Auto Hover and Turn on target not working properly...

Hoggorm

Hi,

I can't get the Auto Hover and Turn on target feature to work properly in the Ka-50.

Before engaging the auto hover autopilot, I make sure that I am already basically hovering with less than 15 km/h airspeed and no vertical speed.

Pressing Alt-T the Auto Hover autopilot turns on, but it will not hold the aircraft at the current position. It quickly starts to drift away...

I have the same problem with the auto turn to target. When it is on the aircraft will not turn to the target marked by the helmet sight... Instead it will turn to another heading not in the direction of the target area at all... Often 90 deg offset.

What am I doing wrong here?

Also make sure the PVI-800 isn't active as it tends to mess up a lot of stuff while trying to get weapons on target.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Auto-hover engage < 10km/h

I believe I've tried well below that speed too...

Could it be you have the Flight Director engaged while trying to do this?

Yes, I may very well have had the FD on.

Also make sure the PVI-800 isn't active as it tends to mess up a lot of stuff while trying to get weapons on target.

I see. I'll make sure of that

I've had this happened because the aircraft wasn't properly trim. Make sure to trim the Ka50 when in hover, then engage the auto-hover. The reason for the drift is that the autopilot system doesn't have full authority over the stick and collective. If the forces required to hover the ka-50 are bigger than what the auto-pilot is willing to output, it'll just apply as much as it can (but not enough), thus making the aircraft drift.

Make sure the forces on the cyclic and collective are close to zero (trimmed) in auto-hover before engaging the AP.

As said, you need to be in a near perfect hover, trimmed, before engaging Auto-Hover.

If the PV-800 and ROUTE Mode is still on, it will hover but your nose will always try to point

according to PV-800 coordinates. Disable Route Mode or Disable the WP in PV-800.

Your HuD will also change once those are OFF. Now engage ATTT, it will follow your Shkval.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thank you all. I’ve tried a few more times when trimming the aircraft the best I could. It appears to be working better then as you say.

Do you mean helmet sight or HUD sight ? That is where the AT function should aim at.

I mean the turn direct the target where the Shkval is looking at.

Thank you all. I’ve tried a few more times when trimming the aircraft the best I could. It appears to be working better then as you say.

I mean the turn direct the target where the Shkval is looking at.

Ok I was wondering if you were talking about the helmet reticle or not. Of course the ATTT function does not follow that reticle.

Are you using the allow rudder Yaw trim in the options? I Don't use this, as you need to trim it out to neutral once in hover.

As the others have said, fly the aircraft to the almost perfect hover, direction and position, then use these extra helpers, there not going to be able to correct for major corrections, only to help you out some.

Example: When side on to a 6 knot wind trying to aim, you will need to lean on the rudder pedals, the aircraft will want to weather vane into the wind when trying to hover over a spot on the ground, you may need a little cyclic stick (Trim) into the wind also to help the auto hover hold keep you in the correct position etc.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Turn on target should work regardless of whether you're in a hover or not.

If you turn on the targeting system, set T.O.T. then the HMS, you can fly the helicopter where you want by looking and designating...

Unless you have route following or FD on.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Note that with deffered shading, the AP lights are inverted (Lit when Off and unlit when On) and the button lights on the Auto turn to target, Ground moving target, etc. does not lit, but still works.

Frustrating that a module that once worked more or less flawless, now has become so bugged.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Hi,

I can't get the Auto Hover and Turn on target feature to work properly in the Ka-50.

Before engaging the auto hover autopilot, I make sure that I am already basically hovering with less than 15 km/h airspeed and no vertical speed.

Pressing Alt-T the Auto Hover autopilot turns on, but it will not hold the aircraft at the current position. It quickly starts to drift away...

I have the same problem with the auto turn to target. When it is on the aircraft will not turn to the target marked by the helmet sight... Instead it will turn to another heading not in the direction of the target area at all... Often 90 deg offset.

What am I doing wrong here?

I'm also having the same problem. I'm not sure when this started, but I just noticed it since the latest update. Also note (ED if your reading this) the indicator lights for both of these functions don't work correctly, and the ones that do, are much too dim.

