The Rookie Thread

I still can't see how to detect targets and have them displayed on my nav, aside from preprogrammed targets.

Mk I eyballs and shkval. It helps to read the briefing so you know where to expect targets. You can store them in the abris via the datalink panel. Watch the fine producer's note about dl for how to's or RTM.

cheers

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I still can't see how to detect targets and have them displayed on my nav, aside from preprogrammed targets. I think I went through all the combat tutorials and don't recall any mention of this.

Read Chapter 7 of the flight manual, and/or watch the Producer's Notes on the Data Link.

edit: beaten badly by sobek!

Right, so from what I understand I can only ID targets that I spot visually and save into the computer? This seems like such a huge disadvantage especially on a game because with the graphics sometimes it's hard to spot different things in urban areas. Also, do you have any tips to tell friend from foe?

Sorry for the newb questions, but I'm obviously not familiar with Russian equipment and this is my first helicopter sim. Which is still great, I love it, but I also hope they eventually add the Longbow now just to change the pace with more up to date technology, plus co-op as a gunner/pilot would be a lot of fun. But, then they would need a voip system too.

But, anyway thanks guys I see I have a lot of practicing to do now. Any tips related to spotting/input is appreciated.

Edited by Valiant Shield

Right, so from what I understand I can only ID targets that I spot visually and save into the computer?

You don't have to save them, just fire and forget about them :)

Saving them makes only sense if you want to relay them to your wingie or store their pos for later engagement for whatever reason(the storing process is a bit cumbersome).

Sorry for the newb questions, but I'm obviously not familiar with Russian equipment and this is my first helicopter sim. Which is still great, I love it, but I also hope they eventually add the Longbow now just to change the pace with more up to date technology, plus co-op as a gunner/pilot would be a lot of fun. But, then they would need a voip system too.

But, anyway thanks guys I see I have a lot of practicing to do now. Any tips related to spotting/input is appreciated.

Sorry to dissappoint you, but it's going to be the A version, not the longbow. D version systems are mostly still classified.

For target ID it mostly helps to know where friendly and enemy troops are situated and where they are headed (from the briefing), once you have some situational awareness you can often determine their faction by looking at which direction they are moving in or where they are facing.

Come let's eat grandpa!

As soon as you exit a Mission [Esc] you will get the following screen:

Scr_09-05-27_13-00-17.jpg

Just hit 'Save Track' and follow the prompts to enter a Track Name. The Track will then be saved in your Missions/Tracks Folder. Copy and Upload it through 2shared or the like.

ok, i uploaded the file and the link is: http://www.2shared.com/file/5988590/7c125bc4/track1.htmlhttp://www.2shared.com/file/5988590/7c125bc4/track1.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

http://www.war-hawks.net

is recruiting.

http://www.war-hawks.net/private/index.php/recruitform

Hi guys,

are the inward stations work the same as the outward or i'm missing something? i noticed when using inward you need to adjust altitude. I found the inward a little bit harder than the outward or is it just me not using it properly? I don't know if it is my joystick not responding sometimes unless i move it abruptly or a bug in the game?

Thanks.

My track can be found here: http://www.2shared.com/file/5988590/...c4/track1.html

Edited by InFireBaptize
Added track link

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ATI 4870 1GB Cat. 10.8 | Windows 7 64 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek x52 | 4GB DDR2 | E8400 O.C 3.8 Ghz | The Logitech® G9 Laser Mouse

is recruiting.

Not quite sure i understand the situation (sorry, have not checked your track), however...

the Outboard and Inboard pylons are likely to hold different weapons ...

If the Outboard pylons have Vhikrs , then they have the ablity to defelect up / down themselves automatically + or - 15 degrees (? double check as I have just guessed a figure here)....check this by arming Vhikrs, lock a target point, switch to an outside view (F2) , and gently rock the cyclic back or forwards...you will see the Vhikr launch pod deflect automatically to keep the seeker head of the Missles alligned vertically with the current Shkval target...very cool.

Anything on the inboard pylons will be rockets, fuel tanks or bomb's...non of which have the ability to deflect + / - , and so must (in the case of rockets) be fired "boresite" ...

Laser ranging information and Ballistics information of the type of rocket are taken into account when presenting the rocket firing "target" piper on the HUD, but you will need to manually move the aircraft to point the rocket point of impact marker straight at the Shkval LOS marker both Horizontally and vertically (make sure laser is on standby to get accurate target impact point!)....actually quite difficult to do!

...thus making the 30MM cannon a much better choice IMHO, since it can automatically deflect in all 4 directions!.

i can see the deflection on the shkval when missile from the outward station is fired. But what are the steps required to align the vhikrs with the shkval on my hud when using the inward stations?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is recruiting.

i can see the deflection on the shkval when missile from the outward station is fired. But what are the steps required to align the vhikrs with the shkval on my hud when using the inward stations?

There are no steps, because Vikhr's can't be mounted on the inward stations.

There are no steps, because Vikhr's can't be mounted on the inward stations.

what do you mean? i can see vikhr reticle on the HUD, but it's pain in the butt to get it on the shkval reticle? why is everybody knows more than me here, damn it (sarcasm intended). A lot of you went through the manuals/guide/videos but unfortunately if i do all that my wife would divorce me! so your help is appreciated.

Edited by InFireBaptize

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is recruiting.

A lot of you went through the manuals/guide/videos but unfortunately if i do all that my wife would divorce me!

Don't worry, it's totally worth it.

Regarding your questions, it sounds like you are not being clear about what you are firing. In most missions, the outward pylons are fitted with the Vikhr guided ATGM and the inward pylons with unguided rocket pods. The Vikhr missiles can hinge vertically to keep them pointed toward the target and this helps align them with the Shkval reticle (target). The rockets stations are fixed, so you have to fly the helicopter into the targeting reticle.

Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Don't worry, it's totally worth it.

Regarding your questions, it sounds like you are not being clear about what you are firing. In most missions, the outward pylons are fitted with the Vikhr guided ATGM and the inward pylons with unguided rocket pods. The Vikhr missiles can hinge vertically to keep them pointed toward the target and this helps align them with the Shkval reticle (target). The rockets stations are fixed, so you have to "fly" the helicopter into the targeting reticle.

worth it!, well the other day it was my first time blowing up a target with ATGM and i went nuts, my wife saw me and said "grow up man" loooool.

Ok, i get it now. So how would i have a lock on a target using rockets?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is recruiting.

what do you mean? i can see vikhr reticle on the HUD, but it's pain in the butt to get it on the shkval reticle? why is everybody knows more than me here, damn it (sarcasm intended). A lot of you went through the manuals/guide/videos but unfortunately if i do all that my wife would divorce me! so your help is appreciated.

I had regard to about a minute of your track before RL caught up and had me running again.......What I picked up from the outset is that you are seldomly relying on the Pedals ;)

As time permits I'll get to the whole track, but two things for now:

1 - Fly with Your Feet (Rudder).

2 - Trim, Trim and Trim again.....Often

Re your submission above, use the Rudder to get the reticle's aligned.

• Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

this is the best community that i have been to :-). Many people are taking the time to help.

Thank you very much guys, specially 159th_viper.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is recruiting.

you cannot really "lock" a target with rockets as with the vhikrs, as they are un guided.

You can however get HUD cue's that will try to calculate the impact point of your rockets based of a few things (Rocket Ballistics, altitude , and range).

This is the cue that you are seeing in the HUD if you select the inner pylons (assuming rockets)...it is different from the Vhikr HUD pipper.

If you lock a target with the Shkval, you will see the Shkval Line Of Sight pipper in the HUD.

If you then select Inner pylon (assuming rockets), you will also see the rocket Calculated Impact Point pipper...this will be located somewhere near the middle / top of your HUD and will stay there if you manuever.

The Laser range finder MUST be in standby prior to lockng the target for this to be accurate..it will continue to range for 30 seconds after lock.

