The KA-50 in VR is superb!

Mule

Dumb question #1, I wear prescription glasses, I do need them to fly the sim. Do any of you usually wear them? If so, do you still need to wear them with VR? Thanks,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

And every tech comes with a warning no? TV, Walkman, IPAD, mobile phones, cars, airplanes. Dosage makes the poison. If you play with VR HMD on for hours at a time, I'm *sure* it'll strain your eyes. Just like looking at your phone for 4 straight hours.

+1

They are maybe still too young to see the danger.

Thing is, once you find itout it's WAY too late already :(

I am wearing glasses now to fix computers, and I had eagle like eyes before I turned like 40-43, now at 47 it gets worse real fast. Computer screens take their toll and VR will be no different I am utmost sure.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Dumb question #1, I wear prescription glasses, I do need them to fly the sim. Do any of you usually wear them? If so, do you still need to wear them with VR? Thanks,

I do as well and you likely will need them for VR. First, I bought a pair of glasses with wire frames from zenni optical- they worked well but were still not very comfortable and would smudge if they touched my eye lids. I then bought a set of lenses from vrlenslab.com- these are much better but don't fit the HMD all that well and take ages to ship (from Thailand). I just saw a recommendation for https://vr-lens.eu/ that apparently solve the poor fit troubles and ship quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do as well and you likely will need them for VR. First, I bought a pair of glasses with wire frames from zenni optical- they worked well but were still not very comfortable and would smudge if they touched my eye lids. I then bought a set of lenses from vrlenslab.com- these are much better but don't fit the HMD all that well and take ages to ship (from Thailand). I just saw a recommendation for https://vr-lens.eu/ that apparently solve the poor fit troubles and ship quickly.

I just received my custom lenses from vr-lens.eu and I'm really pleased with them. The view is crystal-clear while looking forwards now, and there's only a slight drop-off in clarity when looking towards the edges of the lenses.

They're hugely more practical and comfortable than wearing glasses. Definitely highly recommended from my side.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

+1

They are maybe still too young to see the danger.

Thing is, once you find itout it's WAY too late already :(

I am wearing glasses now to fix computers, and I had eagle like eyes before I turned like 40-43, now at 47 it gets worse real fast. Computer screens take their toll and VR will be no different I am utmost sure.

Eyes change shape and the lens hardens as a natural part of aging. All of our vision gets worse if we are lucky enough live a long life!

I had eagle like eyes before I turned like 40-43, now at 47 it gets worse real fast.

Hate to tell you buddy - that's not computers, it's middle age starting to bite :-(

It's been happening to people for a lot longer than computers have been around...

I'm coming up for 56 & made it to about 6 months ago without glasses though my eyes had been getting noticeably worse over the last few years.

Bad new is that having got them what I'm finding is that the more I wear them, the more I have to wear them.

As long as the light's ok I can read a book without them for most of the day (don't have them on now), but as soon as I put them on - I can see more clearly, but can't read anything without them for the rest of the day.

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback on the prescription glasses guys.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Hate to tell you buddy - that's not computers, it's middle age starting to bite :-(

It's been happening to people for a lot longer than computers have been around...

I'm coming up for 56 & made it to about 6 months ago without glasses though my eyes had been getting noticeably worse over the last few years.

Bad new is that having got them what I'm finding is that the more I wear them, the more I have to wear them.

As long as the light's ok I can read a book without them for most of the day (don't have them on now), but as soon as I put them on - I can see more clearly, but can't read anything without them for the rest of the day.

I agree !

Having the glasses on for 5min and I can't read a damn thing for the rest of the day without them.

We are getting old..LoL..I guess we have to accept some "minor" changes to our everyday lifestyle.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I am the only one who went back to the flat monitor? haha.

My VR experience started from the old rift DK1, and I've been using CV1 for about an year, but I much prefer 144hz ultrawide monitor with external button boxes and MFDs setup to VR setup for some serious MP missions. This setup still give me the most effective and precise controllability. Of course VR has superb immersion factor but that's it. Then my CV1 is only for solo fun flight. So called 'VR make it much easier' skills, like refueling, formation flight, hovering..these don't matter to me in the flat monitor.

My VR experience started from the old rift DK1, and I've been using CV1 for about an year, but I much prefer 144hz ultrawide monitor with external button boxes and MFDs setup to VR setup for some serious MP missions. This setup still give me the most effective and precise controllability. Of course VR has superb immersion factor but that's it.

