DCS WWII Map Discussion

Of course, I can. Everybody can. But for WW2 this is not necessary. We know from numerous reports how and where these airframes got deployed. The other sim currently has the majority of the WW2 community hocked despite being an inferior sim. Apart from the dm, which is being reworked in DCS anyway, the dealbreaker for these guys is the map and a channel scenario does not address this. And they won't buy the "sandbox" argument either. A sandbox could also be made with the Rhineland where outside of the I16 all current WW2 aircraft would have a place.

Ironjockel, I don't doubt that people use this argument, however, I find this argument from players of other sims/another sim to be somewhat disingenuous. I've played on a good few servers in other WW2 sims over many years and I've noticed that, with some regularity, almost every flyable aircraft has to be added to every match simply because the player-base (in whatever sim) always seems to demand more. We end up in the situation where 1941 to mid-1945 aircraft from Germany are pitted against Russian, British and American airframes also ranging from 1941 all the way to 1945. It is quite rare that a server has the guts to put up a specific plane set from a specific date, and when they do, those missions often result in a player exodus to other servers. I've seen this play our for many years, across a range of sims. The idea that people only (or even primarily) want to play on realistic geographies with realistic cohorts of aircraft is simply not true for the most part, IMO. I think the argument is an excuse for something else.

Personally, I could fly (and in fact I have flown) just one single variant of the Spitfire for years. I'd happily play a game that was ONLY a spitfire simulator if it was modelled well . . .

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
I pray there is a release of aircraft suitable for a Battle of Britain scenario in the future, the map would be perfect.

Mr. Grey is a big fan of the time period if we have hope of this, it lies in the fact that the owner is a big fan of BoB.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
Ironjockel, I don't doubt that people use this argument, however, I find this argument from players of other sims/another sim to be somewhat disingenuous. I've played on a good few servers in other WW2 sims over many years and I've noticed that, with some regularity, almost every flyable aircraft has to be added to every match simply because the player-base (in whatever sim) always seems to demand more. We end up in the situation where 1941 to mid-1945 aircraft from Germany are pitted against Russian, British and American airframes also ranging from 1941 all the way to 1945. It is quite rare that a server has the guts to put up a specific plane set from a specific date, and when they do, those missions often result in a player exodus to other servers. I've seen this play our for many years, across a range of sims. The idea that people only (or even primarily) want to play on realistic geographies with realistic cohorts of aircraft is simply not true for the most part, IMO. I think the argument is an excuse for something else.

Personally, I could fly (and in fact I have flown) just one single variant of the Spitfire for years. I'd happily play a game that was ONLY a spitfire simulator if it was modelled well . . .

I have seen similar things as well, many in the community demand the exact locations these aircraft lived most of all, but even if that was given, I am willing to bet any and every aircraft will still be used in MP servers. I generally don't see a ton of historic effort unless its Single-player missions or campaigns.

All that said, I think people underestimate what fun this map will bring with the cross channel flights and fights. A more detailed UK for more detailed targets for German aircraft, and I foresee us reaching some of these other areas eventually as well. We still have a ton of content both terrain and modules we can put out for the European Theatre.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

"Having the right assets is a start, many uniforms were different colour, many cars and tanks had different modifications to them as did aircraft and the bf109 trop and the spitfire with the dust filter are good examples of this."

In a sim, in which 109 K-4 and 190 D-9 are always used on areas they never flew, this is not an argument.

It would be great to have correct skins for infantry and vehicles eventually, but despite CA this is still a flightsim first. Especially since we won't see much armored warfare on the island maps.

Out of the cockpit of anything without a Tpod I can barely correctly identify what kind of vehicle I am attacking, not if it has the correct color scheme or exhaust stack.

Big question :

Will the new channel map will be optimized like the Normandy ? Or it will be a bit more fps friendly ?

Channel is being done directly by ED whereas Normandy was done by Ugra. In the newsletter, it is stated that they are using their last map technologies so I assume that this will include optimisations and better looking terrain (as you can already see in the screenshots).

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

Big question :

Will the new channel map will be optimized like the Normandy ? Or it will be a bit more fps friendly ?

Have your u tried Normandy recently? Runs really well now

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Have your u tried Normandy recently? Runs really well now

Yes I almost fly only on it and when there is nothing more than only my plane on the map, I can go easlily at 45 fps when at low level. It depends where I look and where I am.

North of Caen and Caen are terrible. But at altitude over 300 / 500m, I have no problem. I get almost 55 - 60 fps during all the flight. Even over these two sector.

