Low Resistance of Mi-8

In your opinion, isn't the resistence of Mi-8 too low?

If you are hit by a few 5.56 bullets, engine fire, hydraulic failure and bye bye...

For example the Huey is a T90 if compared to Mi-8 :lol:

Tks for your feedback.

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic128931_4.gif[/sIGPIC]

SO:Win10 64bit CPU:Intel i7 8700K@3.7 RAM:DDR4 46GB G.Skill Trident 3200MHz CL14 GPU:Nvidia EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW iCX MB:ASRock Z370 Extreme4 HDD:

512GB Samsung 970 PRO SSD M.2 NVMe + 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 2x500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM

Yeah, seems pretty vulnerable. Been wondering about this for ages already myself too.

As a consequence though, I've flown her as an unarmed troop carrier for a while now with a friend providing cover in a gunship Huey, and that seems to work pretty well.

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I honestly don't know the real vulnerability of Mi-8, but the ease with which it is damaged in the most important systems seems to me really strange. Do you think is it appropriate to report this as a bug?

SO:Win10 64bit CPU:Intel i7 8700K@3.7 RAM:DDR4 46GB G.Skill Trident 3200MHz CL14 GPU:Nvidia EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW iCX MB:ASRock Z370 Extreme4 HDD:

512GB Samsung 970 PRO SSD M.2 NVMe + 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 2x500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM

Here's a video of one IRL being hit by a manpad, and continuing on like it doesn't care.

I also agree it has a damage model that leaves it out of balance with the other helicopters in DCS at the moment.

Looking back at the tracks, a single ak-74 burst of seven rounds will bring you down pretty reliably.

Now - that CAN happen I suppose, but it should definitely not be "likely" or as it is now "almost certain." And not only in the Mi-8.

I'd fly it a LOT more if this were brought into balance with the other helos.

Edited by fargo007

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

Well I don't know. I just flew a troops carrier mission where I took a couple of 23mm HE AA hits and then some small arms fire shortly afterwards. At first nothing happened, but then I lost my main hydro after maybe five minutes and then the rear rotor drivetrain failed a bit later. Managed to crash land though and thus survived intact.

The thing is there was no immediate damage and the chopper felt overall more sturdy as well. So maybe they've done something or I'm imagining things, I don't know?

Here's a video of one IRL being hit by a manpad, and continuing on like it doesn't care.

I also agree it has a damage model that leaves it out of balance with the other helicopters in DCS at the moment.

Looking back at the tracks, a single ak-74 burst of seven rounds will bring you down pretty reliably.

Now - that CAN happen I suppose, but it should definitely not be "likely" or as it is now "almost certain." And not only in the Mi-8.

I'd fly it a LOT more if this were brought into balance with the other helos.

Video is incredible...:doh:

I open new topic in Bug section with this topic linked...

yes this beast go down very quick

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

...and continuing on like it doesn't care.

It survived the initial hit but crashed on landing later, or that's the story at any rate. Now ours still appears a bit weak perhaps, but see my note above still - didn't fail instantly either.

Guys, it is the AI ground troops!

Those guys are top notch regardless of who they are.

The regular troopers fire and lead like highly trained spec ops.

If you have weapon, then yours will reach further than theirs.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

partly it's the aiming AI, but partly it's the fact that a single 5.45 can terminally rape your engine, so if you get 5-15 5.45 round shot at you you can lose both engines, catch fire, lose all your governors, lose all your autopilots, etc.

huey and mi-8 both are really fragile. i don't really think the hit locations are even being modeled, or if they are the AI is supernaturally good at aiming and aims directly at those subcomponents with 99% accuracy. any bullet with a TOF of <3 seconds you are going to get roasted, regardless of how big the bullet is it seems.

Thanks for starting this thread. I was wondering myself, because the Mi-8 does look bloody fragile. And yeah, AI ground units are relentless when it comes to accuracy.

The Ka-50 for example, can absorb a good load of bullets and even maybe a MANPAD shot and still be ok.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

A Huey stops to pick up an Mi-8 pilot & crew somewhere in the Persian Gulf.

Huey Pilot: "What'd ya get shot down by? A SAM?"

The Mi-8 pilot refuses to acknowledge.

Huey Pilot: "A manpad?"

The Mi-8 pilot still refuses to acknowledge.

Huey Pilot: "A DshK?"

The Mi-8 pilot still refuses to acknowledge.

