot) bringing out small batches of the more advanced weapons and heavier A/G ordnance. Using actual slinging for this would make it challenging but rewarding.

Really I'd love to see road and rail logistics to resupply airfields, but the former is bugged (invisible, un-interdictable convoys to repair/resupply) and the latter doesn't really seem possible at the moment (DCS treats trains as traffic clutter AFAIK, they don't actually do anything and spawn in at random).

If you only knew how often I've asked for those things :smilewink:

Limiting everything is something I want and can easily be done in the mission editor. Having the ability to resupply (through trains, trucks, helicopters, etc.) is the counter for that and something I'd love to have but still unfortunately not possible.

Here's my latest thread.

NOTE:

Operation Open Range is currently online. The new mission, operation Street Fight will kick off right after around 1830 zulu.

Hope to see you there.

Share your feedback, please. I need that :thumbup:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

That new mission is pretty damn cool Alpen!

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

That new mission is pretty damn cool Alpen!

I might start limiting aircraft in all missions, I guess. Starting with the Syrian ones. Lot of work...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

In the new mission Street fight, where all aircraft are limited in numbers, most players were actually on comms and were very sensible with how they fly. If it's too dangerous to handle, they'd just back off. This is why I'm all in for realism (not saying that everything in my missions is realistic - way to go still and I know that), but that gives players the incentive to approach a mission with a different mindset, hence operation Tiberias (the one featuring Hornets, Eagles, etc.). It actually starts to matter. Otherwise, why bother to RTB, right? Not that players shouldn't always RTB instead of just leaving the server while midair, I'm always against the latter and that could result in banning if done too often as you already know.

I hope more of you will appreciate these "harsh" limitations that I'm always adding to the server in time.

S!

NOTE:

Red won tonight and didn't lose not one ground unit!!! Not one!!!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

From blue side:

Street Fight is pretty cool, loved the close spawns and the limited amount of aircraft was a really neat addition to add intense rtb moments.

I tried to fly the Gazelle L and it's utter shit compared to Ka50, distance to engage is really close and you're pretty much dead before even getting in range. Not sure how to balance that though.

The only viable way we found was using JTAC with GBU's on F5s but I need to learn how to do this properly ahah. We manually changed the JTAC laser code to be usable by F5's but it still showed the OG one (1113 I believe) when using F10 menu => Others => JTAC Status. Not sure if it was working or not, myself and another guy dropped GBUs on a lased Shilka with no success but that might be a pilot related issue in this case.

I think this mission could end very quickly when people get to know it, the vehicle war is way more efficient than anything else it seems but only time will tell :)

I feel that A2G stuff could only have been done succesfully by Viggens but I'm under the impression it's mostly used in A2A scenarios. (unpopular opinion: remove A2A missiles on Viggen :devil: )

Edited by ConkersBFD

Not sure how to balance that though.

Gotta wait for AH-64. Dont think right now any of that can be balanced.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

As someone who plays a lot during off-peak hours, I think Prince of Persia would be improved if each side started the mission with one of the objective airbases already captured: Ras Al Khaimah for Red and Al Maktoum for Blue. Those two are usually captured pretty quick anyway and having them stocked with enemy ground units will give players something to do with fixed-wing aircraft if the other side is empty. It'll also slow down the "3 Mi-8 vs. 0 Blue" rush that sometimes happens which ends the mission quickly. (I've participated in those myself. Fun for Red, maybe not so fun for Blue when it happens.)

Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed gave me the idea; it's nice in that one to be able to soften up the FARPs and Batumi if you're the only person on the server at the start of the mission.

Edited by Brown Floyd

Couldn't fly this one (neck still sore from yesterday's circus over Beslan, lol) but I was watching it on a friend's stream. Looks like a solid mission, can't wait to try it out!

You're lucky it's going online again tonight then :smilewink:

As someone who plays a lot during off-peak hours, I think Prince of Persia would be improved if each side started the mission with one of the objective airbases already captured: Ras Al Khaimah for Red and Al Maktoum for Blue. Those two are usually captured pretty quick anyway and having them stocked with enemy ground units will give players something to do with fixed-wing aircraft if the other side is empty. It'll also slow down the "3 Mi-8 vs. 0 Blue" rush that sometimes happens which ends the mission quickly. (I've participated in those myself. Fun for Red, maybe not so fun for Blue when it happens.)

Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed gave me the idea; it's nice in that one to be able to soften up the FARPs and Batumi if you're the only person on the server at the start of the mission.

Very good idea for Prince of Persia. Consider it done next time you fly the mission, except for the current session as I see the mission online. Wait for next time, please.

Not sure I fully understand what you mean regarding Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed. You shared the experience when flying alone but didn't suggest anything. Or was that it?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Had great fun flying tonight despite the rather empty server. As ever it was the ground units that won the day. Thoroughly enjoyed dogfighting The_Tau (uszanowanko! ;)), that first fight we had was glorious (even though I ended up shot down). Shoutout to 104th_Mustang, pleasure flying with you good sir!

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

Server News:

* The warehouses in all missions have been fixed.

- All three Syrian missions, Kiryat Shmona, Behind Enemy Lines and Street Fight, have limited aircraft numbers.

- ALWAYS Check out the briefing images to know what aircraft operates from which airbase.

- This is vital to save your aircraft from being counted as a loss should you land at an airbase where it's not operational.

- ALWAYS use SRS to get the most out of your teamwork. I'm always on TeamSpeak too when online. Other players as well.

- Operations Two Towns and Catch Me If You Can are offline.

- Operation When The Mountains Cry is back online.

- Ras Al Khaimah airbase in operation Prince of Persia is Red at mission's start, while Al Maktoum Intl is Blue.

NOTE:

In yesterday's Street Fight session an Mi-8 pilot deployed a JTAC unit. All I can say is that it was incredibly helpful finding enemy vehicles hiding between buildings. I can only encourage Mi-8 and UH-1 pilots to deploy these units. However, they are very limited in numbers (4-8) so one at a time is enough. Don't spam!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Can't wait to try these updated missions out ! As always thanks for your awesome job.

I noticed enemy units do not show up on the Tactical commander's F10 map anymore when in range of friendlies or when being lased by jtac. Is that something you disabled or another ED issue ?

Jtac units really are useful for sure, when you say 4 is that a total number (as in there's only 4 total available jtac units) or is it a limitation on the number of units deployed (as in you can deploy as many as you want with 4 being the maximum deployable at the same time)? I understood the former, I just want to be sure :)

Quick note to everyone : Blue Jtac will mark Red targets with red smoke and Red Jtac will mark Blue targets with blue smoke.

The default code for Blue jtac is set to 1688 (F5 default laser code) even if it shows 1113 on the F10 menu.

Edited by ConkersBFD

Can't wait to try these updated missions out ! As always thanks for your awesome job.

I noticed enemy units do not show up on the Tactical commander's F10 map anymore when in range of friendlies or when being lased by jtac. Is that something you disabled or another ED issue ?

Jtac units really are useful for sure, when you say 4 is that a total number (as in there's only 4 total available jtac units) or is it a limitation on the number of units deployed (as in you can deploy as many as you want with 4 being the maximum deployable at the same time)? I understood the former, I just want to be sure :)

Quick note to everyone : Blue Jtac will mark Red targets with red smoke and Red Jtac will mark Blue targets with blue smoke.

The default code for Blue jtac is set to 1688 (F5 default laser code) even if it shows 1113 on the F10 menu.

Units don't always show up on the F10 map is deliberate. No bug.

The smoke should help and of course the coordinates.

You can deploy up to 4 x JTAC units in total. Whether all at once or one at a time, it's your call. I just think it's better to deploy them one at a time. If the unit gets destroyed then you can deploy another one. 4 max (or 6 or 8 - depends on the mission). So the JTAC is very important. And you actually must destroy the enemy's immediately if spotted. Once you see blue smoke popping up here and there (if you are flying on Red) that should tell you there's an enemy JTAC, and vice versa.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Is the server offline? Did today's update break anything?

Is the server offline? Did today's update break anything?

Yes the netcode protocols have changed so all openbeta clients, server included, need to be on the correct version - unfortunately the Coldwar server is still on previous version so is unusable for now.

Damn, was hoping for some Friday night action. Thanks for the info.

Server's back up. Was at work yesterday so couldn't update.

Tonight around 1830 zulu operation Tiberias (no AMRAAM's, no ER's, no ET's, no T's) goes online.

Red pilots needed!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Red pilots needed!

I'll be there, together with two buddies :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg