Check DCS-updates without starting DCS?

Tom Kazansky

Is there a way to check updates without sarting DCS?

If I use DCS_updater.exe it allways starts DCS after checking. I sometimes just want to check if any updates are there.

e.g. yesterday there was an update announced (DCS 2.5.3.24984) but it still isn't there (That is not the problem ;)). I just want to check from time to time without starting DCS.

Is there a way to do this?

Or could some developer add a "cancel DCS"-button to the first DCS login window? Would do the job verry well.

edit: the update is there now (which was not the problem)

Edited by Tom Kazansky

I think you may be looking for the update to the Beta version? You won't find it because it applies only to the Release version this week.

Another useful way of checking for updates is to use the DCS Updater GUI Utility. It saves having to have any knowledge of command line stuff.

Here is a link to find it: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

thank you both

that's what I was looking for. :thumbup:

If you did choose to create start menu entries during the installation of DCS, you can now just open the Windows start menu and search for "DCS" and it should show you the option "Update DCS" which does exactly that without starting DCS itself.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

If you did choose to create start menu entries during the installation of DCS, you can now just open the Windows start menu and search for "DCS" and it should show you the option "Update DCS" which does exactly that without starting DCS itself.

Yeah, what QuiGon said. No need for command line kungfu or additional tools if you just want to update/check for update.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Strange thing I don't have start menu entries. I used to create 'em for every app.

oops, found a solution from Kuky (2012 read only thread):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=99449

Target for DCS World Multiplayer shortcut:

"C:\DCS World\bin\DCS.exe" --net-mode gui

Target for DCS World shortcut:

"C:\DCS World\bin\DCS_updater.exe"

Target for Repair DCS World shortcut:

"C:\DCS World\bin\DCS_updater.exe" repair

Target for Update DCS World shortcut:

"C:\DCS World\bin\DCS_updater.exe" update

thank you all!

Edited by Tom Kazansky

Created a .bat file with this single line :

start e:"Eagle Dynamics""DCS World Openbeta"\bin\dcs_updater.exe update @openbeta

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

Strange thing I don't have start menu entries. I used to create 'em for every app.

oops, found a solution from Kuky (2012 read only thread): ...

thank you all!

Thanks for sharing .. I'd like also to contribute this one:

Target for DCS World disabling VR:

"C:\DCS World\bin\DCS.exe" --force_disable_VR

it's useful for when you do use VR most of the time, but still want to use normal mode when editing missions.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB