The Rookie Thread

Thanks Snacko I'm sure I'll find it helpful. I'd also like to get onto teamspeak at some stage with other Black Shark pilots :).

Just PM me. I am available to get online with you in a mission in the morning. I am in Cincinnati, so I am EDT time. :thumbup: I'll show you what I know, and maybe you'll show me something as well?

PS: I have an X45 in the closet and use an X52 now. So, I can also answer questions on your joystick if you like.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Shkval help.

Im so new to all this, but its fun learning. Im understanding all the systems by all means do not have it down pat, but all makes scense to me and can find help by reading stuff on here, but some reason the targeting system and using Shkval does not make sence to me. Is there something Here on this forum that might help put it in real basic terms I can take it from there.

I tried producers notes video and I just cant get it, and I read the manual as well.

Anyone else find Shkval to be the most difficult thing to learn?

Just feeling stupid of maybe fustrated that I unsterstand most everything but this.

Nice name...:)

No, I don't but it is an unusual bit of kit if you haven't had experience before.

You have:

Laser range finder - important to find range of targets to determine whether they are in effective range.

Zoom: 7X or 23X. 2 options - I supposed Carl Zeiss don't do electro optical sights...

Target tracking; ground moving, air to air or air to air head on (air burst prox. fuse).

Turn to target: must have auto pilot heading hold switched on. Does it automagically.

And finally, target lock: when you have the target window on a chosen enemy, press this to get a lock.

These things all have a baring on how targets are acquired using Shkval.

The key thing to using Shkval, is to have a steady hover. Master that, and you'll be well on your way. :)

Stick with it, mate.

Rectum non bustus

I am still trying to hone my targeting skills, and found this tutorial very helpful.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2626185/STICKY_Tutorial_How_to_take_of.html#Post2626185

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

how to map collective to joystick throttle axis

Hi all,

just got black shark and it looks good. Just run some of the tutorials. When I take control I do not have any control over the collective with my joystick throttle axis. However, when I enter instant action, the throttle does control the collective (I can even see the level moving in the 3d cockpit). I appears that the instant action uses the easy avionics. Could this be my problem? In the options I have selected easy avionics but real flight model.

Looking at the control options in the list I select collective up or down and there is only an option to map joystick buttons, not axes? Can anyone give me a clue to what I am doing wrong and how I map the throttle axis to the collective?

Thanks

Mark

I think that is your problem. The game has two sets of control assignments. You probably don't have the the throttle assigned to the collective in the 'Real' assignments. I am not sure how you select a mission to use one or the other, or if you have to go into the game options and change it every time. I personally have found that confusing. But just select Real in the Control Assignments and assign your throttle to the Collective and it should work in both then. (Don't assign the Throttle command to your throttle, as that is the engine throttle, not your collective. It only has 3-4 speed settings I think, and you can use your Page Up/Dn to mange it by default.)

Snack

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

Shkval visual

In game mode. I can move red aiming reticule around, line up to shoot, lock on, Shkval display moves as I move reticule around, thats all good, but can not see my locked target on disply. I can see explosion but never the actual target. Im not flying at night, weather not bad, at target distance of 2.5 on shkval example that is and nothing. Seems in vids and training targets further then that are showing up on the display.

Still feel foolish for being in game mode, not why I got this to blow stuff up, just learning my own way I guess...had to say that;).

Also, When up close to target like 0.5 I can see the locked target very well on display.

Edited by astroknight

I don't know Game mode very well, so not sure about this. But do you have your chopper pointing toward the target so it is in front of you? and your altitude is high enough so the shkval can see over trees and stuff? Maybe a screenshot would help?

Hey Snacko, thanks for trying to help.

Yes, made sure no trees or anything in the way.

Maybe this discription is more detailed. just hovering at a airport, locked on to a grounded plane, clear view. Looked at Shkval. On that display dead on at 0.2 distance is when it happens. 0.2 and I slowly, very slowly fly to it and the target fades into view large and clear, pull away at 0.2 and target fades out, and yet I can see faintly my weapon of choice firing and the explosion, but no target. Works great under distance 0.2. Does this on enemy, freindly, buildings, trees, different missions, ect....

It has to be me, game mode is for wimps, guess that me for now, but that can not be the issue because that mode seems to allow everything to work just not as detailed.

I really tried all I can on my own.

Maybe someone can lower them self to my learning level and play the game mode and see if this is a common issue.

I cant wait when someone says to me...." you just do this....and it will work", and it will all seem so basic even a 2yr old can do it...LOL.

Edited by astroknight

LoL! No 2yr old can fly this sim! The box clearly states the ' ESRB Teen Mild Violence'. That is 13 years or older because of the 'mild' violence of you beating your head on your desk? LoL

I remember in Lockon, and also in BS I believe there is a draw distance of objects. I wonder if you have your graphics set so low that it won't draw something very far away? So, as you approach it appears?

PS: I did just try and use Game/Arcade mode in the game, but have no idea what I am doing. None of the controls work to move or lock the Shkval. I don't use it and don't have time to set it all up for a test.

