F-5E update (Wags AMA)

RED

will not too much drag be your personal perception?

If I understand your question right: of course, it is!

Just to clarify things regarding my posting:

As I don't fly the real aircraft I can't say it is fact that we have too much drag, thus I did not, and thus I intentionally wrote a "maybe". Some of the guys in the forum seem to notice too much drag on other modules; seems I am not alone with that feeling on my beloved module (AJS).

For me the drag for the F-5 "feels" appropriate, despite some other saying it is too much.

If a guy called Mover had the impression that the F-18 module had too much drag during his flights (I don't know the video, just looking for it, maybe someone can provide me a link with time code), OK, that is another story. He obviously has the experience and can judge this far better. As a programmer (or responsible person for the code) I would instantly take a look into the code, maybe just a number is missing, or there is something simple broken. Sometimes failures are hidden since other failures work in the opposite direction, but not in all situations of course. Everything is complex, so "bugs will happen".

25 years of experience in aviation and a time in aviation maintenance makes me re-asking things more than one time, by looking at the problem from another perspective. If ED would eventually take a look into the libraries of functions calculating drag, fine. If not and they are sure what is going on in the code since it was tested enough, ... I (we) have to live with that I guess. Easy task. A point which we shouldn't forget about perception:

Personal perceptions are sometimes the one and only happenings in finding failures/mistakes/bugs, which needs attitude to accept them; different from the attitude "Im not doing failures/mistakes/bugs because I am professional". But this difference in attitude is "just" human factors. :P

I have no problem to dig deeper, since the fun for me starts here.

Tiger-II: which videos have you seen and which situations in DCS have you tried? Can you bring us to the same level of knowledge? E.g. can you make a comparison video, like

? Ralfi's video is a good example of how to compare DCS with reality, indeed he had not all date required for a in-depth break-down, but with some good assumptions regarding the situation he most probably made it as good as possible ...
Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

Don't have DCS presently installed, but it's easy to find out if the F-5 has the correct basic drag.

With both engines shut down and at 13300lbs, flaps up and at 250kias, the ROD should be ~3750ft/min, with pylons and/or wingtip missiles or without.

With both engines at idle, DI 0 and at 270kts the ROD should be approximately the same as above but since too high basic drag can be conceiled by increased idle thrust, the idle descent result is naturally less meaningful.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Don't have DCS presently installed, but it's easy to find out if the F-5 has the correct basic drag.

With both engines shut down and at 13300lbs, flaps up and at 250kias, the ROD should be ~3750ft/min, with pylons and/or wingtip missiles or without.

With both engines at idle, DI 0 and at 270kts the ROD should be approximately the same as above but since too high basic drag can be conceiled by increased idle thrust, the idle descent result is naturally less meaningful.

Exactly such things

• 7 months later...

I hope that after the A-10C v2 and Ka-50 v3 the ED will update the F-5E Tiger II.

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Aerobraking requires Pitch input to keep nose up until there is no more lift, then it falls

This is true only as your speed is decreasing. Initialy after touchdown, there should be ground/cushion effect present. As far as Im aware of most of DCS modules, no one simulates this effect and if, than incorectly (example Hornets inverted ground effect which will drag you down into ground).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_(aerodynamics)

Fixed wing aircraft ground effect

When an aircraft flies at a ground level approximately at or below the half length of the aircraft's wingspan there occurs, depending on airfoil and aircraft design, an often noticeable ground effect. This is caused primarily by the ground interrupting the wingtip vortices and downwash behind the wing. When a wing is flown very close to the ground, wingtip vortices are unable to form effectively due to the obstruction of the ground. The result is lower induced drag, which increases the speed and lift of the aircraft. A wing generates lift by deflecting the oncoming airmass (relative wind) downward. The deflected or "turned" flow of air creates a resultant force on the wing in the opposite direction (Newton's 3rd law). The resultant force is identified as lift. Flying close to a surface increases air pressure on the lower wing surface, nicknamed the "ram" or "cushion" effect, and thereby improves the aircraft lift-to-drag ratio. The lower/nearer the wing is with regards to the ground, the more pronounced the ground effect becomes. While in the ground effect, the wing requires a lower angle of attack to produce the same amount of lift. If the angle of attack and velocity remain constant, an increase in the lift coefficient ensues, which accounts for the "floating" effect. Ground effect also alters thrust versus velocity, where reduced induced drag requires less thrust in order to maintain the same velocity.

Low winged aircraft are more affected by ground effect than high wing aircraft. Due to the change in up-wash, down-wash, and wingtip vortices there may be errors in the airspeed system while in ground effect due to changes in the local pressure at the static source.

I hope that after the A-10C v2 and Ka-50 v3 the ED will update the F-5E Tiger II.

I certainly hope not,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

I'd be happy if they just fixed the English manual. It's full of typos, mistranslations and just plain sections written in Russian.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

I'd be happy if they just fixed the English manual. It's full of typos, mistranslations and just plain sections written in Russian.

