The dogfight switch

Cintra

In short, it enters the Dogfight override mode. This mode has its own set of MFD pages, it introduces some HUD elements meant to help with dogfighting and puts the radar in ACM mode.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

This is the early access guide...

It also explains exactly what Dogfight mode does...

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Shouldn't the DOGFIGHT switch default to the 9X when loaded? This is by far the most inconvinient thing i've found the in F16 which btw is great in the hornet.

Also why by default the aim9x is not slaved to the JHMCS and you need to go press the OSB?

Basically when i'm in a situation when a bogey is really close and i need to go DOGFIGHT mode i need to do the following:

Step 0- Go long press of weapon selector switch to change 120C to 9X, the A or B

A: Go TMS-up to lock the bandit and launch the aim9x (Warning the bandit if he has not seen me yet)

B: Take my eyes off him in order to go press the OSB from slave to Bore, in order to acquire him with the 9x seeker and JHMCS (Cage/uncage).

How do you guys do this? For the time being i've mapped the OSB switch to my HOTAS but it is a lot of buttons presses in such situation. The hornet is so simple... you just select the 9X look at the bandit, uncage the 9X and boom he is dead in 1 second.

Shouldn't the DOGFIGHT switch default to the 9X when loaded? This is by far the most inconvinient thing i've found the in F16 which btw is great in the hornet.

Also why by default the aim9x is not slaved to the JHMCS and you need to go press the OSB?

AFAIR the Dogfight Master Mode not defaulting to AIM-9s was a bug and should have been fixed in one of the latest patches (non 100% sure anyway, maybe I am confusing with other fixes).

For slaving to the HMCS in the Viper they use Cursor Enable (which is an HOTAS function, so no need to detach your eyes from the enemy), but unfortunately it's still not implemented right now.

BlueRaven.jpg

Nulla Dies Sine Linea

Basically when i'm in a situation when a bogey is really close and i need to go DOGFIGHT mode i need to do the following:

Step 0- Go long press of weapon selector switch to change 120C to 9X, the A or B

A: Go TMS-up to lock the bandit and launch the aim9x (Warning the bandit if he has not seen me yet)

B: Take my eyes off him in order to go press the OSB from slave to Bore, in order to acquire him with the 9x seeker and JHMCS (Cage/uncage).

How do you guys do this? For the time being i've mapped the OSB switch to my HOTAS but it is a lot of buttons presses in such situation. The hornet is so simple... you just select the 9X look at the bandit, uncage the 9X and boom he is dead in 1 second.

What for do you need to lock on to a target with a 9X? I only ever do that when I can't visually spot the guy... TWS also removes the lock-on warning, eliminating that too.

For slaving to the HMCS in the Viper they use Cursor Enable (which is an HOTAS function, so no need to detach your eyes from the enemy), but unfortunately it's still not implemented right now.

This.

I'm a bit dissapointed this kind of thing is not implemented already. It would make dogfight much more convinient than what we have now.

I'm not a coder but it seem its not something complex to add. They already fixed DMS down long for activated/deactivated HMCS thou

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

This.

I'm a bit dissapointed this kind of thing is not implemented already. It would make dogfight much more convinient than what we have now.

I'm not a coder but it seem its not something complex to add. They already fixed DMS down long for activated/deactivated HMCS thou

When you find yourself being disappointed about something like this, ask yourself the "Priority question".

Is this switch really something ED cares about right now? All I ever do is hold my NWS button for 1 second and I've got my aim9x and that's all I need to either finish the fight or be finished.

But yeah, would be nice if it was working as with many other things that aren't.

What for do you need to lock on to a target with a 9X? I only ever do that when I can't visually spot the guy... TWS also removes the lock-on warning, eliminating that too.
When you are in a dogfight inside 4 nm your 9x slaved to your helmet gives you a 180 degree of "lock and shoot capability" OTOH when using your radar this shrink to "only" 120 degress. Additionally he will know your position on his rwr had he lost you for a second during the merge, not to say that you dont have time to use tws in a dogfight and you will probably need to stt him.

