Tailwheel lock broken 2.5.2 OB

muehlema

Hi

Looks like the tailwheel lock is broken since the latest beta. At least the behavior of the plane on ground is identical if locked or not.

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Hello,

I saw your post and took the 109 for a spin. something does feel a little bit different at taxi speed, but it definitly works at hi speed, (in my opinion)

Here is the track, it has a funny ending... when I saw the wind sock and jeep flash by, I thought oh no, then got vertigo and cringed and slammed on the left brake.... :shocking:

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello,

I saw your post and took the 109 for a spin. something does feel a little bit different at taxi speed, but it definitly works at hi speed, (in my opinion)

Here is the track, it has a funny ending... when I saw the wind sock and jeep flash by, I thought oh no, then got vertigo and cringed and slammed on the left brake.... :shocking:

Well, I am talking about taxiing. Something has changed. It appears to be known for the Spitfire

Spitfire tail wheel contact model with ground is broken.

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Reason to this behaviour is this:

FMOptions.lua

tailWheelStaticFricK = 0.6

tailWheelSideFricK = 0.2 (WAS 0.5, main wheel has now 0.55)

tailWheelRollFricK = 0.025

tailWheelGlideFricK = 0.54

tailWheelMOI = 0.5

I wonder why somebody changed good value into terrible!?

Edited: I did changed values of tail back to 0.5 and main G to 0.65 - Works like a charm!!

TRY IT!

Edited by GumidekCZ

Reason to this behaviour is this:

FMOptions.lua

tailWheelStaticFricK = 0.6

tailWheelSideFricK = 0.2 (WAS 0.5, main wheel has now 0.55)

tailWheelRollFricK = 0.025

tailWheelGlideFricK = 0.54

tailWheelMOI = 0.5

I wonder why somebody changed good value into terrible!?

Edited: I did changed values of tail back to 0.5 and main G to 0.65 - Works like a charm!!

TRY IT!

nice find :)

5 values have changed from what they were in 1.5:

tailWheelSideFricK = 0.2 was 0.5

mainWheelSideFricK = 0.55 was 0.73

tailGearAxleFricM0f = 1.0 was 16.0

tailGearAxleFricVs = 0.1 was 0.2

tailGearAxleFricVf = 1.8 was 3.0

I was happy with the way it was in 1.5 and I continue to use these values.

I wish ED would fix what's broken, and not what's working.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Someone probably saw my obscure reference to the broken tail wheel in an add on Spitfire to MS CFS3 years ago, where I cut my teeth on aircraft contact point and damage model editing. I started the hobby as a painter and gradually learned more of the flight model and damage model side of that engine. The XML code was easy and some of the other editors were freeware or Silverlight. Anyhow, that was supposed to be an example of how crappy FM kills immersion in a sim, especially before or after a furball of a dogfight, NOT a request to break another FM in a wonderful second or third generation sim since then! Just kidding ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

Just installed the latest OB, from yesterday ( 20181019 ) which should be the same of 2.5 stable, and picked the 109 k-4 for a ride.

Looks OK to me!

As usual it is the only 109 I can taxi and takeoff with using proper RW techniques, so, it's just fine for me :-)

Is it absolutely Perfect ? probably not, but heck, it's a 40 buck add-on for a desktop flight simulator...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Just installed the latest OB, from yesterday ( 20181019 ) which should be the same of 2.5 stable, and picked the 109 k-4 for a ride.

Looks OK to me!

As usual it is the only 109 I can taxi and takeoff with using proper RW techniques, so, it's just fine for me :-)

Is it absolutely Perfect ? probably not, but heck, it's a 40 buck add-on for a desktop flight simulator...

The 40 Bucks was fine before the new Ground Physics Patch, what means fine? There is simple no difference when you slip over the Ground with locked tail wheel or not? this was fine Before and notice able difference...

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

The 40 Bucks was fine before the new Ground Physics Patch, what means fine? There is simple no difference when you slip over the Ground with locked tail wheel or not? this was fine Before and notice able difference...

Will test again MAD-MM, because it appeared to me that problem was gone when I tested it yesterday.

I did it from the default Caucasus takeoff Quick Mission. Didn't try at non-paved airfields in Normandy.

• 5 weeks later...
Will test again MAD-MM, because it appeared to me that problem was gone when I tested it yesterday.

I did it from the default Caucasus takeoff Quick Mission. Didn't try at non-paved airfields in Normandy.

first....its an easy test...just come in in a complete slipped attitude, and keep it during the touch down and even roll out....no problem now with magical physics.

second....there is and never was a difference between the concrete runways in caucasus and or normandy and the dirt fields in normandy. its the same ground with the same friction just with a different texture.

first....its an easy test...just come in in a complete slipped attitude, and keep it during the touch down and even roll out....no problem now with magical physics.

second....there is and never was a difference between the concrete runways in caucasus and or normandy and the dirt fields in normandy. its the same ground with the same friction just with a different texture.

Oh well :-(

back to my new love then ….

• 3 weeks later...
If I have just enough throttle to get moving and stay in motion, with the tail wheel locked, should I be able to turn by applying slight brake pressure to one side?

I suppose so, although it'll tend to slip a bit... Best it to unlock when you need to turn, and then use toe brakes.

In DCS the K-4 feels too lose. Even at full weight thrust is very effective and it accelerates wildly, so the use of sudden bursts of thrust to "make the rudder alive" like IRL can't really be applied easily and with the same effect they would have.