SR71 Blackbird Project

Hi folks,

I have mentioned it allready in my A-10 Fueltank threat.

Now, after I have fixed in the last few days alot of problems on the so far built model, I want to show you some of my official projectpics.

I have decided, that it might be lovely to have such a bird as flyable plane, that has its own 3D cockpit.

As far the arguments for the cockpit are read out and luckily the SR71 Blackbird has an analog cockpit, so it should be possible to built a nice and smoth one.

I hope you like it so far and when somebody has any suggestions, please feel free to comment.

:-)

http://www.spongedpics.com/upload/WB1186883406W46be674ece60c-SR7110.jpg

http://www.spongedpics.com/upload/WV1186884074W46be69ea0d6cf-SR719.jpg

• Like 1

Considering this thread was posted yesterday, those screens he posted is the current state. Nice work borchi

WOOPS didn't see that.:smilewink:

Well keep up the good work than!!

Still intrested i will keep posted

PEACE Dr.T

Asking for a release date this early on in the project is probably not wise. It puts more pressure on borchi and you will get the same answer "when its done." There are many 3d models out there that takes years to finish. For example, take strike's Su-27 model, i think that has been going on for 3-4 years now? So yea, the best thing we can do right now is be patient and admire any progress the author has and will make.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hi guys,

well i don´t know if it will take 3-4 years i hope not, or let us say it that way, it will defenetly not take that long, because i would like to finish the work at some point of time.

this is what i have done today, and it did not take long though.

interesting will be the cockpit, but i have nice and good help with that thanks to tomcatz experiments.

here the screenshots:

http://www.spongedpics.com/upload/WP1187027920W46c09bd007d12-SR7111.jpg

http://www.spongedpics.com/upload/WE1187027967W46c09bff75c63-Unbenannt13.jpg

• Like 1

i am not sure yet,

i have to talk with tomcatz about the replacement but unfortunatly he is apsent the next 2 month.

little update, i have built the basic model of the outerwings yesterday.

now i need to do detailwork on them, might only take a day.

i get sed to the prog ,more and more, and so the time to create the blackbird will shrink.

i have one problem though. i promised a new fueltank for the a-10.

i keep promises!!! :-)

but now i want to replace a tank model and try to put a lom file into the folder shapes.

my 3dmax tells me allways the same failure.

since the last save, there has been no scene settings.

what does that mean for the tank, or even for lockon, what do i have to do in 3dmax, to be able to replace?

by the way, the tank is sort of an experiment but a nice one because it will work i garantie it, because i have tested the possibility of adding a functional fueltank to the a-10

hi folks,

a little update for all the people who support this project :-)

here are the newest pics,

how a good spectator can see, there are little but nice and vital changes done.

the little outerwings are fitted and connected with the turbinebuddy.

the turbinebuddies are improved because i have found a mistake there.

here the screnes :

http://www.spongedpics.com/upload/WJ1187140446W46c2535e1828c-SR7115.jpg

http://www.spongedpics.com/upload/WV1187140531W46c253b3e4568-SR7118.jpg

well i keep you guys updated

greetings

borchi (boom boom)

What was the SR-71's competitor?

The competitor to the Blackbird was the Convair “Kingfish”. It used a lot of technology from the B-58 hustler. Both the Kingfish and the A-12 (which was the precursor to the blackbird at the time) used the same J-58 engine. Actually the CIA supported the Kingfish rather than the blackbird because it had the engines mounted on the inside of the aircraft and it was smaller, therefore it had a smaller radar cross section. They believed the kingfish was the superior aircraft, but in the end, they were afraid that Convair would repeat their mistakes in the B-58, which was delays and cost overruns, so they went with Lockheed's propsal who have proved in the past with the U-2, that they can produced their aircraft on-time and under budget.

Here's some pic of the kingfish though

kingfish2.jpg

kingfish1.jpg

kingfish6.jpg

Could you imagine if they chose the Kingfish instead of the blackbird? If that had happened, the bottom picture, would be replaced by the 2nd picture lol

EC95-43075-4.jpg

kingfish9.jpg

P.S. Sorry for derailing the thread like this, this was a rare aircraft/concept that i thought people want to know about- especially since its related to the Blackbird's history.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well,

the basic is allmost done thta is true, but don´t forget the fact that there has to be done some detail work on the body.

next step for now will be the exhausts and the tails.

after that i am going to work on the glas of the cockpit, but i have to do some fixing at the outer shape of the cockpit, found a couple of nice reference pix which will help alot.

and then all together it will proceed step by step.

maybe when the model is done nice with all the arguments done right and the 3dcockpit and so on and so on, i can confince the eagle team to put the blackbird officialy into the game, i will at least write them a massage, but i reather believe that this will not happen, although the blackbird flew till 1999, because it was reactived in the 90´s to serve over serbia.

look up the data on the english wikipedia, it allmost all right what is written there.

