VR Improvement suggestions

J3ST3R

Hi all, can anyone suggest anything to squeeze some more performance out of my system? fpsvr shown in picture? I'm using hp reverb and have reprojection enabled. Just wondering if i've missed any settings. DCS settings are set to vr option.

Thanks

1.thumb.jpg.ceb3be36282088ac68484f446f713559.jpg

INTEL i9 9900k @ 5Ghz, Asus Z390 strix ROG, 32gb 3200mhz Ram, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti, Corsair RM850i, Corsair H110i,, HP REVERB, Win 10 64bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Settings as seen in picture. My PD is set to 1.0 in DCS and steamVR the res is set to 100%

2.thumb.jpg.1624618933348f9f004648a71ec90eec.jpg

INTEL i9 9900k @ 5Ghz, Asus Z390 strix ROG, 32gb 3200mhz Ram, Nvidia GTX 1080Ti, Corsair RM850i, Corsair H110i,, HP REVERB, Win 10 64bit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi J3ST3R,

You seem to achive 45fps, is that in every situation (SP & MP, heavy missions?)

Your settings seem to be the sweet spot for your configuration, but if you want to go further, take note of the advice given in that video:

They were very useful for me.

Good luck!

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

- ground textures to low

- preload radius around 45%

- use the shaded mod

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Hi all, can anyone suggest anything to squeeze some more performance out of my system? fpsvr shown in picture? I'm using hp reverb and have reprojection enabled. Just wondering if i've missed any settings. DCS settings are set to vr option.

Thanks

43fps average... I don't think you can squeeze any more. If you are expecting somethin like 55fps or 60fps, it doesn't work that way. It's either 45 or 90fps. No in between.

If you want better performances in VR stop playing DCS and play some other sim. DCS VR is lost case.

Man...You mean I've been enjoying my VR and I've been wrong all this time???? What the hell was I thinking????

Utterly useless comment of the year.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thanks

45 FPS for 1080Ti seems reasonable. I don't know if anything will have a huge jump in performance. Also, remember, with reprojection type of tech, you never see anything other than the 45 or 90.

There was a thread here, for reducing the Reverb resolution to achieve much better FPS.

Found it: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=285493

Edited by hansangb
added the link to the post

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm no expert and still working through this myself. A few points:

From left field: Make sure you have TacView disabled if you have that recording by default in DCS. That took a huge hit from me when I couldn't understand why my performance was so much worse than others.

Set Grass/Clutter to 0. I've heard as far as performance hits - once it's enabled it's not much difference between 50 and 100, but a lot of difference between 50 and 0.

Man...You mean I've been enjoying my VR and I've been wrong all this time???? What the hell was I thinking????

:thumbup:

Same here, loving VR even in DCS since Jan 2017.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Not everybody can afford your 2080 ti.

or a rtx 3090! (sure still not the egg of columbus!)

Well ED, have you decided already for the new coming game engine? A deal with microsoft for the world engine would be a miracle! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Man I was little bit sarcastic. But the fact is DCS is not optimized at all, and all this new engine crap is just to deceive customers.

Fact is DCS don't have real competitor on market. Soon as someone shows up DCS is dead instantly and all this investment in it will be in vane. Sad but true.

We need proper switch to Vulcan yesterday not now. It is already too late. We are bombarded with more and more new modules ant that means only one. ED is not care about us and core game engine, they just want to milk more money from us. At least they laving such impression with their prioritizing.

I'm hearing about improvements now for years and I don't see any. That means only one, They are not working on it at all.

For some disent performances, at least half of the performances got in other games such Il2 BoS for example, you need most expensive hardware just because DCS engine cant use more than 40% of your hardware potential.

I think finaly is time to start proper and emidiat work on core engine finally. ED should stop talking and show us some real progress so we could see are they working on it at all.

Man I was little bit sarcastic. But the fact is DCS is not optimized at all, and all this new engine crap is just to deceive customers.

Fact is DCS don't have real competitor on market. Soon as someone shows up DCS is dead instantly and all this investment in it will be in vane. Sad but true.

We need proper switch to Vulcan yesterday not now.