This is my experience as well. I bought the HTC Vive in part to try it out with DCS World, but after realizing that I spend the majority of my time looking at the Shkval and the HUD (the Ka-50's visibility is limited anyway), I've decided that I much more prefer an ultrawide monitor with a second monitor for the Shkval and ABRIS. Also it doesn't give me motion sickness :).

Although the sense of presence in VR can't be beat, after a while it does feel pretty gimmicky.

Thanks for the feedback on the prescription glasses guys.

Just a note I normally wear glasses (progressive focus) and for Rift I do not need them at all, it may depend on your eyes and the type of correction you need. Without glasses I'm hard pressed to read my screen (a Dell 30") but in VR with Rift set up and "tuned" to my eyes no problem.

And yes the KA50 looks fairly sweet in VR, I took advantage of the specials last week. Even managed to land it on my first flight. ;)

Also feel that 2.1.x now looks better than 2.0.x in VR but I only use PD of 1.1, I can live with the moire.

About motion sickness, I've been flying Huey and Gazelle with the odd bit of WW2 air planes in VR for about 6 mths and no issues at all now. However when I first got Rift the Huey was an awesome experience then I jumped into the Gazelle and after a short time I had to land and have a break or the flying would end badly,.. and somewhat messy. That only lasted for a short while.

Also gotta say your first few crashes in VR will be an interesting experience. :lol:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Thanks for the feedback FragBum

I think studies are showing that the current generation of kids, who have (or are) grown up in front of monitors are going to have earlier onset of vision issues. When in front of a monitor, your eyes are focused at a fixed focal length and don't move around in your head as much as when looking around at anything but a monitor !! As such, eyes don't get the "exercise" they need to remain supple and able to focus quickly.

Being a victim of this myself PLUS old age, means I definitely have to where glasses to do anything on the computer (or read or drive or ... whatever).

The glasses I use for my computer have Giant Rims so that when flying (using TrackIR), I don't have the rims in my way when looking at the peripheral edges of my monitor. It's bad enough having to wear glasses without them also getting in the way of seeing things !

SnowTiger:joystick:

• 2 weeks later...

but I think that technology is not only better int he world of computers but corrective surgeries etc for eyesight...

I'm a big fan of VR I fly in VR I race in VR and would not do it if it was not in VR..

I've been racing for 15 years have had the TRIPLE screens etc. but would not go back.. plus I now have $k single screen that I love..

I also wear glasses nearly full time except when using VR I have CV1.. I have also learned to touch type

YES the Huey was the only thing that gave me any motion sickness. I had to stop and go lie down it was that bad..

but I was flying around a stationary plane nose in doing circles..(sorry don't know the name of that manoeuvre).

but I was gone it really did my head in however I can do it now without the effects..

Targs,

GTX 1080ti, Asus Hero XI, Intel 9900KF @4.2MHz, 32g DDR4@3200Mhz, 4x 1Tb SSD 1x 400g m.2mvme(boot), 28" Samsung 4k, Saitek X-56 Throttle/Warthog Stick and Saitek Pro Flight Pedals.

Moduls

All of the NATO jets, and all the choppers..

DEDi MP [62AW] The Blackbirds Brisbane

I think studies are showing that the current generation of kids, who have (or are) grown up in front of monitors are going to have earlier onset of vision issues. When in front of a monitor, your eyes are focused at a fixed focal length and don't move around in your head as much as when looking around at anything but a monitor !! As such, eyes don't get the "exercise" they need to remain supple and able to focus quickly.

Being a victim of this myself PLUS old age, means I definitely have to where glasses to do anything on the computer (or read or drive or ... whatever).

The glasses I use for my computer have Giant Rims so that when flying (using TrackIR), I don't have the rims in my way when looking at the peripheral edges of my monitor. It's bad enough having to wear glasses without them also getting in the way of seeing things !

I feel ya. The quick "fix" I went for initially was to get a bigger monitor... A 50'' TV.

Sure there were some minor compatibility issues (mainly with FPS and Hz), but instead of sitting 1-2 feet from my screen, I was 4-5 feet away. That saves a lot of eye stress! I recommend a TV over a monitor any day! (if you have the space)

I enjoy VR, don't get my wrong, but VR can cause eye strain after a while, especially in flight sims (since you're looking for 1 pixel in a haystack). And it is not as crisp or beautiful of an image as you can get on a monitor.

I do enjoy VR, but I wouldn't throw my monitor out the window just yet ;)

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

IMHO, Oculus and the other VR sets are not ready for DCS, the instruments resolution is really bad, even the HUD bearing is not visible unless you move your head forward to read the number, the ABRIS lines and data inside are almost illegibles. The solution I did, was to place the right and left MFD in the MonitorSetup.lua overlapping to the lower right and left corner of the HUD to make them visible.