I will be happy to go online with you anytime and show you how to fly sim mode. I did not go though the tutorials myself. I had a friend show me how to do the basics. I can show you how to setup your joystick. Do the easy engine start. Fly waypoints. Use your weapons. Turn your lights on. Use the Helmet sight, ect.. And also crash. PM me if you are interested...

Edited by Snacko

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New here also. I picked up the sim about three days ago and every question i've had so far i've found the answer to on this forum.

Thanks.

Oh. I do have one question. How or were do i upload a track to to share? I flew the ship landing mission that someone linked to earlier and had a great flight. I'd like to post it.

• Like 1

Sean

My other hobby

Helmet camera video of my races and other stuff

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh. I do have one question. How or were do i upload a track to to share? I flew the ship landing mission that someone linked to earlier and had a great flight. I'd like to post it.

Upload to a File-Sharing Site, eg:

http://www.megaupload.com/

http://www.mediafire.com/

http://www.2shared.com/

After Track is Uploaded, you'll be given a Download Link. Copy and Paste the Link into your Reply on the Forum and you're Good to Go.

Alternatively, use the 'Attachments' tab when posting a reply here on the Forum (Paperclip Icon).

Welcome :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Thanks Viper for the quick response. I haven't hooked up with a file sharing site yet so i clipped my .trk file to this reply.

Still getting the hang of this sim but i love it. It has become a huge time suck for me. The track i attached wasn't a planned recording. I had a little trouble getting my Flight stick trimmed at the start and some issues with ATC. But nice crab landing on the frigate ( I like to lean out the left or right window when i land) followed by a port side inspection. Then a trip to the carrier with a circle around the tower, landing then a rolling take off. Back to shore and joined formation with a ch53. He banked across my nose twice.... so i had to shoot him down. guns.. guns.. guns..

Forgot to raise the gear after the frigate, but other than that..I'm really digg'n the trim feature! I don't care what anyone else says.. It's awesome!

Feel free to offer pointers if you watch it

Thanks,

Sea Landings - StickyTeflon.trk

Edited by StickyTeflon

Sean

My other hobby

Helmet camera video of my races and other stuff

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest theack777

This is the hardest Sim ive ever flown!!!

WOW!!! I dont know what to say. I have been flying it for 2 hours and I still cant land without crashing...hovering is impossible so far. I cant even think about doing a mission yet. I miss having a serious helo sim...havent flown one since Janes Longbow 2. The developers obviously spent alot of time on it and they deserve to be payed for an awsome sim. Thanks guys.

Don't forget turning on 3 autopilot channels (without ALT HOLD).

You'll learn to land quite quickly. Try to keep hover 4 meters after take-off then land. Adjust only small cyclic/collective movements and slowly operate collective. Repeat it couple times. If you master this part try to learn the transition from hover to forward flight by lowering nose 10 degrees below the horizon and giving a little more power to maintain level flight (watch VSI). Accelerate to 160 kph. Then level out. Faster you fly, less power you need. To stop to hover rise the nose 10 degrees above the horizon (again: operate collective to maintain level flight by decreasing power a little in first part of this manoeuvre then after slowing down a bit you'll have to give a little more power). Again watch VSI and speed. When speed drops below 50 kph start to slowly level nose with horizon.

Hit the trim very often. Use rudder pedals.

Keyboead Layouts (print)

Hi guys

hope you can help ? how do i get a copy or printout of the keyboard commands, i have followed the notes in the manual but have no idea !!! what should happen or what i need to do next.

Cheers

jon

Hi guys

hope you can help ? how do i get a copy or printout of the keyboard commands, i have followed the notes in the manual but have no idea !!! what should happen or what i need to do next.

You're unable to print out the DCS-BS_Key_Commands_Ka-50_real_eng.PDF in the "\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\Doc"?

If you weren't aware of it - just look up the DOC folder in the Ka-50 install, print out the keyboard commands.

Hint; print 2-pages per side, portrait print and fit to paper, as well as duplex (both sides of the paper). Then you should get a nice 12 page booklet which you can staple & fold :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

as yet another new guy, i have a few questions of my own.

what is the key command for open/close door.

during startup, i cant uncage the backup artificial horizon.

is there an in cockpit switch to change the shkval from nav to attack mode?

thanks

as yet another new guy, i have a few questions of my own.

what is the key command for open/close door.

during startup, i cant uncage the backup artificial horizon.

is there an in cockpit switch to change the shkval from nav to attack mode?

thanks

RCTRL+C (keep a printout of the keychart nearby, it's quite useful) ;)

Uncaging the backup - not that you'll be using it that often, dont think I've used it once due to failure of the main.

Play around with the LMouse, RMouse and Wheel on the Knob - and you'll see you can uncage it, calibrate it etc.

Shkval - "attack mode" when you uncage it and tracks a a target, as well as you selecting a weapon.

BACKSPACE resets the whole "attack mode" into "nav mode" again.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning