Identifying an A-10C from the outside

Vampyr

Anyone have a list of externally visible features that set the A-10C apart from the earlier variants?

I always thought that the arrow shaped AN/ARC-210 BLOS antenna behind the cockpit was only present on the A-10C, but apparently this is not the case and I can't use that as a visual indicator.

I then started looking at the loadout thinking that if the aircraft is carrying a Sniper XR, it's an A-10C because earlier variants (including the A-10+) were not compatible with Sniper, but once again I can't find any sources that confirm this. Some of you may have seen my other thread on Sniper compatibility.

Thoughts?

When the 163rd started receiving jets back from Hill AFB after conversion to C models in 2011, all the jets lacked the Pave Penny. I think a handful of PE program A-10s may have initially kept the Pave Penny for some time, but to my understanding they have all been removed as of now.

5535450159_86c23f01aa_o.jpg

80-0230 on final. March of '11.

The A-10C model also received the 1760 data bus that allowed the A-10C to employ JDAMs and WCMDs; A-10A did not have this. Sniper XR capability was also added as a result of the PE program; could not be carried by the A-10A+, unlike the LITENING.

Well, in-game, the pave-penny is still there.

In-game as well, the A-10A can carry those big 38 rocket pods and these old, painted in white cluster monition, the MK20 ?

The C can't

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I read that before creating this thread.

The thread you linked doesn't mention anything about Sniper compatibility.

With the thread title I was addressing the original question. If you would have list that you had read the posted thread it would have been helpful.

To answer your question on the sniper pod the only reference i can find is out of Jake Melampy's Modern Hog Guide . First Paragraph page 15 paraphrased Lists A-10A+ 80-0232 as being modified by ANG/AFRC test center to test the Sniper pod Ordinarily the A-10C is the only variant to employ the pod.

Edited by Deadman
spelling

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

IMHO this is the best way to identify an A-10. Whether it's a Charlie model or an Alpha.

The easiest and really only "true" way to tell the difference between an A-10A and A-10C is on the nose of the aircraft C models had all the "scoops" removed so you can see the vents.

Slide1_zpskycc37fq.jpg~original

You could say the Missile Warning System (MWS) on the wingtip and tail, but there were A-10Cs without them too. But in case you see them, that's an A-10C for sure.

An A-10 carrying a TGP doesn't mean it's a Charlie model either, there were A-10As+ carrying the LITENING Pod on the Station 3 and 9.

The Pave Penny was removed around the time when they were introducing the Suite 7.

The Pave Penny was removed around the time when they were introducing the Suite 7.

According to Snoopy back in this post, Suite 7s were deployed ≈2012. When the 163rd received jets from conversion in early 2011, they lacked PPs and were not Suite 7 jets.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2370367&postcount=19

According to Snoopy back in this post, Suite 7s were deployed ≈2012. When the 163rd received jets from conversion in early 2011, they lacked PPs and were not Suite 7 jets.

Not necessarily, exactly, when they were being deployed. But introduced into the A-10C.

When the 163rd received jets from conversion in early 2011, they lacked PPs and were not Suite 7 jets.

You may want to check your facts, I know a couple crew chiefs in the 163d and I know for a fact at least some had the pave penny pylon on them still. The attached picture is from a friend when it arrived and he was assigned the DCC.

03DEA1D8-B7FB-4FB2-A4C3-E43CC4EED5AD.jpeg.47b430cd083eb5a0456bde2eec7d57c4.jpeg

Edited by Snoopy

Interesting threads, both. I gather from all the back and forth, there is no reliable way to tell them apart (both may have or not have scoops, or may or may not have T antennae, although it seems certain features are MORE common on one or the other, neither is guaranteed).

That said, it got me to comparing photos of the legacy Hornet vs Super Hornet, and obviously, very big differences, but also something suddenly struck me. A Super Hornet looks a lot like a slightly streamlined MiG-29 with more closely mounted engines, especially from the fore-above and rear-below angles.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

You may want to check your facts, I know a couple crew chiefs in the 163d and I know for a fact at least some had the pave penny pylon on them still. The attached picture is from a friend when it arrived and he was assigned the DCC.

The second post in this thread was from me, also picturing a 163rd A-10 in March of '11 with the Pave Penny pylon still attached.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3460879&postcount=2

There are many photos of A-10s, not just from the 163rd, with the missing sensor but carrying the pylon. I have never personally seen a 163 jet with the sensor on the pylon - but maybe I could be wrong. I do see the 163's jets often - not every day of the week though. If you've got an image, I'll be happy to admit I was wrong and that not every jet came back without the Pave Penny. Or perhaps seeing just the pylon doesn't mean that the Pave Penny is no longer on the jet? I'm just extrapolating here. You're obviously more knowledgeable on the topic than I am.

Edited by Kippy
As to not make a fool of myself