New sounds discussion

The sound in the cockpit is based on the sounds we recorded from a real spitfire IX cockpit. it sounds exactly as implemented.

But then you did a really good job. If that's the real sound of a Spitfire IX, sorry, but it does not get any better! I can not understand that there are some here again, the moan and moan again!

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

Congratulations BTD. Any issues I had with the Spitfire sounds - which weren't many and mainly limited to externals - are gone.

Aside from some of the limitations inherent to the medium, and the tweaks you've already made and await the next update, I would say that most importantly you have most successfully captured the flavour of the 60-series Merlin Spitfire - I particularly like the almost whip-crack like change in tone of the high speed fly-by, and the phasing of the lower frequencies as the aircraft recedes which was missing in the earlier versions.

Thanks for your hard work.

Now to try out the Pony!

• ED Team
I have just tried a flight with SPitfire after the last update, the sounds have improved a lot in the cockpit and on the outside from the static view but on the contrary if you stand outside and watch a replay like "aishow style" through the external view "F3", as the plane moves away from you you hear the roar of a jet plane !!!!

what the **** ???

Please fix it and it's ridiculous to say the least !!!

Sorry, but I think you use some of sound mods or maybe you don't have the last beta update. Maybe try to repair your dcs version. There are no jet sounds in spitfire now

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

• ED Team

Thanks for your hard work.

Now to try out the Pony!

Many thanks :) Glad to read it )

It is quite difficult to find the time to edit the "old" modules. A lot of work with different errors, tasks and new modules. But I think that when such an opportunity appears again, I will remake German planes first. They were made much earlier, and for a long time requires rework

Best regards,

Maybe my update has gotten corrupted? I disabled my Mustang and Spitfire sound mods before updating, and when I heard about this, I flew the Spitfire in it's Caucasus free flight mission, with Mustang AI. The only difference that is more or less obvious is the length at which sounds will extend to the rear of an aircraft, particularly during a flyby. Essentially I can hear the Spitfire for longer when it flies past.

The Mustang sounds the same as ever, no change.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Hello there.

As a sound engineer with hundreds of recorings infield samples I would like to say that F-18 and F-16 sound are prety goood but... Merlin sound inside and outside cockpit my friends.... a long way to go. I would like to encourage ED sound engineer to close look on Jafa mod for Merlin

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3068422/

it is not perfect but very, very, very goooood.

Can we go in that way of doing sound for our beauties?

Best regars HOLY

Hello there.

As a sound engineer with hundreds of recorings infield samples I would like to say that F-18 and F-16 sound are prety goood but... Merlin sound inside and outside cockpit my friends.... a long way to go. I would like to encourage ED sound engineer to close look on Jafa mod for Merlin

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3068422/

it is not perfect but very, very, very goooood.

Can we go in that way of doing sound for our beauties?

Best regars HOLY

This.

In previous discussions people have claimed that the videos on YouTube cannot be the thing to go by because of the mics and such. However lots of videos online sound the same as all the p51 spitfires and other piston planes I hear, the Dcs sounds are lacking a great deal. There are many reasons why this could be but I imagine they need some fine tuning. Whilst flying in the real world I hear the lower pitch sounds, there is always a constant droning, that is what kinda feels like is missing.

Nice work so far! It is an improvement

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

This.

In previous discussions people have claimed that the videos on YouTube cannot be the thing to go by because of the mics and such. However lots of videos online sound the same as all the p51 spitfires and other piston planes I hear, the Dcs sounds are lacking a great deal. There are many reasons why this could be but I imagine they need some fine tuning. Whilst flying in the real world I hear the lower pitch sounds, there is always a constant droning, that is what kinda feels like is missing.

Nice work so far! It is an improvement

Absolutely always go forward

not backward:thumbup:

Maybe my update has gotten corrupted? I disabled my Mustang and Spitfire sound mods before updating, and when I heard about this, I flew the Spitfire in it's Caucasus free flight mission, with Mustang AI. The only difference that is more or less obvious is the length at which sounds will extend to the rear of an aircraft, particularly during a flyby. Essentially I can hear the Spitfire for longer when it flies past.

The Mustang sounds the same as ever, no change.

Internal sound of p-51 is changed completely

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I just had a look at Phil's video, and holy cow the Spit sounds very different!! If my update isn't corrupted, I don't know how but somehow I missed that.

