Why not more map development? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-07-2017, 05:18 AM   #21
robert.clark251

Reputation power: 4
robert.clark251 has a spectacular aura aboutrobert.clark251 has a spectacular aura aboutrobert.clark251 has a spectacular aura about

Heres a little motivational video in hopes a vietnam map is on the horizon. We NEED this!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ryo02Qw1-c&t=99s

Last edited by robert.clark251; 02-07-2017 at 05:20 AM.
robert.clark251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:02 PM   #22
Goa

Reputation power: 0
Goa is infamous around these partsGoa is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.clark251 View Post
Heres a little motivational video in hopes a vietnam map is on the horizon. We NEED this!!!!

motivational video? so nice looking at people being burned ah?? first they killed thousands of civilians in that "motivationl footage" , secondly the music is pure garbage.
We need an european scenario like the balcans or iraq area .
Goa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #23
rrohde
Veteran

Reputation power: 31
rrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
But I also appreciate that ED has very high standards of development. This is understandable, as maps are not static and need to interact with the existing aircraft in terms of ATC and navigation.
This!

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.1GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB VRAM | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | Corsair LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM | 27" Acer Monitor (2560x1440) | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit | Oculus Rift CV1

Old 02-16-2017, 12:53 AM   #24
Zimmerdylan

Reputation power: 13
Zimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really niceZimmerdylan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.clark251 View Post

I don't find it all that motivational...........
Zimmerdylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:13 AM   #25
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Reputation power: 100
SiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to behold

More maps are going to come from ED after SoH, they just arent ready to discuss them until they get a little closer.

The map tools are quite complex and have taken a lot of work to develop them. This includes the standalone editor, as well as 3D Studio Max plugins. They are still being developed as they hammer down the standard for these maps, the map tech has even evolved as we have been getting NTTR and are close to Normandy and the New Caucasus map.

Anyone with the skill and ability to do this type of work can apply to ED to get access to these tools, but giving them away freely isnt part of the plan right now.

I believe other 3rd parties are actively working with the ED map team, helping with testing and developing the tools as well as developing their own maps. Of course until these projects are closer to release, we wont get much info.

Its not what you want to hear of course, but its where we are at. I feel like once we hit the merge and more maps get put out, the maps will start moving much faster through development.

SiThSpAwN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:14 PM   #26
Neil Gardner

Neil Gardner is an unknown quantity at this point

I really welcome this thread as it is something that has been on my mind for some time. I think it is fair to say that the aircraft now in DCS are first class, they would rival the quality of models in any platform. But the business of scenery has been the weak spot for a while. I've no problem with the quality of the scenery - though it is good to hear that further detail is being built in to the Caucuses - and the Nevada map is beautiful. Also its great that other maps are in development, Straits of Hormuz, Normandy etc. But to be honest I think that what is really needed is BIGGER maps. Especially now that there are jet fighters, covering the whole map does not take too much time at all, they need more room to range around in, I have to say that if something the size of ORBX open LC were supplied Id be over the moon. It wouldn't all need intense detail because this is all about Flight, not looking at pretty scenery. I take the point about interacting with the maps, but perhaps only certain areas would need be interacted with? But with the expansion in the sophistication , speed and range of the aircraft I do think it will become more and more important that the range of environmental possibilities increase also.

Neil

Last edited by Neil Gardner; 02-19-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Neil Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #27
Neil Gardner

Neil Gardner is an unknown quantity at this point

Excuse me adding an addendum but I just wanted to say how much I enjoy DCS and the level of detail and sophistication is often breath -taking. So I didn't want to imply that it might be easy to do what I've suggested, to reproduce that amount of detail over a larger area would certainly take time..
Neil Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #28
frodrigues2016

frodrigues2016 is infamous around these partsfrodrigues2016 is infamous around these partsfrodrigues2016 is infamous around these partsfrodrigues2016 is infamous around these parts
Send a message via Yahoo to frodrigues2016
Smile map

I like to fly above coastlines or a lot of islands so i would like to see a map with many islands.

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------
Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34
Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.
frodrigues2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #29
Double_D

Reputation power: 12
Double_D is just really niceDouble_D is just really niceDouble_D is just really niceDouble_D is just really niceDouble_D is just really niceDouble_D is just really niceDouble_D is just really niceDouble_D is just really niceDouble_D is just really niceDouble_D is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodrigues2016 View Post
I like to fly above coastlines or a lot of islands so i would like to see a map with many islands.
Hawaii ... Pearl Harbor senario...
Old 02-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #30
BlackLion213

Reputation power: 9
BlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really niceBlackLion213 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodrigues2016 View Post
You mean like this:

There are lots of other small and large islands in the northern part of the Strait. Matched with the craggy topography of Oman and mangrove swamps on the coast of Iran, it will be a very interesting place to fly.

Also, the maps will get bigger over time. Wags has said this in the past, but the growth has to be incremental to deliver the quality that ED desires. The high detail area of the Strait of Hormuz map is set to be the largest yet (390 km x 390 km) with a large low detail area around it (from what has been said).

This map in particular would benefit substantially from a large low detail since the areas around the Strait (in a east-west direction at least) are largely water. It would really increase the operational flexibility of the map if the low detail area to the east extended into the Northern Arabian Sea. It was common for aircraft carriers on GONZO station (Gulf of Oman Northern Zone) to spend a lot of their time in the Arabian Sea off Oman. This allowed them to conduct training (CQ, intercept training) in a lower threat environment and would also move to this area while on alert status (many carriers on GONZO would carry out flight ops 5-6 days per week with 1-2 days of alert status in between - often further east in the Gulf of Oman or in the Arabian Sea).

As with Normandy, these low detail areas could be really helpful for a lot of different gameplay aspects. I hope it is considered.

-Nick
BlackLion213 is offline   Reply With Quote