Pacific map...a different idea

Bengal

Why not Guadalcanal? A total land/sea/air environment in a condensed area. The amount of unique missions is staggering. Air to air, shipping attacks, surface engagements, carrier warfare, troop support, Washing Machine Charlie missions.

I can't imagine a more varied environment that existed in WW2

The issue would be distance that Japanese units have to travel. Can't remember how far Rabaul was but maybe an in-flight spawn for Bettys? Maybe a closer airfield in the Russells?

Thoughts?

• Like 2

I agree completely however I would not restrict the map to just Gaudalcanal. I would include the whole Solomons Island chain. That would allow for the variety of mission types you mentioned.

Agreed. Then I can reenact the entire first season of Baa Baa Black Sheep lol

• 1 month later...

What really is the maximum size of a map in DCS? What are the limits that restrict map size? Is it total gigabytes of the files for the map? If that were the case, couldn't vast areas of open Pacific Ocean be included in a map...I mean, if it's just water? Or, is it coordinate system limit? Are the maps all "Flat Earthed"? When they get so big, curvature of the Earth must be factored in, in order to allow for "great circle" routes? (Let's not start the flat earth argument here, ha ha).

Because I would like to see a South Pacific map...Guadalcanal to Rabaul. This is really where all the air-to-air battles, other than Midway (which preceded it) took place. I have been reading about the Battle of Rabaul. The Allies worked their way along the Solomons (losing a number of ships along the way) and then took airfields all around Rabaul to surround it and cut it off from resupply...and then began bombing it. But I don't think it was ever invaded. It was cut off, made ineffective and bypassed. I believe it was surrendered to the Australians at the end of the war. Rabaul was Imperial Japan's Southern fortress. Probably analogous to America's Pearl Harbor. Although, they also had Truk. The air battles after this, such as the Great Mariannas Turkey Shoot were mostly one sided. The Battle of the Philippine Sea (Turkey Shoot) was probably the largest naval battle in history is terms of number of ships (and number of capital ships) involved but was fought all by aircraft (and submarines). Anyway, that was north of the equator, southwest of Guam and Saipan.

Now, in DCS, in my experience, we seldom re-enact battles in history. We seldom seem to have the right aircraft and other resources at the right locations to do that. But rather, I think we usually conduct fragments of battles in a realistic 'spirit' of history. A South Pacific map would allow "sandbox" battles all along the area, and/or just flying and navigating unfamiliar and far away places in history, hopefully configurable as the way they were at that time (1943-44, for example) or in more current time.

• 2 months later...

"Why not Guadalcanal? A total land/sea/air environment in a condensed area. The amount of unique missions is staggering. Air to air, shipping attacks, surface engagements, carrier warfare, troop support, Washing Machine Charlie missions."

And why wouldn't you be able to do this on the Marianas map that we're getting?

• 1 month later...
"Why not Guadalcanal? A total land/sea/air environment in a condensed area. The amount of unique missions is staggering. Air to air, shipping attacks, surface engagements, carrier warfare, troop support, Washing Machine Charlie missions."

And why wouldn't you be able to do this on the Marianas map that we're getting?

I hope we are getting it soon.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...