It's only when I fly close to the ground. Maybe the level of details of objects is hard to load for the game.

Yes I almost fly only on it and when there is nothing more than only my plane on the map, I can go easlily at 45 fps when at low level. It depends where I look and where I am.

North of Caen and Caen are terrible. But at altitude over 300 / 500m, I have no problem. I get almost 55 - 60 fps during all the flight. Even over these two sector.

It's only when I fly close to the ground. Maybe the level of details of objects is hard to load for the game.

What's your rig? Maybe you're pushing a bit too much for your hardware.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

I7 8700K, 16Go Ram and 1080.

7EUebQs.png

As I talk to some other, updating to 32 go ram could do it as they fly without problem.

But as I don't get that much problem with the other map. I think it's just because the map is not finished. And I hope that the new map made by ED will be as good as the other map :)

I tried some days ago. It didn't change a lot the fps (maybe 1 or 2).

I think the best think to do is to wait and see for the channel map ;)

If you have a high end graphics card, then you will be CPU limited. This means that lowering graphical options that load work on the GPU will not yield a performance increase due to the CPU being the bottleneck. Other options like Terrain Shadows Flat may yield more performance specially in dense tree areas but as I limit my FPS to 60, I will not see any FPS improvement from lowering graphics.

And if you ask yourself why do I limit my FPS having a 1440p, 144 hz, GSYNC monitor, it is because I feel the game smoother if I have stable FPS rather than going to 100 FPS high in the sky and around 52 - 60 when I am low in a dense tree valley. However, I am still trying options in order to find my sweetspot. I will try to unlock frames again today maybe.

The PC is in my signature.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Normandy map err near Maupertus airfield:

err02.thumb.jpg.847ed83064795a939bf6e3520feadeaa.jpg

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

You would be fine with a map that fits the historical combat area for these aircraft too.

There are hundreds of sim pilots that won't get into DCS, leaving WW2 multiplayer in DCS dead as it is, and that is just sad.

As soon as you make the map and ground assets separate purchases from the airplanes you've decided you don't care about popularity.

Anyway, the DCS WW2 planset is a chronological mismatch, and so is the current map, and so is the future map. I would really like to see an effort to have some consistency moving forward, but it looks like it is too late.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• 2 months later...

Guys, I have a doubt.

ED stated not long ago that there were two free maps being worked on, one being a WWII map. Well, Marianas was announced for modern setting, and soon after and by surprise, after some demand from the community, Nick Grey announced that they will make a WWII version of Marianas.

My question is: is this the free map ED was preparing for WWII or is there another unannounced free map for WWII?

I have this doubt because WWII Marianas seemed to be a pretty improvised decision.

What do you guys think?

No, they originally said that the new free map would be suitable for both WWII and contemporary aircraft. That map turned out to be the Marianna's map. After the initial screenshots were released there was a bit of a hue and cry about how would it be suitable for WWII and before the torches could be lit and pitchforks sharpened Nick Grey announced that a separate WWII version would be released. Not sure if this is the second free map you are referring to, I can't remember where I saw any mention of another free map I do remember that there was talk of a new free map (The Marianas), and two WWII maps, presumably the Channel Map and another one. Both will be paid for I am sure. The real mystery is why did they add the Ferdinand (Elephant) to the WWII Assets pack?

• 1 month later...
No, they originally said that the new free map would be suitable for both WWII and contemporary aircraft. That map turned out to be the Marianna's map. After the initial screenshots were released there was a bit of a hue and cry about how would it be suitable for WWII and before the torches could be lit and pitchforks sharpened Nick Grey announced that a separate WWII version would be released. Not sure if this is the second free map you are referring to, I can't remember where I saw any mention of another free map I do remember that there was talk of a new free map (The Marianas), and two WWII maps, presumably the Channel Map and another one. Both will be paid for I am sure. The real mystery is why did they add the Ferdinand (Elephant) to the WWII Assets pack?

Maybe a Italy front?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elefant#/media/File:Niemieccy_piechurzy_podczas_marszu_na_froncie_pod_Nettuno_-_Nazio_(2-2169).jpg

So how is this new channel map? Why should I want it when I already have the Normandy map? We don't have any of the planes that go with it except for the Spit IX.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

P-47s based out of High Halden

P-51s (admittedly 'B's) out of Lashenden (airfield not currently existing in DCS Channel map)

Fw-190A8 units HQs were based off map but some detachments would have spent time in airfields close to or within the DCS map boundaries at some point. Whether these airfields are presnrt is beynd my knowledge curently, however they would have been operational over it.