What is missing in the manual is the launch parameters for the Mk 82 Snakeye. :(

What is missing in the manual is the launch parameters for the Mk 82 Snakeye. :(

There is a manual specific to F-5 weapons delivery. It's over 600 pages. A simple Google search for "F-5 Weapons Delivery" will give you all that you need. Check specifically Section 6, pages 117-142. Then you'll realize why it's not in the manual. Hint, there is no simple launch parameter. You have to understand how every degree of dive, every knot of speed, and the altitude at which you drop will effect the bomb. The manual will get you in the ballpark; but you will still need to practice, and practice a lot.

EDIT: Just realized this very manual is available under DCS' download section: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1946809/

Edited by Baaz
  • Like 1

There is a manual specific to F-5 weapons delivery. It's over 600 pages. A simple Google search for "F-5 Weapons Delivery" will give you all that you need. Check specifically Section 6, pages 117-142. Then you'll realize why it's not in the manual. Hint, there is no simple launch parameter. You have to understand how every degree of dive, every knot of speed, and the altitude at which you drop will effect the bomb. The manual will get you in the ballpark; but you will still need to practice, and practice a lot.

EDIT: Just realized this very manual is available under DCS' download section: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1946809/

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

A dream! I hope ED will add the aerial refueling probe to the F-5E.

For me I'm only really interested in a graphics update, I don't really want to see a more modern F-5E-3 because for me it's fun because it's basic - plus it's probably the closest thing we have to a Century series-ish fighter, going more modern would take that away.

One thing I do wish is for the TACAN volume knob to be fixed.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Hello everyone. I've a problem with the F-5 and the TrackIr 5 since the last update. When I center the TrackIr the view does'nt get in the center (as always do). Instead of viewing to the sight now I'm viewing slightly to the left and down. does anyone have the same problem and/or know how to fix it?

It only happens with this module. The others works fine

If I understand your question right: of course, it is!

Just to clarify things regarding my posting:

As I don't fly the real aircraft I can't say it is fact that we have too much drag, thus I did not, and thus I intentionally wrote a "maybe". Some of the guys in the forum seem to notice too much drag on other modules; seems I am not alone with that feeling on my beloved module (AJS).

For me the drag for the F-5 "feels" appropriate, despite some other saying it is too much.

If a guy called Mover had the impression that the F-18 module had too much drag during his flights (I don't know the video, just looking for it, maybe someone can provide me a link with time code), OK, that is another story. He obviously has the experience and can judge this far better. As a programmer (or responsible person for the code) I would instantly take a look into the code, maybe just a number is missing, or there is something simple broken. Sometimes failures are hidden since other failures work in the opposite direction, but not in all situations of course. Everything is complex, so "bugs will happen".

25 years of experience in aviation and a time in aviation maintenance makes me re-asking things more than one time, by looking at the problem from another perspective. If ED would eventually take a look into the libraries of functions calculating drag, fine. If not and they are sure what is going on in the code since it was tested enough, ... I (we) have to live with that I guess. Easy task. A point which we shouldn't forget about perception:

Personal perceptions are sometimes the one and only happenings in finding failures/mistakes/bugs, which needs attitude to accept them; different from the attitude "Im not doing failures/mistakes/bugs because I am professional". But this difference in attitude is "just" human factors. :P

I have no problem to dig deeper, since the fun for me starts here.

Tiger-II: which videos have you seen and which situations in DCS have you tried? Can you bring us to the same level of knowledge? E.g. can you make a comparison video, like

? Ralfi's video is a good example of how to compare DCS with reality, indeed he had not all date required for a in-depth break-down, but with some good assumptions regarding the situation he most probably made it as good as possible ...

'movers' YT vids are under CW lemoine

Hello everyone. I've a problem with the F-5 and the TrackIr 5 since the last update. When I center the TrackIr the view does'nt get in the center (as always do). Instead of viewing to the sight now I'm viewing slightly to the left and down. does anyone have the same problem and/or know how to fix it?

It only happens with this module. The others works fine

I believe you accidentally saved the cockpit position. You have to delete the View folder from that address.

C:\Users\You Nick\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config

For me I'm only really interested in a graphics update, I don't really want to see a more modern F-5E-3 because for me it's fun because it's basic - plus it's probably the closest thing we have to a Century series-ish fighter, going more modern would take that away.

One thing I do wish is for the TACAN volume knob to be fixed.

:thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Speed Brake Extend Retract Using 2 Position Switch a.k.a Else IF

Can this line be ADDED to a future update?

Helps anyone with a X55/X56 HOTAS or those that use a two-position toggle for Speed Brake.

Key Binding that allows for a two-position Switch key binding for Speed Brake. a.k.a Else IF.

Switch Position Pressed: Speed Brake Extend and Stay in position until released.

Switch Position Released: Speed Brake Retract.

Example: Two-position toggle Switch or Slider Switch on an X55 and X56 Flight Stick

-- Flight Control section of F5-E default.lua --
{	down = control_commands.SpdBrk, up = control_commands.SpdBrk, 	cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE,	value_down = 1, value_up = -1,	name = _('Speed Brake Switch - OUT/IN'),					category = _('Throttle Quadrant')},

Thanks to Shiroka for posting this Mod on the DCS User Files Download Page because it gave me the clues necessary to make the changes to the F5-E

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

• 3 months later...