Cockpit question - scales located behind left and right consoles

Total Khaos

In the following A-10 cockpit picture, you can see a sliding scale of sorts (1 through 10) tucked directly behind the right console:

A-10C Cockpit (22 of 26).jpg

In that photo, the scale looks to be indicating a value of 6. A similar scale exists behind the left console as well. What are those scales used for? Does it have anything to do with seat height or rudder pedal distances to accommodate pilots with different leg lengths? I haven't had any luck figuring it out and most of the cockpit cross-sections or cutaways I find online seem to omit a description or name for them.

Thanks in advance!

In the following A-10 cockpit picture, you can see a sliding scale of sorts (1 through 10) tucked directly behind the right console:

A-10C Cockpit (22 of 26).jpg

In that photo, the scale looks to be indicating a value of 6. A similar scale exists behind the left console as well. What are those scales used for? Does it have anything to do with seat height or rudder pedal distances to accommodate pilots with different leg lengths? I haven't had any luck figuring it out and most of the cockpit cross-sections or cutaways I find online seem to omit a description or name for them.

Thanks in advance!

The only thing I found in the T.O. 1A-10C-1 that may apply is in page 1-35:

"Rudder Pedal Adjustment Handle.

The rudder panels are individually adjustable with a single rudder

adjustment handle (50, Figure FO-1), located on the upper

side of the center pedestal. When the handle is rotated up, the

pedal assemblies are spring-loaded against the pilot’s feet. After

the rudders are moved to the desired positions, the handle

is released and the pedals lock. The pedal positions are numerically

identified on the pedal assemblies for visual reference."

*Emphasis added

When I look at Fold Out 1 (FO-1), item 50, it appears to be located on the right side of the center pedestal, rather than in front of either side console, as in your picture. Although, as I look at the FO-1 again, number 50 is the rudder pedal adjustment handle, not the indicator(s).

679946176_A-10CCockpit.thumb.png.3f7a3423038176a23a3a1d21dfc4ddba.png

Hardware: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WiFi MB, i9-13900K @ 4.3GHz, 64GB DDR5, NVidia RTX 4090 24GB DDR6X, 2TB M.2 970 EVO Plus, 1TB SSD 850 EVO, Windows 11 Pro, HP Reverb G2, Tobii Head Tracker, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM F/A-18C Grip, TM Viper TQS Mission Pack, CH Pro Pedals.

Modules: A-10A, A-10C, F/A-18C, P-51D-50, Fw 190 A-8, Fw 190 D-9, Bf 109 K-4, Spitfire IX, Mosquito FB VI, AJS-37 Viggen, M-2000C, F-86F, F-15C, F-15E, F-5E, F-14A/B, L-39C, MiG-21bis, MiG-19P, MiG-29, SU-27, SU-33, AV-8B, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H, SA342, A-4E-C, NTTR, PG, CA, Normandy, Channel, Syria, Marianas, South Atlantic, WWII Assets Pack

The only thing I found in the T.O. 1A-10C-1 that may apply is in page 1-35:

"Rudder Pedal Adjustment Handle.

The rudder panels are individually adjustable with a single rudder

adjustment handle (50, Figure FO-1), located on the upper

side of the center pedestal. When the handle is rotated up, the

pedal assemblies are spring-loaded against the pilot’s feet. After

the rudders are moved to the desired positions, the handle

is released and the pedals lock. The pedal positions are numerically

identified on the pedal assemblies for visual reference."

[/size]

*Emphasis added

When I look at Fold Out 1 (FO-1), item 50, it appears to be located on the right side of the center pedestal, rather than in front of either side console, as in your picture. Although, as I look at the FO-1 again, number 50 is the rudder pedal adjustment handle, not the indicator(s).

Cool, that is probably exactly what they are then. It doesn't look like the pilot could reach under there and manipulate the value with their hands, so the pedal adjustment handle connection you've pointed out is probably the right answer.

Thanks so much!