Question about altitude/altimeter.

artmustel

Hello. This is something that must be a very basic and simple matter but It is bothering me a lot. In several missions, mainly landing missions (same for the P-51 and the Spitfire) the altimeter is not showing altitude with respect to ground, but a very higher one. even if I manage to land more or less correctly, I look at the altimeter and it shows over 1000 feet altitude. Now, on the takeoff missions, altimeter shows 0 as I am still on the runway. Why this happens, what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

The best thing to show you how it all works is to do a Wikipedia search on QFE QNH and QNE.

The atmosphere is a series of forever changing air pressures. You need to understand how to set the altitude for whatever task you are performing. A search will fill you in on the background, theory and practice of setting the altimeter correctly.

Hello. This is something that must be a very basic and simple matter but It is bothering me a lot. In several missions, mainly landing missions (same for the P-51 and the Spitfire) the altimeter is not showing altitude with respect to ground, but a very higher one. even if I manage to land more or less correctly, I look at the altimeter and it shows over 1000 feet altitude. Now, on the takeoff missions, altimeter shows 0 as I am still on the runway. Why this happens, what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

When you are sitting on the runway on a cold start, the altimeter is never set. You have to set it manually to keep things accurate. The way that I do it is: I hit F10 and look at the actual altitude of the plane as it sits on the map. I then use LShift+B and that winds the altimeter very quickly to within a few feet of the actual alt you saw on the map, and then use the knob to get it exact. Using the mouse with the knob takes an aweful long time. If you overshoot using LShift+B , then you can use LCtrl+B to fast wind it backwards.

This is the quickest and easiest way that I have found.

Everyone has their way of doing things....This is just the way I have found it to be easiest. :book:

Edited by Zimmerdylan

• 3 weeks later...

There seems to be a problem with the altimeter in the Spit and 51. The altimeter should read airport elevation within a couple hundred feet when the airplane is sitting on the ramp or runway. I've notice this with the UH-1 also. Before you takeoff, use the F-2 key and while outside the airplane, on the information bar at the bottom of the screen, you will see your altitude. Just set your altimeter to that altitude and you will be reading MSL altitude with some degree of reliability.

RJ

There seems to be a problem with the altimeter in the Spit and 51. The altimeter should read airport elevation within a couple hundred feet when the airplane is sitting on the ramp or runway. I've notice this with the UH-1 also. Before you takeoff, use the F-2 key and while outside the airplane, on the information bar at the bottom of the screen, you will see your altitude. Just set your altimeter to that altitude and you will be reading MSL altitude with some degree of reliability.

RJ

I have just checked the Spit, P-51 and Huey and their altimeters are OK: set to QNH (you can find it in the briefing) and they read airport elevation.

PS: In the Huey there was 40ft of difference, but that should be within limits.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]