So let me put it the other way: why wouldnt you use your 9x seeker slaved to your helmet to kill a bandit without even a rwr search warning? ;) (I have lots of 9x kills in the hornet in MP and i can tell you that its by far one of the best features)

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

I use the Boat Switch on the TM Warthog as the Dogfight Button...Pull back for in-close guns or AIM-9 Heaters, Push forward for MRM AIM7/AIM120 engagement. Position middle returns to NAV mode.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fa/F-16_Throttle.jpg/440px-F-16_Throttle.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/F-16_Side_Stick_Controller.jpg

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When you are in a dogfight inside 4 nm your 9x slaved to your helmet gives you a 180 degree of "lock and shoot capability" OTOH when using your radar this shrink to "only" 120 degress. Additionally he will know your position on his rwr had he lost you for a second during the merge, not to say that you dont have time to use tws in a dogfight and you will probably need to stt him.

So let me put it the other way: why wouldnt you use your 9x seeker slaved to your helmet to kill a bandit without even a rwr search warning? ;) (I have lots of 9x kills in the hornet in MP and i can tell you that its by far one of the best features)

Trust me, I love the 9x and have a good few kills with them too. I just personally feel that the opportunity to use even the HMD cueing is about 1 out of 10 'encounters' with enemy aircraft. Mostly the fight ends with the AIM120c or whatever and sometimes it gets close enough to justify a 9x and SOMETIMES you are close enough to even use the HMD cueing and other things you have mentioned.

But anyway, what I'm saying is that ED will quite likely finish other higher priority items for the aircraft before this.

Trust me, I love the 9x and have a good few kills with them too. I just personally feel that the opportunity to use even the HMD cueing is about 1 out of 10 'encounters' with enemy aircraft. Mostly the fight ends with the AIM120c or whatever and sometimes it gets close enough to justify a 9x and SOMETIMES you are close enough to even use the HMD cueing and other things you have mentioned.

But anyway, what I'm saying is that ED will quite likely finish other higher priority items for the aircraft before this.

Yes sure, I know eventually ED will adress it, which does not contradict that right now is quite inconvinient when everything goes wrong and you get to a merge. But i can live with that. Hopefully it will be solved in January/february.

This was one of those things I've been wondering about since I couldn't figure out how to select the Sidewinder. If I was A2A mode, it always defaults to the AIM-120.

Successfully locking targets for BVR shots has been a whole other can of worms I've run into in the 16 so far.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

• 2 weeks later...

Dogfight mode

Is it just me or is dogfight mode completely useless? I do TMS up to put the radar to boresight and it brings up the symbology on the HUD, but it won't lock anything. I did this with a Mig 29 coming right at me and passed me head on. No lock. :dunno:

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

There is an interesting bug/WIP issue with boresite right now. When you TMS up it will slew the radar to where you are looking (and every time you press TMS up it updates to where you are looking). This is how boresite locking works with the helmet display right now. If you TMS down after this it will return to boresight mode looking down the hud as you expect.

You can actually watch this happen on the FCR. Look up and to the right for example and press TMS UP, you'll see the radar beam will move up and right (look at the carats on the edges). Once you press TMS down, it will re-center vertically and start to move very quickly around 1-2 degrees horizontally (and now a boresite lock down the hud will work).

Hopefully once we get dynamic helmet boresite following implemented like the hornet, this wont be an issue anymore.

Is it just me or is dogfight mode completely useless? I do TMS up to put the radar to boresight and it brings up the symbology on the HUD, but it won't lock anything. I did this with a Mig 29 coming right at me and passed me head on. No lock. :dunno:

It is work in progress

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

It is work in progress

Of course it is, but my post was seeking confirmation if it indeed did not work or if I was doing something wrong. It sounds more like it’s just not finished. Is there another way to engage bandits in WVR without relying on dogfight mode?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer