Upcoming Afghanistan map discussion

shagrat

Upcoming Afghanistan map discussion  

453 members have voted

1. 1. Upcoming Afghanistan map discussion

• East Afghanistan (Nuristan, Kunar, Nangarhar, Khowst) and Pakistan border
    • Southeast Afghanistan around Kabul (Kabul, Wardak, Paktia to Paktika)
    • South Afghanistan (Helmand, Uruzgan, Kandarhar, Zabul)
    • The northern regions (Kunduz, Baglan, Samangan,Balkh)
    • West Afghanistan (Herat, Farah and Nimrus) and east of Iran

I am hoping for a Christmas surprise on the map front. There are so many modules to choose from but only the three modern maps along with Normandy.

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

My vote is eastern Afghanistan. I served in all the RCs, but honestly, this is the area that is the most interesting to fly in in my opinion. Mountains are a challenge, especially for helicopter pilots, near the ground, supporting operations.

No offense at all to my brothers and sisters in other RCs, at whatever time in history, but just my feeling thinking about the time I've spent there. Eastern Afghanistan feels different, and is what I think about whenever I think of that country.

That said, I'll be happy with whatever we get.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

• 5 months later...

I vote for the region including Kandahar. I was stationed there in 2007-2008 with the 24th MEU supporting operations in Helmand Province. No particular reason, but that would probably be the closest I could get to leaving the wire, lol.

It's not CAS it's punishment. VMA-542, (HMM-365 Rein) [bit of an inside joke = MALS-69, Takin it from both ends]

Nope, awkwardly silent. There is the new Marianas Map in the pipeline, but no more news about this one.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The only "official" information last conveyed by Wags in an interview was that, while ED is certainly interested in this map, there was no work on it planned in the ner future.

This is also confirmed by pipeline published by ED COO.

As it stands now, do not expect this situation to change this year.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

• 2 weeks later...
DCS Maps are approx 1800 NM x 800 NM with detailed area around 400 x 400 NM.

Afghanistan is slightly smaller than the state of Texas, with a total area of 647,500 sq km (250,001 sq mi), extending 1,240 km (770 mi) NE–SW and 560 km (350 mi) SE–NW. Most of the country can be in the detailed area.

Exactly! That's why, no wonder how much it takes I want to wait to see the whole Afghanistan available in the detailed area. I'm sure everyone would enjoy having it complete rather than tared apart.

Even if this would become the most expensive map to buy, I'm all forward for having it 100% covered within the detailed zone.

Good knowledge and common sense make the absurd run for defense.

Flying has always been a great interest for mankind, yet learning everything about it brought the greatest challenge!

Think of it! Almost a decade waited MI-24 + the Afghanistan map! Does it look like a great chance to reconstitute some of the missions they had there between 79' and 89'?

Good knowledge and common sense make the absurd run for defense.

Flying has always been a great interest for mankind, yet learning everything about it brought the greatest challenge!

• 2 months later...
I vote for East Afghanistan with the high mountains of the Hindukusch and the famous Tora Borah area and Bagram air base of course. But I would also love to get the Kunduz area in northern Afghanistan including Mazar e Sharif or southern Afghanistan with its infamous Helmand and Kandahar provinces and the big Kandahar air base. I'm not really interested in western Afghanistan though.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

..and dont forget the Camp Marmal! :smartass:(and its mirror-inverted little brother airfield camp Mike Spann)

Edited by feiercrack

DCS: Black Shark 1 orig. DVD, Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, Combined Arms, A-10C, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy, WWII Assets Pack

RiG: i7 7700k@5GHz watercooled, 16GB DDR@4133MHz, Asus Maximus IX Apex, 2x 240GB M.2 SSDs @ RAID0, Asus ROG Strix 1070OC 8GB @1950MHz, 34" Asus Curved UWQHD 100Hz, 24"Samsung TFT, HTC Vive, 2x8" LCDs@TM CougarMFDs, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek PCDash2, Belkin N52te Nostromo, Logitech G900, G910 + G933 Snow, TrackIR5

CS: Hawkeye

Exactly! That's why, no wonder how much it takes I want to wait to see the whole Afghanistan available in the detailed area. I'm sure everyone would enjoy having it complete rather than tared apart.

Even if this would become the most expensive map to buy, I'm all forward for having it 100% covered within the detailed zone.

It´s not a matter of size in square miles or Km, , but of desntity of objects, roads, airbases, etc... There is a physical limit to how many objects and data you can place in a map and still be playeable...

You migh get the whole of Afghanistan in a map but it would require 128 Gb of Ram to run it making it inpractical to run.. much less sell... or just crahing DCS when you load it...

• 1 month later...

Nothing more, than the fact that map objects/houses on the Persian Gulf map are named "Afghan House" etc.

Though I deeply hope it is just on hold, for the new Marianas map, which shall showcase the new terrain engine features

I still would love(!) to have an Afghanistan map, given the option to have both the Russian and US conflicts running in their real world environment.

I mean there is so much stories and information out about it. So many opportunities to recreate tense situations, especially since we have neutral faction back in DCS.

• Like 1

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 1 year later...

I think modeling the major Air bases would be a waste of resources, smaller bases and farps were the real staging areas for many of the operations. afghanistan is a map made for the apache so i think featuring on the regions where apache operated most is truly the priority in terms of terrain selection

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 7:20 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

The Afganistán appears some years ago as a plan on a newsletter by ED, but actually has none confirmed the develop by ED or a 3rd party.

Enviado desde mi RNE-L21 mediante Tapatalk

... Is this confirmation from the DCS ground Crew then that afghantistan is no longer (or never was) on the development roadmap?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, a subtle hint... At least it seems like. (end of the 2022 and beyond video).

Screenshot_20211225-015402.png

• Like 3

Shagrat

Very ready for an Afghanistan map, though I do hope it encompasses almost the entire country and stretches down to the ocean for Strike Ops from a carrier (like in the image below). And for anyone that thinks the coords are about a C-130…. Seriously… there are tons of aircraft on the ramp at Bagram, and the coords are that of the old runway not a parked aircraft on an apron, additionally it heavily depends on what map service you use as they all have different satellite layers, but the coordinates always point back to Bagram. I think it’s pretty clear what they’re about.

B5ADFA27-3B5B-459D-9F98-DA237131DB1A.jpeg

Edited by FoxOne007
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 12/26/2021 at 4:26 AM, FoxOne007 said:

Very ready for an Afghanistan map, though I do hope it encompasses almost the entire country and stretches down to the ocean for Strike Ops from a carrier (like in the image below). And for anyone that thinks the coords are about a C-130…. Seriously… there are tons of aircraft on the ramp at Bagram, and the coords are that of the old runway not a parked aircraft on an apron, additionally it heavily depends on what map service you use as they all have different satellite layers, but the coordinates always point back to Bagram. I think it’s pretty clear what they’re about.

B5ADFA27-3B5B-459D-9F98-DA237131DB1A.jpeg

I’d love to see those boundaries to the map, but that would be huge. It’s 1200km from Kabul to the gulf, by comparison the PG map is 800km from the eastern portion of the detailed area (tip of Oman) to Kuwait, and Kuwait is not even included in the detailed area. There’s only about 500km of detail in PG, and that’s the largest map so far.

I do think it’s possible, and would hope to see, a detailed area from the Kabul area (maybe up to the Hindu Kush) to Kandahar, ending maybe at the Registan desert in the south. It could then be a low detail area down to the coast to allow for those missions off the boat.

Better be proficient with AAR though, that’ll be a long flight!

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2