How to get DCS to recognise Persian Gulf

oz555

Need a little advice. I bought the Persian Gulf map and downloaded it along with the stable standard DCS install at a friends house then transferred it onto a Portable hard drive. I did this due to a terrible internet speed at home.

I'm running open Beta on my PC.

I dropped the Mods/terrains/Persian Gulf file from the portable into the same directory on my home install. While it has been recognised in the module manager as installed I cannot access the map in game nor does it show up in any menus.

Any suggestions?

Solved

I moved the new downloaded copy of DCS from the portable hard drive on to a hard drive on my pc, ran the exe and selected all my purchases in the module manager. The updater automatically found all the module and terrain files it needed in my DCS Open Beta install and downloaded the files from there.

Edited by oz555

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

You can't do that. Persian Gulf is protected by ED's licencing system to prevent anyone from dropping the files into any other computer and enjoy it without paying. ( I don't say it is your case but this is what the protection is meant to do).

You have to download and install PG from the computer you are planning to use for DCS.

I just found this from ED, which I think is the answer to my question, but can't work out how to preserve the file structure.

How to install the terrain (map) without Internet on PC ? (or traffic issues on PC)

Due to the rather large volume of the simulator (especially true with the release of maps of Nevada) there are often questions on the quick add module, which is already downloaded on another computer. "Frontal" way of copying might work, but sooner or later it will end up in a complete reinstall.

How to properly and safely do this:

1. Copy the existing module to any temporary location, preserving the folder structure of simulator (for example, E:\DCSCopy\Mods\terrains\Nevada).

2. Create in the root directory of the DCS simulator the text file with the title: dcs_local_source.txt

3. The contents of the file is the path to a temporary directory, in this case (UTF-8!): E:\DCSCopy\Mods\terrains\Nevada

4. Run DCS World, go to module Manager and start installation of Nevada terrain. The Updater will find your existing files, compare the version numbers, download all the required and will install it correctly.

5. After installation of Nevada on second PC, you can delete the temporary directory.

Edited by oz555

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

I would have suggested copying your whole DCS onto that external HDD and run it at your friend's. But that's a great trick there... I think I'll try this out on my second rig with a junction pointing to a network drive which contains my DCS installation on my main rig to save D/L time when updating that second installation.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg