DCS : F4U-1 Corsair

Hueyman

There is no technical difference between Ki-84-Ia and Ib, except for armament and possibly installation of low pressure fuel injection. Thus same Ki-84 that flew in late 1944 would not differ from Ki-84 flying over Okinawa in 1945 (not taking into account degradation of fuel, manufacturing, maintenance and so on ...). I stand on this that F4U-4 would find no proper opposition here, and as much as word balance has little meaning in any serious sim, there is also that thing reflecting the impact of the machine on the events - and F4U-4 had minimal impact if compared to F4U-1d.

As a matter of fact I cant recall a single operation in which pilots of 343 Kokutai would tackle with F4U-4, and that unit participated in every decent operation over Okinawa and Southern Japan in Spring and Summer 1945.

Again, I dont mind the fighter itself. Beautiful warbird (though I'm more into ground pounding and so AU-1 comes in my mind) but dont see any greater scenario for it :dunno:

The F4U-4 saw action in the Phillipines campaign as well as during the latter stages of Operation Iceberg at Okinawa, so I think there would be plenty of chances for it to run into Ki-84's or N1K2J's both of which would be proper opposition in my book, besides from being historical as well ofcourse.

AFAIK the F4U-4 saw intense action from the day it entered operational frontline service to the end of the war six months later, and considering that the other WW2 birds we have ingame atm are all late war planes I'd prefer it if the first F4U we get was as well, as it would then be a fun match up for the planes we already have.

Edited by Hummingbird

The F4U-4 saw action in the Phillipines campaign as well as during the latter stages of Okinawa, so I think there would be plenty of chances for it to run into Ki-84's or N1K2J's.

AFAIK the F4U-4 saw intense action from the day it entered operational frontline service to the end of the war six months later.

Dont have any better sources, but this claims :

The F4U-4 arrived in combat early in 1945. Therefore, it had only about six months to establish its combat record against the Japanese. However, the big fighter remained in service throughout the Korean War, where along with the F4U-5, it gained a sterling reputation for delivering ordnance with great accuracy.

http://www.classicfighters.org/content/chance-vought-f4u-4-corsair-history

And nope, I just went through this book : http://www.amazon.com/Gendas-Blade-Japans-Squadron-Kokutai/dp/1903223253

Not a single F4U-4 is mentioned in combat even though there are multiple operations presented (22nd June 1945 when VMF-113 flying FG-1D, 2nd July 1945 when VMF-224 and VFM-311 flew F4U-1d and F4U-1c or big battle over Bungo Straits on 24th July 1945 with VBF-1 flying FG-1D, etc).

I'd assume that F4U-4 due to its rapid rate of climb could have been forced very often into operations against Kamikaze.

I would love a Zero as well, but the most fun opponent for that would be the F4F Wildcat in the case of the A6M2 or the F6F Hellcat in the case of the A6M5.

Pitting the Zero against the Corsair wouldn't be much fun.

Can always bring a Tony, that one was claimed by a few Corsair pilots to be toughest opponent encountered in 1943.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Dont have any better sources, but this claims :

http://www.classicfighters.org/content/chance-vought-f4u-4-corsair-history

And nope, I just went through this book : http://www.amazon.com/Gendas-Blade-Japans-Squadron-Kokutai/dp/1903223253

Not a single F4U-4 is mentioned in combat even though there are multiple operations presented (22nd June 1945 when VMF-113 flying FG-1D, 2nd July 1945 when VMF-224 and VFM-311 flew F4U-1d and F4U-1c or big battle over Bungo Straits on 24th July 1945 with VBF-1 flying FG-1D, etc).

The F4U-4's involvement in the Phillipine campaign and during Operation Iceberg is described in Vought F4U Corsair by James D'Angina.

The F4U-4 supposedly saw a lot of action in the six months it had at the frontlines. The first marine group to recieve the aircraft was MAG-14.

Fun fact: G.I.'s refered to the F4U-4 as the "sweetheart of Okinawa".

Can always bring a Tony, that one was claimed by a few Corsair pilots to be toughest opponent encountered in 1943.

Zero is a lot more famous though and would attract a lot more customers.

Edited by Hummingbird

If a couple variants of certain aircraft were available, the whole issue of what-fought0what could be handled in the server missions.

