Track files and replay accuracy

How do replay missions work?

I managed to complete my first easy SP mission with a-10c, the one called "sitting ducks". At the end of the mission my score was 7/7 targets. So I saved the log to review later and possibly use to record a video file using windows game bar. Since I play in VR, i find easier to record while whatching my logs rather than live, so that I can change views (for example, using external ones). The problem is that when I reviewed my flight, after destroying the first group of targets the replay file showed me to shoot cannon in the sea and eventually splash in the water crashing, instead of showing what I really did, i.e. start shooting the second group of targets. It is not the first time that replay log files show something other than what really happened, so:

1) is there an alternative way to review your flights by changing the views?

2) is there a possibility that ED resolves the bug (if it is one)?

3) why the replay logs don't show exactly what you did? It seems like they try to "calculate" what you did during flight, and not simply show it. But if I record during flight, then I got a video file and I cannot change my views to see what happened from the outside perspective! Neither I can lock on with my targeting pod using external view while I fly. And so, how can I do?

Edited by nessuno0505

If you only need to review the flight/fight as it happened, I think free version is enough for that. You install it and it starts recording your flights in DCS as far as I remember, been a while since I've used it.

However, if you want the replay functionality for good looking video recording capabilities, this isn't for you, TacView is more like an ACMI tool.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

This video shows what Tacview 'recordings' look like.

The answer to your 3rd question is that DCS does not record a replay. What it does is record control inputs. The problem is that if any error is introduced into that recording then it can cause the replay to deviate from what originally occurred. Frequently, errors appear to compound causing the replay to be vastly different.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

About the question no.3, replay system in DCS works the same way as in old Il-2 series of sims - the game does not record the actual flight per se, but only records all your and AI units' control inputs. Then it loads the mission and runs the whole simulation again, overlaying the saved controls. In utopian theory this method should result in "replay" track running exactly as the mission did when you flew it, but in reality if only there are some bits and bytes missing from controls recording, the whole thing obviously becomes corrupted, as the planes will not be able to repeat maneuvers correctly.

Aaaaaand usually they don't. It's been a problem of this sim since forever, some planes and missions are more affected, some are less. Developers are aware, but they struggle with finding the solution.

A rule of thumb - the best way of using replays in DCS is not to use them at all :D (or use TacView if the mission evaluation is the only purpose).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

ive got a bit addicted to the tracks in VR.

they are like free VR rollercoasters.

and the random ending adds variety and kick :)

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

and the random ending adds variety and kick :)

:) Assuming you get that far. One issue with tracks not mentioned so far is that a track recorded with one version of the sim may not play back correctly with a subsequent version depending on what has changed.

Case in point. When differential steering was added to the Su-27 several updates ago, any tracks starting from the ramp were automatically ruined as soon as you tried to make your first turn.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I do not have old il-2 Sims and i don't know how It works in il-2 sturmovik bos (that I have), but in bos replay works and I can change views. My purpose is not a tactical review of the mission (very useful tool but not what I Need), I Just want to record a track and then review It changing cameras. Since on YouTube there are a lot of videos - in VR too - with external views and camera changes, some sort of software must esist. Can someone tell me a name?

Edited by nessuno0505