I tested DCS on a 50" TV

TZeer

Upgraded our aging 50" plasma in our livingroom to newer and bigger tv (LCD).

At the time I was curious about using the old plasma as a screen for DCS, but hold of due to remembering someone saying tv's in general was not very good for gaming.

But after thinking about for a while: DCS is not a fast paced 1st person shooter, I don`t need 1ms response etc.

So I hooked it up....

It is an old plasma, but the feeling of 50" right in the face coupled with Track ir and HOTAS setup was sweeeeet!

Of course the image is not as sharp and crisp as the monitor I have. But from thinking of upgrading to a 21:9 setup, I'm seriously thinking about how a newer 4K LCD tv would look like for DCS.

50-55" LCD 4K resolution, coupled with a 1080ti or one of the RTX cards would make a really nice immersive setup.

Anyone running something like that?

Problem with VR as far as I have read and understood is the pure power that is needed from both the CPU and GPU.

As it is right now it seems to be problems getting good enough frames. Adding an even higher resolution VR wont help in that department.

talk to me about VR when it allows me to see my hands and keyboard, MFD's, etc.

OP, I'm playing DCS on a 46" 4K TV that sits about 3-4 feet away from me in a home cockpit and it is amazing.

Win 10 64bit; 32 GB DDR4 3200 Ram; ASUS MoBo; 1TB SSD;Intel i7 8700K; GTX 1080ti 11GB; Thrustmaster Warthog;Odyssey + VR

Problem with VR as far as I have read and understood is the pure power that is needed from both the CPU and GPU.

As it is right now it seems to be problems getting good enough frames. Adding an even higher resolution VR wont help in that department.

It's true that you need a high end system for VR, but you seem to be going for that anyway. Coming from a 40 inch 4k screen, the Rift still makes for a better experience, despite the comparatively low resolution.

DCS is completely enjoyable with current generation headsets.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Have they solved to HUD?

Remember a while back there was discussion about the readability of the HUD when in VR.

Doesn't matter how awesome it feels, if the HUD is hard to read. And if the solution is a higher res VR display, then it's back to mediocre performance at best.

I'm hoping I'm wrong about this, or it is old issues.

Hey OP, I was using an old Westinghouse 720p 27” for awhile as a PC monitor, then bought an awesome (I thought) no-name 39” 720p off Newegg for $89 after rebate. Thought it would do the trick for DCS...way too pixelated for my setup so I went ahead and swapped in my 40” Sony 1080p for PC monitor duty and am loving it. I put the cheapo LCD in the living room and because of the farther viewing distance there, it’s practically just as good as the Sony was. AND TrackIR makes it even better.

I really think I’m going to put off the 4K situation as long as possible...since it would require a lot more power in the GPU department. Definitely more interested in trying out the Rift rather than worrying about a huge screen...

Changed from a monitor to a 55” plasma about 7 years ago. Recently switched to a Samsung 65” 4K. I switch to VR for indscribable immersion but back to the big screen often because I love the eye candy. FPS 95-125+ depending on area. 1080TI drives it just fine with all settings maxed. I sit about 4 feet out. Its pretty amazing.

Could never go back to one of those little PC monitors. Thats history for me. In fact, I don’t own a PC monitor anymore. It went to the dump!

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

To sum up. To drive 4K, you need beefy hardware anyway. VR is about immersion, 4K is about wonderful pictures.

Reading the HUD isn't a big deal anymore, you just have to lean in or zoom in. But 4K brings up challenges identifying things because labels, targets show up small. Different challenges, but similar problems.

FYI, I have Acer 34" Predator monitor, but only use DCS when I want to setup the controls. Otherwise, it's in VR only. I too used 50" monitor in the past, and I still prefer VR.

For now it's a personal choice as to which you'll like more. In the next two years, it'll be all VR. No one will ever use a monitor again for flight sim'ing. It would be like comparing horse drawn buggies to cars. Not now, but in the next two years. I guarantee it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

4K TVs are getting so cheap these days there will be no reason to use a monitor anymore.

Plus the picture quality on a TV vastly exceeds what’s available on most monitors. Especially considering HDR which is slow to come to PC gaming but already common with consoles.

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

A really big screen, allows you to back out the FoV and not have everything be really tiny. Makes for a great experience =) HMD VR tech isn't there yet, and probably won't be for another gen or three.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

does 4k vr tv require at least a 1070? also, currently i'm on a 1080p smart tv (2 years ago ones) and there is a slight stutter (gtx 1060) when playing dcs, will it still be there on 4k tv (assuming that my graphics card can make it)?

thanks!

I am not so sure if a 1070 will be enough for 4k...if you want at least medium settings. You dont go 4k to fly on LOW

My 1080ti struggles with 2560x1440 and ALL-IN settings, in order to stay above 60fps I turned shadows to medium/flat, SSAA 1.5x

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

It's true that you need a high end system for VR, but you seem to be going for that anyway. Coming from a 40 inch 4k screen, the Rift still makes for a better experience, despite the comparatively low resolution.

DCS is completely enjoyable with current generation headsets.

This is an opinion statement. It makes it a better experience for you. For me it does not. But I’ve invested in a custom built simpit that rarely requires me to grab a mouse.

• 1 year later...
I wouldnt invest too much in displays anymore. borrowed a rift from a friend and was amazed even with the low resolution and fov. pimax 8K and 5K plus are coming shortly - i bet there gonna be awesome for dcs :)

VR ignores the sense of touch.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

My current monitor is a TCL 49-inch 5-series 4K@60Hz/HDR. I got it for about $300. It is the best monitor I have had to date. I would have gone for the 65-inch for about $600, but the 49-inch is much lighter and easier to move around.

I also have Oculus Rift, and Oculus Rift S.

What really draws me to VR is the 1:1 head tracking with a much wider vertical field of view. For me, that is what provides the immersion more so than the stereoscopic 3d effect. But after flying VR for awhile and struggling to get a steady 40 fps with decent quality settings, the 4K display is absolutely beautiful at a steady 60 fps. I can use maxed out settings with 4K other than MSAA at x2.

Before the Rift S came out, I was flying VR about 50 percent of the time. With the improved visuals of the S, I now fly VR about 80 percent of the time. But I still love to enjoy a 49-inch 4K display. I see no reason to limit myself to playing only one way or the other. So I don't buy into this constant arguing that everyone should stop buying monitors and convert to VR or that VR isn't good enough yet.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was going to buy a ultra wide screen monitor three years ago.

but I bought a cv 1 instead.

not flown in 2d since.

I do enjoy lying on my couch and watching 4k youtube video of DCS though.

i call it training :)

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.