6 BF109-Gx

2 BF109-K4

4 P-47

4 P-51

or

6 F4U-1

2 F4U-4

and matching period Zekes

Server restrictions can be a bugger for pilots wanting to take the best, but for those of us who like specific match-ups, it would be great to see the variants.

Dogs of War Squadron

Call sign "HeadHunter" P-51D /Spitfire Jockey

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR /Q9650 3.6Ghz | 16GB DDR3 1600 RipJaws | EVGA GTX-1060 ACX3 FTW | ThrustMaster 16000m & G13 GamePad w/analog rudder stick | TurtleBeach EarForce PX22 | Track IR5 | Vizio 40" 4K TV monitor (stuck temporarily with an Acer 22" :( )

The F4U-4's involvement in the Phillipine campaign and during Operation Iceberg is described in Vought F4U Corsair by James D'Angina.

The F4U-4 supposedly saw a lot of action in the six months it had at the frontlines. The first marine group to recieve the aircraft was MAG-14.

Fun fact: G.I.'s refered to the F4U-4 as the "sweetheart of Okinawa".

Zero is a lot more famous though and would attract a lot more customers.

It is also mentioned in "US Marine Corps Fighter Squadrons of WWII" by Barrett Tillman (Osprey Publishing).

content?id=CMwfAwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=5&edge=curl&imgtk=AFLRE733PrGq2zP-A7lFSZN-BiH7MKHQq_ZJl9KZYqgnXeu8WMdY-Rjz0tp_T8ta8BSNuTtWyQo7nBZm2bDsKhRCHa0yhRE4AwzwKJnCD1M_pnZfq8T0YjUHyUCHH5c46tnzPUN0f4xV

Here are quotes from page 78 and onward from this book:

Operating in the Philippines, MAG-14 pilots chafed at missing the unprecedented hunting in Okinawa. Col Edward Montgomery, newly in command, received F4U-4's in mid May, with his squadron spending two weeks learning to fly and maintain the ultimate wartime Corsair. VMF-212, VMF-222 and VMF-223 arrived at Kadena on June 8th. They narrowly missed Kikusui No.9, which committed only 50 aircraft over five days. VMF-212 claimed first blood for the new Corsair with a "Val" destroyed two days later.

According to VMF-223's diary, in the brief combat "the F4U-4 proved it could out-climb, out-dive and out-fly the Tojo, and since the enemy aircraft did not stay to find out, it is thought that the Tojo pilots shared this opinion".

Edited by El Hadji

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My computer specs below:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K@4.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 | GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 680 2GB Lightning 2GB VRAM @1.3GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 | SSD 1: Corsair Force 3 120GB (SATA 6) | SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (SATA 6) | Hybrid disc: Seagate Momentus Hybrid 500/4GB (SATA 3) | Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 | Mouse: QPAD 5K LE | TrackIR 5 + Track Clip Pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind | OS: Win7/64

something cool to hang up in your computer/gaming room? ;)

http://aviationshoppe.com/chance-vought-f4u-corsair-gen-p-301.html

ww2_vought-f4u-corsair_engineering.jpg.1c7e1038652e78ccd4709d7a2b972c68.jpg

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

hope we get 2 versions of the corsair. F4u1D and the the Late war F4u4 which also saw service into the korean war.

Also pitting corsairs in a fictional "what if" scenario against bf109k4or the Fw190 d9 would be interesting.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

It would be pretty cool to get a Korean War map/scenario with F-86, P-51 and Corsairs all going at it against some MiG-15's and a horde of NK armor...

Agreed. Let's not for get the F-80 too. Plus, I think the NK had IL-2s, but not many.

Toten

Tiger-Spit-Viggen-Fishbed-Sabre-Dora-Kurfurst-Mustang-Huey-Warthog-Hip-Black Shark Driver (Not necessarily in that order)

MSI 970A-G40 MoBo, AMD FX-8350 8 Core, Patriot Viper 24 GB DDR3, Nvidia Ge Force 1060 3 GB GPU

Plus, I think the NK had IL-2s, but not many.

Are you sure that they had Il-2? I've read only about 93 Il-10. But, of course, I can't assert.

Спойлер

ASRock X570, Ryzen 9 3900X, Kingston HyperX 64GB 3200 MHz, XFX RX6900XT MERC 319 16GB, SSD for DCS - Patriot P210 2048GB, HP Reverb G2.

