Looking for my next war bird

I am flying the p51 right now and I love the aircraft. I have gotten pretty decent at flying it and I can somewhat regularly take out harder AI. The only thing the sucks with the p51 is the guns. They are pretty weak against AI. Most of the time I am sinking shots just to have the enemy keep flying. I am looking for what will be the next module I buy. I am not sure if I should go with the spitfire, 109, or 190. I like how refined the p51 module is. It feels very polished and complete. What module would you all recommend jumping to next?

I have all of these

Spitfire, Mustang, Bf 109 k4 and D9 Dora

I prefer, from all the of them Bf 109 k4

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

The planes eating tons of ammo is an old issue, especially with AI ones. Hopefully that's history soon with the damage model update.

You might also wait for the P-47 which is slated for an early access release this very month still. Though it has the same guns as the P-51, it's two more and a bigger variety in bombs and rockets combinations for A/G.

If you really want to pack some punch, probably the 190A-8 is something for you with 4x 20mm cannons and 2x 13mm MGs.

After all you should get the plane you really like, the one you want to fly.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

The 190s will be somewhat familiar to you from the P51, they are fast, not the greatest at turning (worse than the P51), prone to accelerated stalls, super roll rate, and a bit higher caliber guns. Great cockpits and very easy to fly.

Spitfire however is a beauty in the air, will turn on a dime, respectable roll rate (clipped wing is an amazing roll), nice guns although no gyro sight, and not the fastest.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Same question for me too. After the free trial I will purchase at least one war bird. I am trying to get better in flying war birds, as I think it will improve my jet skills a lot.

The question is , what is the best war bird for a medium skill level jet pilot like me. I feel the FW 190A is fast, has lots of power and turns okay. The P51 has less power but turns better. Both very easy to fly. The FW190 Dora seems to be much heavier and not that agile like the FW190 Anton. If I go for the FW190 I will prefer the Anton. The BF 109 seems ridiculusly overpowered but not very agile. The Spitfire might be very agile but hard to control. At least for me. And the I 16 is just wobbling around when I fly it. From what I have found in my time in the trial period, I think I will choose between FW190A and P51. What do you guys think?

Edited by darkman222

Same question for me too. After the free trial I will purchase at least one war bird. I am trying to get better in flying war birds, as I think it will improve my jet skills a lot.

The question is , what is the best war bird for a medium skill level jet pilot like me. I feel the FW 190A is fast, has lots of power and turns okay. The P51 has less power but turns better. Both very easy to fly. The FW190 Dora seems to be much heavier and not that agile like the FW190 Anton. If I go for the FW190 I will prefer the Anton. The BF 109 seems ridiculusly overpowered but not very agile. The Spitfire might be very agile but hard to control. At least for me. And the I 16 is just wobbling around when I fly it. From what I have found in my time in the trial period, I think I will choose between FW190A and P51. What do you guys think?

The FW190A8 is slow and does not fair well in dog fights againts the P51D and Spitfire 9.

The FW190D9 is faster but seems to have engine cooling problems and does not turn very well. It's not much of a dog fighter atm.

The 109K4 is the best WW2 fighter in DCS at the moment. It's very fast, has the fastest climb rate and can turn very well.

The Spitfire 9 is the best in a dogfight. When flown well the Germans are forced to run from it. But it's slow so it can't disengage very easily.

The P51D is not great at turning but is very fast. With reduced fuel(68% is to much) and flying to its strengths it's an excellent fighter. It struggles vs the 109.

The 109 is the perfect fighter, you feel like a hunter in it. You observe your prey from high above and wait for your moment, then you dive into the low 6 and obliterate it with the 30 mm cannon, then use its amazing power to weight ratio to climb up again.

With this tactic nobody will be able to reach you.

Having said this, all warbirds in DCS and I mean ALL OF THEM are very beautifully modelled from the flight model to the sound. I have all of them and I encourage people to check them out.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

The 109 is the perfect fighter, you feel like a hunter in it. You observe your prey from high above and wait for your moment, then you dive into the low 6 and obliterate it with the 30 mm cannon, then use its amazing power to weight ratio to climb up again.

With this tactic nobody will be able to reach you.

Having said this, all warbirds in DCS and I mean ALL OF THEM are very beautifully modelled from the flight model to the sound. I have all of them and I encourage people to check them out.

Unless some in P-51 is waiting up high and is diving on you at mach 0.8 :P

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Unless some in P-51 is waiting up high and is diving on you at mach 0.8 :P

That's true! Although it is possible to run from them even in that escenario as you turn better than them, of course if you spot them. I have been learning the P-51 lately and I might take it for a spin online soon.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

Thats some very controversal opinions here. I guess I have to overcome my first feeling to stick to the easy to fly Anton and P51. And now have a closer look on the BF109 and Spitfire, as long trial period is running.

I feel that the fight, climb, fight and climb again scenario in the 109 is realistic for sure, but might be not that much fun on a just dogfight server in the long run.

The Spitfire seems to turn well, but if someone in a 109 uses this tactic against you, might become frustrating soon on the other hand.

Edited by darkman222

Thats some very controversal opinions here. I guess I have to overcome my first feeling to stick to the easy to fly Anton and P51.

That's because Anton is anything but easy to fly in combat. Not counting I-16, it's the slowest warbird along with Spitfire and it looses energy in sustained turns dramatically. Thus, it's actually the worst plane for close dogfights down low with everything else being either faster or more maneuverable. With right tactics one can use its good dive speed, good instantaneous turn rate and excellent roll rate effectively, but that requires LOTS of skill and experience.

Mustang is not great in sustained maneuver either, but at least it's fast (although in practical terms not faster than Dora or Kurfurst), so it does require good tactics and experience as well.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

That's because Anton is anything but easy to fly in combat. Not counting I-16, it's the slowest warbird along with Spitfire and it looses energy in sustained turns dramatically. Thus, it's actually the worst plane for close dogfights down low with everything else being either faster or more maneuverable. With right tactics one can use its good dive speed, good instantaneous turn rate and excellent roll rate effectively, but that requires LOTS of skill and experience.

Mustang is not great in sustained maneuver either, but at least it's fast (although in practical terms not faster than Dora or Kurfurst), so it does require good tactics and experience as well.

This is exactly why i like flying the Anton, because its hard. At the start i died ( a lot) online and after a couple of sorties would jump back in the dora. but now im starting to learn what i can get away with in it the kills are a coming. tonight i was 4-1 and ive never done that before in any of the ww2 planes online.