best recording file format

ice599

I honestly don't know the answer but since it's been 24 hours since you asked the question....I would assume MP4 would be best but I don't really know.

Having said that, all my recordings have been in MP4 and the quality could be better. They're decent enough but maybe there are better options. Plus Pinnacle Studio seems to not handle them as well as I wish it did so I think I lose some quality there too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A lot of people, myself included, use GeForce Experience to record, and the only option with that is MP4, unfortunately. I find the quality quite good and file size manageable on 1080p, but my video editor (Davinci Resolve) doesn't like working with MP4s so I have to convert them. I hear ProRes gives best quality for editing, but my converted files are 8x the size of the originals with that format. When I have 25GB of footage for one video, that's 200GB of converted ProRes footage. Impractical to say the least. At the moment I just convert to DNxHD and I literally cannot tell a difference between my final rendered movie and the original game.

My set up is.....

Nvidia Shadowplay-4k.60fps (mp4).

Adobe Audition (audio conversion)

Davinci Resolve (editing & colour grade)

Exporting to 2560x1360 (h.265) for web display.

Cheers

Jafa

[sIGPIC]picture.php?albumid=1526&pictureid=9861[/sIGPIC]

Hey Jafa, does Davinci Resolve work with mp4 for you? Whenever I try it I get massive stuttering and frequent audio desyncs, so I always convert to DNxHD for editing.

Video works fine but the audio has to be reprocessed , I do this through Audition , there has been much discussion about shadow play over at the Blackmagic forums but as far as I know still no solution.

Cheers

Jafa

What format do you convert the audio to?

WavPcm/48hz/32.bit.float

If memory serves me well its the same what shadowplay pumps out but for whatever reason Resolve just dosnt like it from shadowplay.

Cheers

Jafa

Edited by jafa