Graceful strafes and manoeuvres just like in cool videos

freelancer2011

I am absolutely rough with the A-10C :music_whistling:

I'm bearing in mind the basic training vids that come with the game point out that things aren't as bad as they are. So, I did notice looking at the wing tip pointing to the ground that you can see the tight turning circles that you can do. And that, an AoA of 10 degrees is it(?), with enough speed, the plane can climb fast.

I've been practising rocket and AGM-65 runs over the past few nights and from F3 sometimes it looks good when I pull away. Or when they pull away from the tanker and they roll away so slick. But if I want to do proper moves, what kind of vids on YouTube would you recommend? -I don't know if I'm using the right words in the search (manoevres / maneuvers / strafing etc).

Also, do any of these campaign modules contain what I'm looking for?

A-10C Tactical Training Qualification Campaign

A-10C Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification Campaign

A-10C Basic Flight Training Campaign

Thanks! :thumbup:

Edited by freelancer2011

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few ways I like to do attack turns:

1. From level flight moving away from the target, descend as much as you can to gain speed then execute a rapid climb while also rolling the nose over in the direction of the turn. You won't normally need to apply much (or any) rudder unless the wind is making it necessary. In fact rudder input can be dangerous at low altitude. This turn as the advantage of bleeding off the most speed while producing a very tight turn and gaining altitude so you can commence an attack run.

2. From level flight do a break roll in the opposite direction of the turn for a second or two (this is assuming you want to track back on the same course alignment for the turn). Now do a hard roll in the direction of the turn that you want with the wings almost or completely vertical. Pull the stick back to get a hard and tight turn. You can do this turn with a bit less airspeed than turn number 1 described above. Use minimal rudder to correct slipping. Be careful that you don't go under 150 knots at any point during the turn. If you do, then drop out of the turn for a beat to allow your speed to pick up again (this does not apply when you're lining up for a landing approach). The reason for this warning is you can get instability very easily on these sharp turns when your airspeed goes under 150 and you're close to the ground. This is a good turn to use when you don't want to gain altitude or lose speed, but still want a tight turn. I like to go around buildings or trees etc, which provide cover during the turn.

3. Immelmann. This is one of the most difficult moves in the A-10 to get right, and you must be going at least 290 knots for it to work (and even then it will probably be a "wobbly immelmann"). The difficult part of this move is that you have to work so hard just to get enough airspeed to execute it, plus you're a bit vulnerable during the time you're ascending and while inverted (the aircraft is weaker on top than on the bottom). Use full AB, make sure your brakes, flaps, and landing gear are all retracted and there are no seagulls sitting on the wings. Now get up to speed and pull the nose up until you tip over in the opposite direction to what you started. The plane will try to tip sideways, but a bit of rudder combined with heavy stick and (optional) a lot of grunting and suppressed swearing, you should be able to keep it steady... plus it doesn't matter too much if you don't get it perfect, as long as you're high up enough to recover airspeed before you lose control. You might lose control for a second or two but you'll get it back if you stay calm (most of the time). You'll be upside down at the end of the half loop, so all you do now is roll over until you're the right way up. The plane is not very stable when inverted, so don't stay inverted for too long. This move gives you the most altitude gain and the most loss of airspeed. It's far more dangerous than the other two turns and normally only used when you want an extremely slow attack run without using brakes or to surprise the enemy who are expecting you to go around instead of just reversing.

About the slipping thing:

When you're turning, sometimes the tail of the plane will get pulled toward the ground. Using rudder can correct this.

Bonus turn:

When you don't need a sharp turn but want a smooth and graceful one that is very comfortable, just use full rudder in the direction of the turn while applying gentle roll pressure in the opposite direction, pulling back the stick a bit any time it feels like you're dropping. You'll get a really nice looking turn that takes forever to execute. This is a good one to use when getting ready for landing or while circling around looking for something far away. Don't use it when you want to lose airspeed. The main advantage of this turn is that you don't change altitude at all and it has very little effect on airspeed unless you were too slow to start with. You can convert it to another kind of turn if you find you need to turn more quickly.

ps: I know this is easy stuff and probably most people already know, but some people who are just starting out don't know how to do simple moves like this without a lot of choppiness and losing control. Don't get mad just because I described something easy.