AAR, does the basket push against the jet? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
Akula

Default AAR, does the basket push against the jet?

Doing AAR and noticing real life footage where the jet hooks up and the basket acts as a brake once connected. Does this happen in DCS? Is there at least *some* resistance to slow the jet down once it connects?
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #2
Bloodhound57

Not currently. Wags said awhile back that they are going to rework the basket logic / physics. Cant wait for that.
Bloodhound57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
[Maverick]

The basket does not act as a brake IRL, it might just look this way from videos etc.

Inside the refuelling pod is a system to retract the hose as the receiver makes contact with it to stop the hose whiplashing back down towards the aircraft.

It reels the hose in and allows it to roll out as required based on what position the receiver is in.

The reworked basket physics that Wags mentioned was in relation to the receiver bow wave pushing the basket up and to the right just before contact.

104th Phoenix Commanding Officer / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero

"Dammit Jim, I'm a Squadron Leader, not a software developer!"

www.104thPhoenix.com
www.facebook.com/104thPhoenix
104th F-15C Skin
My YouTube Channel
[Maverick] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
Akula

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Maverick] View Post
The basket does not act as a brake IRL, it might just look this way from videos etc.
I disagree. It does not make sense to think that the basket would not push up against the jet IRL and I'll bet that pilots use this resistance to brace the probe up against the basket while taking fuel. Those baskets are travelling anywhere between 200 and 300 knots so they will generate a significant amount of drag. I'll post this question to some real F-18 pilots and see what they say.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #5
ST0RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula View Post
I'll post this question to some real F-18 pilots and see what they say.
You're still going to be wrong.

The drogue is simply flying along in the slipstream and has no forces to stop or slow the receiver aircraft. The hose is just that, a hose. If you have too much closer speed, you'll cause it to whip and may cause the drogue to snap off or become damaged. The drogue itself isnt reinforced against collisions or hard contacts.

The other type of drogue, the Boom Drogue Adapter (BDA) is tougher, but again does not act as a brake.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
Akula

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST0RM View Post
You're still going to be wrong.

The drogue is simply flying along in the slipstream and has no forces to stop or slow the receiver aircraft. The hose is just that, a hose. If you have too much closer speed, you'll cause it to whip and may cause the drogue to snap off or become damaged. The drogue itself isnt reinforced against collisions or hard contacts.

The other type of drogue, the Boom Drogue Adapter (BDA) is tougher, but again does not act as a brake.
And you know this how????
Old 02-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #7
robgraham

actually the basket does cause some minor push back, the resistance in the jetstream plus the actual spool effects means that you have a minor amount of push, it's not like hitting a wall or anything like that but it is there in the real world not to mention some other effects that aren't modelled currently in DCS like the fact the drogue has a minor amount of 'leading' as well no where near as much as the boom but it's there.. it's still attached to the tanker and while it's flexable it becomes a lot more ridgid when it's pumping fuel under pressure.

Wags and others in the ED team have already mentioned that there aware of the limits in the current system and we'll see it updated 'eventually'. Hopefully that means things like nose bubble, slip stream effects (which given we are getting some of those finally for all ac is nice), couple physics, and maybe even some physics for the drogue hitting our plane and moving around rather then going through it? What would also be nice is if the tanker talked to the pilot like he would in real life and warned about up coming turns
Old 02-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #8
Akula

Thanks... This will make AAR much easier so storm, maybe you should uninstall when they implement the change since it will make AAR easier.

Last edited by Akula; 02-11-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #9
flyco

The physics insists that there is a push if you move the basket in from its neutral position, and a pull if you move it out. I suspect that it is going to be only a few pounds, but it must exist, otherwise there would be nothing stopping it moving back and forth of its own volition.

When trailing there is drag trying to extend it, balanced by a mechanical pull from the hose mechanism itself, trying to retract it.
flyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #10
ST0RM

Quote:
And you know this how????
Because I have 4000+ hours on the KC-135, smart guy.

Quote:
Thanks... This will make AAR much easier so storm, maybe you should uninstall when they implement the change since it will make AAR easier.

And maybe Ace Combat might be more your speed. Low...

Last edited by ST0RM; 02-11-2019 at 06:08 PM.
ST0RM is offline   Reply With Quote