TACAN Removed from Khasab?

Sedlo

I think it was deemed unrealistic, as it is meant for NATO airbases.

On that note, has anybody found a way how to use portable TACAN available as a static object?

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

On that note, has anybody found a way how to use portable TACAN available as a static object?

That's incorrect. The TACAN specifications are publicly available, and have been so for decades. Although MOOG Inc. in Utah is probably the largest supplier of TACANs for the US and their allies, there is actuallt a TACAN manufacturer located in China (PRC, not TW). Several of the countries around the Persian Gulf (including Iran) have TACANs at their non-NATO airbases.

Does Khasab have a TACAN IRL? I don't know (I haven't found a public AIP for Oman yet, and airbases are often not included in these anyway), but there is no reason why they couldn't, being an ally of the US.

The current beacons.lua for the PG map is bugged, as documented in several other bug reports. If you want the TACAN back, and don't feel like waiting for ED to fix it, add the following to your beacons.lua file (note that it'll probably not be playable at servers that enforce the integrity check):

{
       display_name = _('Khasab');
       beaconId = 'airfield10_2';
       type = BEACON_TYPE_TACAN;
       callsign = 'KSB';
       frequency = 113700000.000000;
       channel = 84;
       position = { 667.781860, 15.763658, -91.611923 };
       direction = 88.473189;
       positionGeo = { latitude = 26.177844, longitude = 56.240980 };
       sceneObjects = {'t:-1265041393'};
   };

Who said this!? Quote please. Not only is it designated as "military" on every airport information service I can find https://skyvector.com/airport/OOKB/Khasab-Airport , it's where No. 14 Squadron RAFO's NH-90 SAR use as a detched base of operations and there's plenty of military activity through the long standing Omani conenctions with the British RAF.

Here's a Jaguar landing there:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yivDchZymOE

Despite that, no record of a permanent TACAN that I can find. It would have made more sense on the ridgeline anyway, because that place is like a hole in a rock. There is a VOR DME about 40km south.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Had a quick gander on Google Earth, I can't see anything resembling a TACAN at Khasab... I know it's not the best resource, but maybe it is realistic it not being there...

Hopefully the mobile one will get implemented...

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Portable Tacan and RSBN and other server sided beacons in the core game is the way to. You can do this with scripting, but TACAN is notoriously buggy in multiplayer and can just stop working. I'd vote for keep the real beacons first, as much as I miss my KSB.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Actually, all the navaids at Khasab in the sim are fictional, since there is no ILS there IRL, and there is no way you could install one with the geography of the area. The valley is way too narrow for there to be any chance of getting a usable localizer signal beyond the immidiate area around the airport.

• 2 months later...

Has been a while since I went there and yesterday I was wondering why the TCN didn't pick up on 84X there. First though was I remembered the channel wrong, but apparently it's been removed... things like that or constantly changing tower freqencies (hello there, Al Dhafra @ 126.800) are what makes one mad in the pit.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 4 months later...

The TACAN station has disappeared from the map.

I recently found out that the TACAN station, which had been there for a long time, disappeared from Khasab Airport. I am aware that some other TACAN stations have been added (such as Al-Minhad) but I do not know why the TACAN station was removed from Khabab Airport. I understand adding new things, but when something is removed, we should know if it's a benefit. And I honestly don't see anything beneficial in removing radionavigation equipment.

For the map of the Persian Gulf, for example, the author of the Papi series FLIP charts is created,https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wvFmgldvNmaGwgORQykxH3h81aSuyQar/view which includes a procedure where the TACAN approach is at Khasab Airport. These charts are also part of LotAtc. These charts reach practically professional standards and I think we should not frustrate the efforts of people who have devoted enough time to this product.

• ED Team

Threads merged.

Yes if anyone has information for a TACAN at Khasab let me know, real world it does not seem to have one.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

At present, I have no data that there is a TACAN at Khasab Airport in the real world, but I can ask the same question at Al-Minhad Airport. Does Al-Minhad have a TACAN in the real world? He was not there at the time the map was released and you decided to add it later. So I still don't understand why on one part of the map it has to correspond to the real world and on the other it can be fictitious?

Does Al-Minhad have a TACAN in the real world?

Yes. Here it is: https://www.google.com/maps/place/25%C2%B001'38.0%22N+55%C2%B023'44.0%22E/@25.0271713,55.3952908,254m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d25.0272222!4d55.3955556

Specifically, this is a VORTAC, where a TACAN is co-located with a DVOR. The TACAN antenna (e.g. dB Systems 900-series) sits on top of a fiberglass structure that typically covers the central alford loop antenna used for the DVOR carrier. The DVOR carrier atenna is the same type as the 48 sideband antennas, so it's very easy to differentiate between a VOR/DME and a VORTAC with decent aerial/satellite photos.

• 3 months later...

There is no published radio navigation aid in the Oman AIP. Khasab being a military field, housing only the 14sq SAR detachment of NH-90 helicopters, it doesn't really need one.

Bad weather operations are surely kept to a bare minimum(and there aren't many bad-wx days there normally anyway), when these helicopters can use ILS/GPS arrival procedures or ground-controlled approach (PAR) for runway 19 - thus there's no need for a TACAN to be maintained there.