As for the Mustang, I admit I only listened to external sounds. They seem to sound the same, but I haven't jumped into the cockpit. I'm eager to give them a listen myself

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

You have been very helpful here in this thread, and very open! I've never seen you around here, and to drop a hotfix via dropbox (a very casual thing to do, and I like it lol) and mentioning an audio slider on the way, as well as other things is very appreciated by me. Seems like a strange thing to point out, but I'd like to say thank you for being here and engaging with us

Hi btd, if possible could the sound that is made when the throttle is cut to fast be reduced or changed, I'm not sure what it is supposed to be, backfire? But it sounds the same between all modules and stands out a lot from the rest :)

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

I've done some more testing with earphones, and I really like the new sound, the Spit feels so much more alive now.

If there is one thing that could be improved is to make the external sounds from different angles blend in a bit more smoothly. Now as you move the camera around the plane the nature of the sound changes drastically and suddenly. Just my 2 cents.

Anyhow, here's hoping for a similar update for the P-51 and the 109 :)

• ED Team

Thank you very much, guys.

but side sound was still loud as combustion was still going on but i was out of gass completely

I double-checked, you turned out to be right. This is a bug. We'll fix it. Thanks for your report!

Hi btd, if possible could the sound that is made when the throttle is cut to fast be reduced or changed, I'm not sure what it is supposed to be, backfire? But it sounds the same between all modules and stands out a lot from the rest :)

Do you speak about "Crackling" sound - ...\LockOnExe\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Engines\PackardMerlinProp\Cockpit\CracklingIn.wav ?.

I know It’s hard to find it on YouTube. Because you shouldn't throw gas sharply. For this, the owner of the plane will not praise the pilot)

But recently the likelihood of making this sound and other "Pop"-sounds has been slightly reduced. I'm not sure if this hit the current beta

Best regards,

Thank you very much, guys.

I double-checked, you turned out to be right. This is a bug. We'll fix it. Thanks for your report!

Do you speak about "Crackling" sound - ...\LockOnExe\Sounds\Effects\Aircrafts\Engines\PackardMerlinProp\Cockpit\CracklingIn.wav ?.

I know It’s hard to find it on YouTube. Because you shouldn't throw gas sharply. For this, the owner of the plane will not praise the pilot)

But recently the likelihood of making this sound and other "Pop"-sounds has been slightly reduced. I'm not sure if this hit the current beta

Yeah that's the one and the one in the folder previous. The sound stands out a fair bit. Probably the best time to hear it would be when landing if doing a glide approach. It isn't as loud and more of a deeper tone.

I found this video of a guy running a griffon engine poorly and it backfires and pops and bangs.

About 1:30 in the video

I know this isn't the same engine but it does give and idea of the sound that could be created?

Edited by hazzer

Hello, thanks. Yes, it's mine track. But in your version the quality of the track is spoiled somehow. Maybe compressor or smth... Compare with original especially loud parts of the track
:)

It was very compresed indeed.

Very god work btd. I hope that work over warbirds engines will be on the same level. Look on Jafa mod please.

Keep going forward man !!!!

It was very compresed indeed.

Very god work btd. I hope that work over warbirds engines will be on the same level. Look on Jafa mod please.

Keep going forward man !!!!

Yeah btd I know you do have the sounds direct from the aircraft but perhaps trying jafas spitfire or p51 sound mod would be nice. There are some sounds which come across more accurately, maybe give some inspiration?

As an aside I have noticed that when flying I can hear other planes over my own; even same type. With hear like in helmet on or off. In reality when flying we can just hear the engine and wind noise, maybe the other aircraft sounds could be lower in cockpit?

Thanks for taking the time to seek feedback :)

• ED Team

Dear all, DСS should not be limited to just my sounds. Everyone has different tastes. Some people like the sound of YouTube. Some people like over-compressed sounds. Some people like something else ... Please use sound and other mods if you like them.

I can hear other planes over my own; even same type. With hear like in helmet on or off. In reality when flying we can just hear the engine and wind noise, maybe the other aircraft sounds could be lower in cockpit? )

It's ok. The pilot will hear the other planes in the cockpit, If the engine is not at maximum. Do you hear the other planes with engine at maximum in DCS?

Best regards,