Why won't this AI pilot fire cannons?

PoorOldSpike

Look, in the editor I tasked the enemy SU-25T pilot to fire his cannons at my Hummer but he simply banks away even though I gave him two gun pods under the wings, huh you try to be nice (sniffle)..

When I give him bombs, cluster bombs and rockets, he happily uses them, but he won't use cannons, what am I doing wrong?

PS- and what the heck's that on the centre line, it looks like a twin cannon but it doesn't show up on the payload screen, weird..

CA-no-canns.jpg

That's the built in gun. Double barrel 30mm. About not attacking, either the AI thinks he can't kill the HUMVEE with the gun (welcome to DCS AI) or there is some kind of a task your are not giving him or shouldn't be giving him.

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

That's the built in gun. Double barrel 30mm. About not attacking, either the AI thinks he can't kill the HUMVEE with the gun (welcome to DCS AI) or there is some kind of a task your are not giving him or shouldn't be giving him.

Thanks mate, don't ask me how but I've somehow muddled through by trial and error; taking early retirement at 60 yrs of age a few years ago was the best thing I ever did because now I've got all the time in the world do do tests and things like this without work interrupting me..:)

1- The SU-25T AI pilot opens up with his cannon pods against my Abrams-

(He also shot up Humvees and trucks and stuff in other tests and blew them up)

CA-canns-X.jpg

2- The russki pilot yells "Eat this Jack!"

I'll analyse how I got the pilot to do it, then post some screenshots later showing which buttons and things we have to select in the editor to kickstart him into action.

(PS- for the record his cannon shells did no severe damage to the Abrams as far as I could tell, and the tank was firing back with its roof-mounted 50 cal, but the plane got clean away)

CA-canns-Y.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Should try and make him use his 30mm cannon, that should do some damage

1- Bin there, dun that using the CAS option to pinpoint tanks (below), but when I entered the tank to check for damage, I was surprised to find I could fire the gun and the MG and drive it around just fine because I suppose the planes 30mms must have splattered off the thick front armour-

CA-30mms1.jpg

2- Got a bit of a mystery- Yesterday I made him fire his 30mms at buildings and ships using the 'Ground Attack' option (below), but today in a new test I can't make him fire the 30's nor the pods!!!

I should have saved the old successful test as a template duh, back to the drawing board (sniffle)..

CA-ddd.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike

You can get ai to use certain weapons against certain things. If you wish the ai to target your vehicles with specifically the gun, then you can set in the M.E. a search zone for the ai with set tasks, search for specific vehicle sets (humvees could fall under a few target types), and engage with certain weapon classes.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

You can get ai to use certain weapons against certain things. If you wish the ai to target your vehicles with specifically the gun, then you can set in the M.E. a search zone for the ai with set tasks, search for specific vehicle sets (humvees could fall under a few target types), and engage with certain weapon classes.

Yes there are a zillion options and things to click on and if you forget to click just one vital essential it scuppers the whole scenario as I found out to my cost..:)

AI are extremely reticent to fire guns at ground targets. I see them do it once in a blue moon, so it is not a problem with mission orders or triggers, etc.

AI prefer air-to-ground missiles first (Maverick or Vikhr), then (maybe) bombs, almost never the gun.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

AI are extremely reticent to fire guns at ground targets. I see them do it once in a blue moon, so it is not a problem with mission orders or triggers, etc.

AI prefer air-to-ground missiles first (Maverick or Vikhr), then (maybe) bombs, almost never the gun.

Yeah I've only had CA a few weeks so am still just a noob and have barely scratched the surface..:)

PS- have any of you guys got the DCS CA Georgian Campaign? What do you think of it?

Does it contain extra units that are not found in the standard CA?