🔴 JG-1 "Fritz Schmenkel" - North American & European REDFOR

Klaiber

JG-1_square.png?dl=0

JG-1 “Fritz Schmenkel” is a serious-minded virtual squadron.

Virtual JG-1 has a long and distinguished history.

Our parent organization was established in March 1992 as a “Red Baron Online” group.

We are one of the oldest virtual squadrons currently active on the internet.

In 2022, we celebrated our 30th Anniversary.

JG-1 “Fritz Schmenkel” is composed of three squadrons:

• 1. Jagdstaffel (1.JS) - North American-based
  • 2. Jagdstaffel (2.JS) - European-based
  • 3. Jagdstaffel (3.JS) - Active Reserves

JG-1 “Fritz Schmenkel” is a dedicated REDFOR fighter wing.

We focus on Cold War aircraft, specifically those flown by the East German and Warsaw Pact air forces.

However, we do also fly non-Warsaw Pact aircraft that are commonly found on REDFOR teams.

Our primary aircraft are:

• MiG-21bis Fishbed
  • MiG-19P Farmer
  • MiG-15bis
  • L-39C/ZA Albatros
  • Mi-8MTV2 Hip
  • Mi-24P Hind
  • Su-25/T Frogfoot

We also fly:

• JF-17 Thunder
  • F-5E Tiger II
  • Mirage F1
  • Mirage 2000C
  • F-14A/B Tomcat
  • MiG-29 Fulcrum
  • Su-27 Flanker
  • Su-33 Flanker-D

Check us out at the following locations:

Edited by Klaiber

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Greetings

I have found the JG1 on the forum but i'me not really sure if I can manage to be a part of it. Are there any fixed dates per week on wich you operate and any requirements on how much someone has to be there? I am currently part of a casual squadron which I don't really want to leave but I also would love to get some more serious flight hours in my beloved Fishbed.

Hi Sarpalaxan,

Thanks for the interest!

Our European pilots meet on Tuesdays at 8:00PM CET. Our North American pilots meet on Fridays at 10:30PM EST. And when possible, we all meet together (usually on weekends).

Obviously, real life always comes first. So we don't expect people to be around all the time. However, we do ask people be actively involved in the group, as the squadron is designed to be competitive. We actively fly against other squadrons online and in tournament events, and thus need to train together.

Generally, we're pretty strict about people belonging to two groups simultaneously. Unless given special dispensation, we frown upon it, as it's a conflict of interest and scheduling. However, we can make exceptions on a case by case basis.

If you're interested in the squadron's code of conduct rules, you can find a copy of it here on our WW2 website:

https://jg1.org/schmenkel/dicta/

We're still in the process of constructing our Cold War-era website, so I apologize for the era jump.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Klaiber

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Are you still active? Is there any Discord or Steam Link to contact you?

What is a man if he loses his homeland? We, the pilots, must fly and take the first and the strongest impact of the aggressor on ourselves so we could save at least one child in this country.

Major Zoran Radosavljevic *26.02.1965 +26.03.1999

Legenda si bio, legenda ostao...

Hi IL2TOBIAS,

JG-1 is definitely active and also actively recruiting. We're actually flying in the finals for Operation Meltdown this weekend.

If you're interested in checking us out, here is a link to our DCS squadron website: https://jg1.org/schmenkel

Additionally, you can stop by our forums and fill out a recruitment application: https://forum.jg1.org/forum/92-jg1-recruitment/

We have both North American and European members, so most timezones are covered.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Klaiber

• 1 month later...

Jagdfliegergeschwader 1 (JG-1) "Fritz Schmenkel" is still recruiting.

VH0ezRW.png

Hptm. Johann "Jonne" Engel (551) photographed by Offz.-S., 3 Martin Balge after a succesful airfield strike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...

Jagdfliegergeschwader 1 (JG-1) "Fritz Schmenkel" is still recruiting.

Jonne%28511%29%26Firefy%28545%29%26Erhardt%28431%29.png?dl=0

Formation takeoff: Hptm. Johann "Jonne" Engel (511), Oblt. Bruno "Firefly" Henschel (545), and Ult. Matthäus Erhardt (431) of 2.JS. Photographed by Offz.-S., 2 Wilhelm "Willi" Conrads.

Jonne%28511%29%26Willi%28604%29%29.png?dl=0

A mixed element: Hptm. Johann "Jonne" Engel (511), and Offz.-S., 2 Wilhelm "Willi" Conrads (604) forming up in a MiG-29A.

Edited by Klaiber

cool outfit you have there. I'd fly with you guys, (I like the MiG-21). Unfortunately life commitments won't allow me to be tied out with a squadron at a set frequency.

best of luck to you folks!

Edited by javelina1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

javelina1 said:
cool outfit you have there. I'd fly with you guys, (I like the MiG-21). Unfortunately life commitments won't allow me to be tied out with a squadron at a set frequency.

best of luck to you folks!

Thanks javelina, much appreciated!

If your schedule ever changes, definitely look us up.

Edited by Klaiber

• 11 months later...

21_join.png?dl=0

JG-1 Fritz Schmenkel is on the hunt for new pilots!

Our Geschwader has been roaming the virtual skies for nearly 30 years, starting as a Red Baron Online group in March 1992.  We’ve grown considerably, however, since the days of dial-up and Windows 3.1!

JG-1 is a seriously-minded group that focuses on the aircraft of the Cold War-era Luftstreitkräfte der Nationalen Volksarmee (East German Airforce).  Our primary aircraft are the MiG-21bis, the MIG-15bis, the MiG-19P, the L-39, the Mi-8MTV2, and the Mi-24P.  But we also actively fly the Mirage 2000C, the JF-17 Thunder and the F-14A/B.  We fly both air-to-air and air-to-ground missions, often with combined arms elements when available.

We’re international (with strong North American and European support), practice multiple times throughout the week, are extremely active in events, and fly as realistically as possible.  We also have an active training program for all members.

If you’re interested in a dynamic and fun group to learn and fly with, we might be the right fit.

Feel free to stop by our forum: https://forum.jg1.org/

Feel free to stop by our Discord: https://discord.gg/SM6Uk5XuJ2

Edited by Klaiber
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Guten Tag,

I wonder how the JF-17 fits into the picture? I'm liking the Thunder quite much, apart from the manual and the recently appearing bugs, and it's my main airframe for now. Do you fly the Jeff as a "hop in and have fun" airplane then, or do you aspire the same mil-sim attitude towards the JF-17 excercises?

Have a good week!

• 1 month later...
  • Klaiber changed the title to JG-1 "Fritz Schmenkel" - North American & European REDFOR
  • Klaiber changed the title to 🔴 JG-1 "Fritz Schmenkel" - North American & Euro REDFOR | MiG-21bis - MiG-19P - MiG-15bis
  • 2 weeks later...

All,

JG-1 wants to fly and train against a BLUFOR squadron with similar interests.  And if things went well, we’d be interested in setting up more formal events for the future, potentially involving multiple squadrons.

The plane-set for any practice/event would be developed in advance.  But think along the lines of Enigma’s, Blue Flag Cold War, or Alpenwolf’s Cold War.  We’d, of course, be willing to consider going against more modern aircraft.  However, we’d need to carefully discuss the objectives to make things fun for both sides.

To contact us, check us out on our Discord: https://discord.gg/SM6Uk5XuJ2

Or find us at our website: https://jg1.org/schmenkel/

• Klaiber changed the title to 🔴 JG-1 "Fritz Schmenkel" - North American & European REDFOR
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

JG-1 "Fritz Schmenkel" is still recruiting.

We're currently looking to expand both our North American and European squadrons.

Stop by our website or Discord:

5.png?dl=0
1.JS line-up while visiting Krasnodar-Center.

• 3 months later...

All, JG-1 "Fritz Schmenkel" is still recruiting.

We're currently looking to expand both our North American and European squadrons.

Bamse
321 Red, flown by Offz.-S., 2 Ulrich (Bamse) Denzinger of 2.JS/JG-1.  Note the unofficial ground crew art on the aircraft's tailfin.

Edited by Klaiber
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

MiG-21_v2.png.f6f79058d578361e66fc31e94a4c8f70.png

JG-1 "Fritz Schmenkel" is recruiting.  

Our workhorse aircraft are the MiG-21bis, the MiG-19P, the Mi-24P, the Mi-8MTV2, and Su-25/T.

We're eagerly anticipating the MiG-29, the MiG-17, the MiG-23, and the F-4E for Persian Gulf REDFOR sorties.

We have a strong North American squadron, and are currently looking to grow our European membership.

. . .

Screen_231013_203308.png.fc6086d71ac0c1901cb72b24ff3684c9.png
Obstlt. Georg Klaiber (425) and Maj. Gerhard (Britchot) Heiberger (424) on patrol in MiG-19Ps.

image.jpeg

1.JS and 2.JS pilots conducting helicopter operations.

Edited by Klaiber