I agree that it is defenetly one of the sexiest planes ever.

by the way, i will model some more model, and maybe also a B-2, but here a question to the community, what models do you you realy want to have?

i also thought of remodeling the f.15, walmies model is very nice, but does not fit totally to the original one, i have to know, because my cousin flew that plane with the 493rd fightersquadron stationed in lakenheath.

his tailnumber was one of the migkillers, the af 86-0159.

so greetings, and lets here what you would like to have

borchi

by the way, i will model some more model, and maybe also a B-2, but here a question to the community, what models do you you realy want to have?

I really want to see a F-104 and a MiG-21 in LOMAC. But B-2 sounds cool to, so you should start on a B-2 model after finishing the Blackbird

I don't swear, I don't smoke and I don't drink. Oh f**k I forgot my cigar at the pub...

Personally, i say model the aircraft that is already in lock on. Because if you create these new aircraft, like the Sr-71, or B-2 (I'm not saying its bad or anything) but we would have to replace a current model in Lock On. It will not have the same flight charateristics or anything. Building an improved model would have a significant impact and a lot more people would download it. For example, the main flyable aircrafts needs to be reworked. Take a look at walmis F-15, a lot more people downloaded that one as opposed to a model that doesn't exist in Lock On. Rebuilding a new F-15 would be great and any other western aircraft or the Su-33 since rarely anyone is working on those. For AI aircraft, try to model something we see frequently like our tankers, or AWACS...etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hi folks,

well it is intersting that you guys talk about the planes we see more frequently.

in bearly see a refueler or such big birds but that is propably that problem of our squadmission. nevertheless, i don´t know if it is possible to change the files of thev big birds, as far i know there has to be a lom filethat can be replaced with a new one.

i make you guys an offer,

i can model you , with enough time pretty much all the planes you want, i would perfer the f-15 as next project, but i hav no clou about all the files that can be replaced or not :pilotfly::joystick::pilotfly:, maybe somebody can talk to the guys of the ed team if it will be possible to put a lom file into the shapes folder, even if there is only a cmd file existing.

my mature problem is still the that i cannot replace a model although i have installed the plugins

neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddd help there,

don´t forget, i am not just doing that for me, it is for all of the community

lol good, sorry i mentioned in the past 3-4 years. But hey, look at the bright side, i bought you a whole mess of time haha. So no rush. And very nice update btw, looks very sleek.

Oh and to answer your previous question about a possible future F-15 model, if you want to know which file to replace, you can always look at walmis's F-15 file and see which ones he replaced. Then you can use that theory as a backbone to your project. It appears he only replaced the f-15.LOM. Either way, you could back up your the files you are going to replace in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\Bazar\World\Shapes and if it doesn't turn out the way you wanted to, you can always revert back to the stock files.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hi folks,

i working very hard on the blackbird, but the progress it not a big fisual effect, cause i am working on details of the body right now and make progress with the cockpit of the ormal model.

when i will start with the 3d cockpit is depending on tomcatz who is well known by this community, because of his hangar mod and his eurofighter, and the time he will be back, which will be in the next few weeks.

the next pics are coming when i have some more done and more details will sum p to a better fisual effect.

my the way i thught of mdeling a new pilot for the blackbird, one that comes close to the real ones, at least the uniform and helmet, because i thik the ormal us pilot of lockon would not be a nice one and unrealistic for a blackbird.

my ideas of all the animations:

instead of the landing/takeoff flaps, which the original blackbird does not have, i thought of giving the bird a landingshoot, that would be aktivated with the F key.

also, when the canopy is open, the black visor of the pilots would go up and you could see there faces, that are some little ideas i have, but i have to talk to tomcatz about it, because i not to familiar with animatig at this int of time.

but well if it is that easy like the modelling then it will not take lomg to understand it , :-) lol

here a little update of some detail work that was done yesterday and today :-)

WZ1187357410W46c5a2e2b1c38-SR7129.jpg

i hope you like it.

next steps will be the backside, the swanfathers(exhausts blades) and the rudders.

when that is done i will get back to the cockpit.

the worst is the last, the gears and all the hydraulic wires.

greetings borchi