WINWING Orion 2 throttle, VPC Rotor Plus TCS + Hawk-60 grip, VPC WarBRD + MongoosT-50CM2/V.F.X (F-14) grips. Logitech G940 pedals🥲

I was about to ask weren't they il-10s rather than il-2 too. Anyway a late il-2 is may be a better hypotethical choice for it can both serve in ww2 & masquerade as a il-10 for Korea in a pinch. That is, if anyone ever decide doing an Ilyushin.

BTW we are turning Corsair thread into a Korea thread :D

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Maybe it was the IL-10. Been a while since I researched it. I always believed that the Korean Peninsula made a great map for sims. I always enjoyed the deep strikes in Falcon 4.0, but that is OT. The Korean war wouldn't be hard to get to since we already have Migs, Sabres, Mustangs and soon the Corsair. Add the Shooting Star and a little Bell helicopter and we could have some fun.

Edited by Toten

Toten

Tiger-Spit-Viggen-Fishbed-Sabre-Dora-Kurfurst-Mustang-Huey-Warthog-Hip-Black Shark Driver (Not necessarily in that order)

MSI 970A-G40 MoBo, AMD FX-8350 8 Core, Patriot Viper 24 GB DDR3, Nvidia Ge Force 1060 3 GB GPU

BTW we are turning Corsair thread into a Korea thread :D

exactly, back on topic.. :);):thumbup:

http://www.airvectors.net/avf4u.html

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

F4

If I were going to model a US Navy prop aircraft for the Sim I would make the AD-4 Skyraider first. It would go well in an arena with the Mig15 and Sabre. (And a later arena with Mig21's and what ever future development comes along) It has not been often modelled in Sims and never to anywhere near the DCS level of accuracy. Once the AD-4 and some type of CV were implemented its only a matter of time before the sexy F9F would make an appearance :)

Maybe it was the IL-10. Been a while since I researched it. I always believed that the Korean Peninsula made a great map for sims. I always enjoyed the deep strikes in Falcon 4.0, but that is OT. The Korean war wouldn't be hard to get to since we already have Migs, Sabres, Mustangs and soon the Corsair. Add the Shooting Star and a little Bell helicopter and we could have some fun.

:thumbup: Korean map would make sense for so many reasons and could be adapted for many periods of aviation. Sadly you can't ever find a Korean War server up anymore for the Mig/F-86 so I don't see the Corsair having much of a future in that conflict unless they make a map.

I do however think the devs choose the right aircraft for WWII. It saw consistent combat for a long period and through several important campaigns. This developer seems to have a plan and I'll look forward to seeing what opposition they place in this theater.

Nice link, but with mistakes in it, the first picture (corsair 799) is an F4U-1D ! (not a A)

And the third picture (corsair 56) is an F4U-1A ! (not a D)

:smilewink:

I'm not sure about 799th. It's canopy and cutouts are not original.Check for BuNo 17799.

17799 (c/n 3884 ??) SOC Aug 31, 1945. Acquired by MGM for a

film that was never made. Noted derelict outside MGM

studio in 1969. To the Air Museum, Ontario, CA in 1970.

Registered N83782 Sep 1977 at Planes of Fame, Chino, CA as NX83782. Flew in

TV series "Baa Baa Black Sheep"

And I'm not sure about 56th.

However, I love only "Birdcage" Corsairs and don't want to argue about other ugly aircrafts. :b

Спойлер

ASRock X570, Ryzen 9 3900X, Kingston HyperX 64GB 3200 MHz, XFX RX6900XT MERC 319 16GB, SSD for DCS - Patriot P210 2048GB, HP Reverb G2.

WINWING Orion 2 throttle, VPC Rotor Plus TCS + Hawk-60 grip, VPC WarBRD + MongoosT-50CM2/V.F.X (F-14) grips. Logitech G940 pedals🥲

I'm not sure about 799th. It's canopy and cutouts are not original.

Ho, yes i forgot to check numbers, by the way it's a bit undelicate to put pictures of non original planes caracteristics :( an F4U-1A restored with an F4U-1D canopy...

This is the same about 56 (Bu 50375) F4U-1D restored with an F4U-1A canopy....

They should make an exchange !!! :D

1280px-Corsair_nt_bewerkt.jpg

I'm just hoping a period correct carrier goes along with it. That's the big point for me.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.