Its always interesting to see people talking about an unknown combination (DCS/Vulkan) like its the cure for cancer. The fact is, nobody knows what benefit (if any) a different API will have for DCS in VR. That might be one of the reasons it keeps getting put on the back burner. It might not be a worthwhile priority.

I'll just go back to being one of the poor, delusional souls who enjoys the hell out of DCS in VR. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

We need proper switch to Vulcan yesterday not now. It is already too late. We are bombarded with more and more new modules ant that means only one. ED is not care about us and core game engine, they just want to milk more money from us. At least they laving such impression with their prioritizing.

I'm hearing about improvements now for years and I don't see any. That means only one, They are not working on it at all.

For some disent performances, at least half of the performances got in other games such Il2 BoS for example, you need most expensive hardware just because DCS engine cant use more than 40% of your hardware potential.

I think finaly is time to start proper and emidiat work on core engine finally. ED should stop talking and show us some real progress so we could see are they working on it at all.

Last word we heard, "the code is tough", that's what she said.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Its always interesting to see people talking about an unknown combination (DCS/Vulkan) like its the cure for cancer. The fact is, nobody knows what benefit (if any) a different API will have for DCS in VR. That might be one of the reasons it keeps getting put on the back burner. It might not be a worthwhile priority.

I'll just go back to being one of the poor, delusional souls who enjoys the hell out of DCS in VR. :D

You're right. Better to leave as is. :thumbup:

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Gpu temps approaching throttling temp at 82deg.

That is..your card drawing less power because of heat.I have seen micro stutter when temps get high.

So recommend using msi afterburner or something similar.

Turn off auto and ramp fan up to bring temps down while gaming.

Thus maximising fps.

Not everybody can afford your 2080 ti.

Red herring. Would you complain that a Toyota Prius can't win the Daytona, ergo it's USELESS?

Everyone wants more and better performance. To state that DCS is a lost cause for VR is very different than saying it needs Crysis level hardware to run.

Also, you can reduce the resolution to make it run smoother. It's a trade off but that's life in general. All we do (well, except Musk, Gates, and Bezos of the world) is trade one thing for another.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Everyone wants better things for DCS. We're all part of a community. But the thing most people don't understand (which is OK, it takes experience) is that changing the core of a base while it still has to run is incredibly difficult.

Why do you think for the most part, Apple's iOS hasn't changed much. or Android. It took decades for Cisco to change IOS to NXOS and it was rocky launch to say the least.

When you have an installed base, transitioning to something while maintaining the current train is hard. Unless you have the wherewithal to 2.5X your staff overnight so you can have 100% dedicated to new core, and another 50% working on integration challenges. And the original staff working to keep the lights on.

This is not a defense of a fanboi. *IF* there were better options I would switch in a nanosecond. As Nadela said, technology has no respect for history, only innovation.

So I'm more likely than most to give a little slack to ED. If you think about it, F16 came out of nowhere, the A10 upgrade is a gift, as was the supercarrier.

If they had dedicated the staff to fixing/optimizing the core, EVERYONE would have been yelling about lack of content/update.

So it's not as simple as "switch it to Vulkan dammit" Unless everyone signs up to not play DCS for a year so they can only work on that optimization. Which, of course would be suicide for ED.

If people only knew how much work it is to do regression testing, how much work it is to integrate new core to an existing core, how much more difficult every checkout is. We're asking ED to do a heart transplant while the patient is running a marathon. And that's not easy.

Again, I want a smoother less taxing DCS. But what they have now is FAR more than I expected. And I'll continue to enjoy it for what it is. And incredible game that allows one to be transported to a cockpit.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Thanks all for your suggestions and advice. Currently tinkering with settings now i have your suggestions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Red herring. Would you complain that a Toyota Prius can't win the Daytona, ergo it's USELESS?

Everyone wants more and better performance. To state that DCS is a lost cause for VR is very different than saying it needs Crysis level hardware to run.

Also, you can reduce the resolution to make it run smoother. It's a trade off but that's life in general. All we do (well, except Musk, Gates, and Bezos of the world) is trade one thing for another.

Not really. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

One question and it maybe a stupid one, what difference does changing the screen resolution in dcs? Ie, would it have a negative impact on performance to have it set to a high resolution and run vr, thus making the gpu work harder render two displays (monitor and hmd)?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]