For other games like Elite Dangerous and most of FPS is perfect and very inmersive.

I think will be ok for DCS when Oculus and the other VR sets, deliver a resolution of 1920 x 1080 each eye

IMHO, Oculus and the other VR sets are not ready for DCS, the instruments resolution is really bad, even the HUD bearing is not visible unless you move your head forward to read the number, the ABRIS lines and data inside are almost illegibles. The solution I did, was to place the right and left MFD in the MonitorSetup.lua overlapping to the lower right and left corner of the HUD to make them visible.

For other games like Elite Dangerous and most of FPS is perfect and very inmersive.

I think will be ok for DCS when Oculus and the other VR sets, deliver a resolution of 1920 x 1080 each eye

Oculus has better than HD currently per eye.

I am flying with the shark since oculus release, went to couple of campaigns no issues at all reading anything, not very crysp and clear offcourse but completely useful even the tiny abris menus. The HUD bearing is easy to read. Do you have CV1 ? Did you setup PD to 1.5 ?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Someone noticed that if you set first options line "textues" to high, the dials are a lot more readable even with pixel density set to 1. I used to set pixel density to 1.5 (with my gtx1070 I did not want to push more) but IMHO textures high and PD1 is better than textures low and PD > 1, both for dials readability and stuttering issues.

P.S. I'm new both for a-10c and ka-50, and I'm trying to learn the a-10. About ka-50, I have not read the manual yet (I've started with the a-10) but yesterday I've tried the startup training mission and even just seeing the blades turn over your head in VR is amazing.

Someone noticed that if you set first options line "textues" to high, the dials are a lot more readable even with pixel density set to 1. I used to set pixel density to 1.5 (with my gtx1070 I did not want to push more) but IMHO textures high and PD1 is better than textures low and PD > 1, both for dials readability and stuttering issues.

P.S. I'm new both for a-10c and ka-50, and I'm trying to learn the a-10. About ka-50, I have not read the manual yet (I've started with the a-10) but yesterday I've tried the startup training mission and even just seeing the blades turn over your head in VR is amazing.

I highly recommend Bunyap's Down on the Range with A10 video's on Youtube.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Don't forget to set you VR "ZOOM" feature..

It really helps see small lettering and targets!

Its a little glitchy, so I highly recommend thinking about where you will decide to bind the key. For some users (like me), once you assign it to the joystick, it can't be easily removed. It will also render that key useless across the game unless its used for VR Zoom.

Hopefully they will fix this but VR zoom is a huge enhancement. When I need to see the lettering on the a10c hud(floating green words) it is crystal clear!

@usmc trev.. That's really not true but I guess its just opinions anyway. VR is awesome in DCS and the only way I fly now!

Edited by SharkBaztard

Don't forget to set you VR "ZOOM" feature..

It really helps see small lettering and targets!

Its a little glitchy, so I highly recommend thinking about where you will decide to bind the key. For some users (like me), once you assign it to the joystick, it can't be easily removed. It will also render that key useless across the game unless its used for VR Zoom.

Hopefully they will fix this but VR zoom is a huge enhancement. When I need to see the lettering on the a10c hud(floating green words) it is crystal clear!

@usmc trev.. That's really not true but I guess its just opinions anyway. VR is awesome in DCS and the only way I fly now!

I have one stupid question, I'm sorry for it. I can image fly in spitfire or P51. There can be all controled by hotas, but how do you control lot of small switches in A10c with oculus?

Very easy. I use the mouse to use all the switches, it sits near my joystick. (trust me, its very immersive) and dont listen to anyone acting like it is hard to find your mouse bc you have the vr headset on. this is not true at all

(I find it funny that people can type a novel with out looking at their keyboard but act like they can't find their butt with the VR headset on ahahah)

Btw, a10c can have mapped Hotas also! Personally it feels more realistic to flip the switches with the mouse in VR.. kind feels like you are reaching around the cockpit as in real life (kinda lol)

on my throttle I have a button mapped to "Clickable cockpit with mouse" or whatever its called.

I also have a bunch of HOTAS stuff mapped to my stick also..depending on what it is (mainly weapon systems)

Edited by SharkBaztard

I already use VR zoom, but with first options line "textures" set to low, even with zoom, letters are blurred; with "textures" set to high they are a bit blurred without zoom, but zooming makes them clearly readable.

Yes, with clickable cockpits I find using mouse the best option: throttle on your left, stick to center, mouse on your right and voiceattack in background properly configured, and you can do whatever you want in VR without taking off your headset.