Huey Pilot: "JUST TELL ME WHAT IT WAS!!!"

From in the back, one of the Mi-8 crew pipes up:

"It obliterated us so fast we're not sure, but most likely it was a dirty look."

• Like 2

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

• 2 weeks later...
partly it's the aiming AI, but partly it's the fact that a single 5.45 can terminally rape your engine, so if you get 5-15 5.45 round shot at you you can lose both engines, catch fire, lose all your governors, lose all your autopilots, etc.

huey and mi-8 both are really fragile. i don't really think the hit locations are even being modeled, or if they are the AI is supernaturally good at aiming and aims directly at those subcomponents with 99% accuracy. any bullet with a TOF of <3 seconds you are going to get roasted, regardless of how big the bullet is it seems.

Hmm that's an interesting point of view. I guess there's a bunch of things in ED & partners damage models which are weird, incomplete, or not fine tuned. From the Hawk that could tank several missiles to mistral (vikhr?) hits that apparently score no damage... Also the story could often be more interesting and refined than what you think.

Just read the Mills book - an OH-6 littlebird was basically flying over the enemy base camp for hours at low altitude and low speeds. Reportedly some 30 bullet holes from AK-47 (7.62mm?) and the thing was still flying fine. It depends a lot on your luck and where it hits. Mills was also shot down a couple of times.

What I understand of Mi-8/Mi-24 survivability it's mostly due to it being empty space. Probably goes to the Huey as well.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

I do think the Hip is far too fragile in game -I fly it quite a bit and generally speaking when you encounter troops you hear 'tink, tink, grind, crash bang etc' and next action is to call for an ambulance. I try to keep moving near any OPFOR and avoid being stationary.

Like most here I can only speculate, but from reading such books as 'Chickenhawk' about Hueys in 'Nam, they could (depending upon where hit of course) take quite a few hits and be mostly untroubled. The Hip must surely be at least as robust as the Huey.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

159th Guards Aviation Regiment; recruiting now! http://www.159thgar.com/

We now fly all modern Jets and Helos

• 2 weeks later...

Same impression here. Mi-8 is extremely fragile compared to Huey.

I started my helo fun around 2 years ago when I bought Mi-8 and Huey modules altogether.

I like to set up my missions, so I can train the things I like to do at the moment and I set them to be able to fly as Client both Mi-8 or Huey.

While strafing against ground enemy targets that return heavy or light machine-gun fire, the Huey is like, at least, 10 times harder than the Mi-8, and can take a great amount of punishment before anything vital stops working.

In the other hand, Mi-8 gets any of its engines in fire or any other serious system damage and dead pilot/crew most of the time some bullets impact the helo.

Russian pilots during Afghanistan war liked the Mi-8 because it was very sturdy and could take them back to home base even if the hello got a great amount of punishment, this seems to be true.

Will be great that ED takes a serious look to Mi-8 damage model :).

I love to take this great helo to some action, but is a miracle to come back to base with it, in the other hand with the Huey seems like "easy" to face the same challenges and return safe to homebase.

Looking forward to the Hind, and hope when this one gets released, Mi-8 gets a good "revision" on it, like damage model and PBR materials.

• 1 month later...
Huey is sturdier of the two in my experience.

Absolutely. The Huey is brick shithouse and the Hip is plastic portapotty.

I don't even bother using it's awesome firepower because a few shots from a soldier will ruin your day, every time, period. It's no fun.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Signed

I dont get the feeling that it's not sturdy. I usually survive hits from MANPADS for example.

The feeling I get is that the engines are bullet magnets to small arms fire.

As have been mentioned many times. Every dude with a automatic rifle will shoot out your engines, even from maximum range, and while you are moving at 200 - 250 kmh

There is a HUGE cargo cabin, that you'd think is most likely to get hit.

But every single 5.45 or 5.56 round seemes to find its way into your engines and set them on fire.

definantly needs to be looked at

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

• 6 months later...

I just like to bump up this message, i also feel like the mi8 is way to easy to kill. ( i dident fly it much for several month in 2019, dont know if it was updated ).

(also from a gameplay point of view it would be more fun if it become damaged and limping down on one engine or putting out fire ect than dying.

My experience is that i should fly high and use rockets from max distance and els stay outside the range of enemy's... the mi8 do have MG gun ect. but its when you try to fight with it, that you die.

( but els fantastic helicopter )