You must then use the helicopter primary controls (cyclic and rudder) to align the two reticules, and, if in range (ie less than 2KM's) , you will get a launch authority ("C" in the HUD)...press and hold the weapons launch key, and whatch those rockets fly (you can adjust the number of rockets per shot by selecting "short", "Medium" or "Long" on the weapons panel under the Shkval display).

It is very difficult to be accurate with rockets, and they are considered an "area effect" weapon...

As people have suggested above, you need to trim a LOT to be accurate...try pressing and holding the trim button while lining up the rocket shot, or , even try activating the "flight director" mode on the autopilot panel for lining up the rocket shot.

Best of luck!

You don't have to save them, just fire and forget about them :)

Saving them makes only sense if you want to relay them to your wingie or store their pos for later engagement for whatever reason(the storing process is a bit cumbersome).

Sorry to dissappoint you, but it's going to be the A version, not the longbow. D version systems are mostly still classified.

For target ID it mostly helps to know where friendly and enemy troops are situated and where they are headed (from the briefing), once you have some situational awareness you can often determine their faction by looking at which direction they are moving in or where they are facing.

The only vast difference between the two Apache's is the radar/sensor system isn't it?

& Unfortunately I'm still having some issues with IDing targets I guess. I'm engaging targets who appear to be on the move to the area in which I'm defending, however I'm being penalized after the game for friendly fire. The crazy thing about it is that I always look through the AAR and the only targets it reports me hitting are the M1A2s, which is exactly what I was engaging with the guided missles only. So, I don't understand where the FF is coming from especially when there's only reports of me hitting the enemy in the AAR.

The only vast difference between the two Apache's is the radar/sensor system isn't it?

No, it isn't. There's a huge difference in avionics overall.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

As GG stated, just compare shots of an A model to a D model cockpit, you will see what he means ;)

Come let's eat grandpa!

Greetings everyone!

I'm new to BS, and heli sims in general - and like most noobs the KA-50 boggles my mind most of the time... But I've been skulking around the forums a bit and have picked up some useful tips, and soon hope to be more of a danger to the enemy than I am to myself.... well, I can hope can't i?

So this is me, Pirate. reporting for duty :pilotfly:

Greetings everyone!

I'm new to BS, and heli sims in general - and like most noobs the KA-50 boggles my mind most of the time... But I've been skulking around the forums a bit and have picked up some useful tips, and soon hope to be more of a danger to the enemy than I am to myself.... well, I can hope can't i?

So this is me, Pirate. reporting for duty :pilotfly:

Hi Pirate, welcome to BS. I found the manuals to be very useful also watch youtube videos for procedures on how to do things.

Good luck

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

is recruiting.

i just passed flight school, and i'm moving on to sim mode. so what are the major differences between the two? i.e. laser controls, master arm switch, flare settings

I've never tried game mode, but my guess would be everything, starting with the flight model to just about every internal system, damage susceptibility over-g and apprupt maneuvering tolerance etc.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Problem firing ATGM and unguided missiles

I'm just starting in realistic mode and have a problem firing the ATGM and unguided missile. Pressing space or the joystick trigger does do nothing. I follow the instructions from the in game training mission:

W+LAlt Master Arm Switch

O+RShift Laser Stdby

Y and I Select hard point

N Engage ground moving target

S Select short/med/long

H Targeting cycle

O Select target

Q Auto turn to target

,./; Skew target box

Enter Lock Target

I see a C symbol, but no laser range indicator. Maybe that is the problem?

Using C to engage with Cannon works fine, though.

I'm just starting in realistic mode and have a problem firing the ATGM and unguided missile. Pressing space or the joystick trigger does do nothing. I follow the instructions from the in game training mission:

W+LAlt Master Arm Switch

O+RShift Laser Stdby

Y and I Select hard point

N Engage ground moving target

S Select short/med/long

H Targeting cycle

O Select target

Q Auto turn to target

,./; Skew target box

Enter Lock Target

I see a C symbol, but no laser range indicator. Maybe that is the problem?

Using C to engage with Cannon works fine, though.

Cannon Fire = [Space]

Release Weapons (ATGM/Rockets) = [Space-RAlt]

Ensure that you have mapped your Flightstick inputs accordingly.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'