Intel I7-3770K 4.1Ghz water cooled, 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz, PowerColor RX5700XT GPU, Asus P8Z77-V LK motherboard, Windows 10 on 64GB SanDisk SSD, DSC on 500GB Samsung SSD, purchased Cyberpower 11/27/2012

• 1 month later...

I can not turn on Auto Hover when starting at fresh mission.

Ive tried to pinpoint when it works, and I can get it to work, if I first press the Auto Descend button once. Then Auto Hover turns on fine after that. Anyone else have this?

Running OB latest.

• 2 months later...

Ive had difficulty getting auto hover to work in multiplayer . Going to test some more .

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was looking to see if anyone else was having trouble with auto-hover. I am too. I get as close to a hover as I can, near perfect. Trim a couple of times. Hit auto-hover button. Still doesn't want to stay still. There is always some drift. Sometimes barely, others pretty bad. Altitude control always seems to be the worst. If I'm going down still, I try to nudge collective up a bit, thinking it's somehow still too much for the computer control. Doesn't work. I hit F for the collective brake. Looks like something tries to happen, but still doesn't work. Makes it impossible to fly in combat, because you can't try to keep flying with cyclic, collective and rudder, and at the same time, try to lock your target on a barely working shkval.

EDIT: OK, after reading Weta43's posts on how to fly the Shark (by holding down the trim, maneuvering to where you want and then steadying the craft, and then releasing the trimmer ), auto-hover seems to work. You just have to make sure it's under 10 km / hr in speed when you press the auto-hover button. HSI will show a line under the circle, and a line to the side of the circle, in tangent with the circle ( each line crossing through only one point on the circle ). If you move the heli around, the AP will slowly bring the heli back to the point at where you originally set auto-hover ( HSI lines and circle will go back to being in tangent ).

So, after many years of don't hold it down, do hold it down, and on and on and on :p, it seems the correct way now is to hold the trimmer down as you change position. It seems to work. Hopefully, it stays working.

Now I just need a post on when to use Flight Director mode. Which I will make later because it's now 3 AM. :p

Edited by 3WA

Thanks for that info! I guess it's finally settled after all these years on how to use the trimmer button. In the early days, we were always told to just click it. Thinking about it, it makes sense now that it's because the autopilot is negating some of your pull (when you are flying with the AP on), so it's like there are two cyclics. The one you see, and the virtual one, which is where your cyclic really is, which is somewhat lesser in pull ( because the AP has negated part of the pull ). So when you just "click" the trimmer, the AP instantly resets to the position of the physical cyclic ( the non-virtual one), and you get a jump. On the other hand, when you push down and hold the trimmer, the AP lets go (so now there is no negation of your hands force on the stick, i.e. the AP isn't fighting to pull it back to where you were with negative force ), and you have only the real, physical cyclic steering the aircraft, so when you let off, the AP resets to exactly where the physical cyclic is, and there is no jump. Probably also why I am having problems flying with the AP on in hard maneuvers. I remember a long time ago, someone saying how errors in the AP compounded over time, and I'm betting hard maneuvering quickly builds them. I guess I should go to FD mode when I'm "running in" or dodging infra-red missiles / running for cover.

Edited by 3WA

...In the early days, we were always told to just click it.

... flying with the AP on in hard maneuvers...

I think it was said to be done with clicking, as in frequently clicking while slowly moving the controls. But I see how it could be interpreted as one single click after full adjustment.

I always used to use the "pres-n-hold" method, worked like a charm, intill not that long ago. I have a HOTAS without springs or detent on my cyclic and that allows me to adjust the friction, so I can leave the stick in any configuration. When they introduced the "without spring and FFB" trimmer in settings. I tested it and liked it. At first I I continued with that "pres-n-hold", but without knowing I switched my behavior. One day I just realized I had started to click the button freneticaly, like 2-3 times a second. And it actually worked better in most situations. But I think it necessitates a controller as described above and that particular setting. For hard maneuvering though, I hold the button (it's basically the same as FD). I think you can also click the AP emergency off button (whatever it's called) to disable it all together until you're safe.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5