Please explain ATA.

Pruciak

1,0 ATA = 1,01325 bara or 29,92"Hg (absolute)

Soviet/Russia uses mmHg (also called Torr) where 1,0 ATA equals 760 mmHg

ATA and Bara is absolute pressure

ATG and Barg is gauge pressure

Todays standard pressure unit is Pa where mBar and hPa gives the same values i.e 1013,25 mBar = 1013,25 hPa.

Since we talk Manifold pressure, this pressure is then AFTER the Supercharger.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

I think 1 ata refers to 1kg/cm2 (kilogram of force per square centimeter) pressure unit from metric system old one before Pa.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• ED Team

As altitude increases, the boost pressure (intake air pressure above outside atmosphere) must increase to maintain the same total, or absolute, intake manifold pressure because the outside atmospheric pressure drops with altitude. The supercharger absorbs more engine power to develop this higher pressure ratio, which is why engine power drops off as altitude increases, even though the manifold absolute pressure (ATA) stays about the same.

This is absolutely correct referring only to to DB-60X engines with variable speed supercharger.

The plain supercharged engine with constant speed (or 2 or 3 speeds) at altitudes lower than critical has useless high pressure and excessive temperature after the blower, and the excessive pressure is throttled.

And there is a third way not to waist supercharger work with a throttle: constant speed (or 2-3 speed) supercharger with special vanes to control blower pressure ratio (Soviet AM-35 type engines, Jumo-213).

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I think there is a 4th way. Turbocharger. And it looks like far better solution to any mechanical driven supercharger.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

ATA and Kg/cm2 are not the same.

Kg/cm2 is normally used as a gauge measurement (relative and NOT absolute), but I think You could say Kg/cm2 abs.

Kg/cm2 is not used today, and the time where it was used, it was more common to use Kg/cm2 for positive pressure and Torr for negative (vacuum).

Low pressure where often measured in mmH2O, mmHg, InH2O or InHg, but today Pa, hPa, KPa and MPa is the standard, but mBar and Bar together with PSI are also widely used.

1,0 ATA equals 1,03323 Kg/cm2 absolute and equals 1,01325 Bara

1,0 bar equals 1,0197 Kg/cm2

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

ATA and Kg/cm2 are not the same.

Kg/cm2 is normally used as a gauge measurement (relative and NOT absolute), but I think You could say Kg/cm2 abs.

Kg/cm2 is not used today, and the time where it was used, it was more common to use Kg/cm2 for positive pressure and Torr for negative (vacuum).

Low pressure where often measured in mmH2O, mmHg, InH2O or InHg, but today Pa, hPa, KPa and MPa is the standard, but mBar and Bar together with PSI are also widely used.

1,0 ATA equals 1,03323 Kg/cm2 absolute and equals 1,01325 Bara

1,0 bar equals 1,0197 Kg/cm2

I think this is way to precisecomplicated.

Why not 1 ata = 1kg/cm2 that would be way much easier.

• ED Team
I think there is a 4th way. Turbocharger. And it looks like far better solution to any mechanical driven supercharger.

I meant three ways of no waisting. :)

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I think this is way to precisecomplicated.

Why not 1 ata = 1kg/cm2 that would be way much easier.

It was not meant to overcomplicate things.

But we shouldn´t mix apple and pears.

The OP asked what ATA is and ATA is not Kg/cm2.

But Your right - they are close. Bara, which is a better known unit, is even closer.

Edited by fjacobsen

It was not meant to overcomplicate things.

But we shouldn´t mix apple and pears.

The OP asked what ATA is and ATA is not Kg/cm2.

But Your right - they are close. Bara, which is a better known unit, is even closer.

808CDQR.png

ATA is 1kg/cm2

• ED Team
I think all warbirds used absolute MP gauges, only British + their colonies called them boost gauges but not 100% sure.

Japan used cm of mercury same as Russia iirc.

What about, France,Spain,Italy planes what units were used there?

Japaneeze system was a hybrid - as Russian system operates with absolute mmHg, Japaneeze used 76 cm as zero and thus had +- boost values like English.

Japaneeze system was a hybrid - as Russian system operates with absolute mmHg, Japaneeze used 76 cm as zero and thus had +- boost values like English.

Good to know

Depends on what you consider better. It has to have an exhaust turbine that runs very hot, and it has to reach very high speeds. So, it's a much more finicky and expensive piece of equipment. It's only major advantage is it doesn't absorb crankshaft power--so it performs better at high altitude.

The shaft driven blower was reliable and straightforward, and served well up to the end of the war, though.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I am seeing the terms mass and force being mixed up, as well as the difference between quantities and units.

"ata" is a German abbreviation which stands for "Atmosphäre, absolute".

It is a quantity (not unit) describing absolute pressure (= force per unit area). Note, pressure is force (not mass) per unit area.

In comparison, the "atü" ("Atmosphäre, über") is a quantity describing relative pressure compared to, for example, the surrounding amosphere.

The "at" (Atmosphäre) is a unit (not quantity) of pressure. It is currently defined as 9.80665 N/cm�² = 0.980665 bar.

However, the original definition of "at" (at, not ata) was 1 at = 10 mWS (mWS = Meter Wassersäule). In other words, it the absolute pressure of a 10-metre column of water. Technically, it is 10 mWS is 1 kp (kilopond) per square centimetre.

Whenever someone uses kg/cm�² to describe pressure, it is not technically correct (as it is using mass per area, not force per area). It is based on the assumption that 1kg = 9.8N, which might be true at rest on the Earth's surface, but would not apply, for example, on the Lunar surface.

The unit "at" (and thus quantity, "ata") was deprecated in Germany from 1978 in favour of the strict SI unit, namely, Pa (Pascal) = N/m�².

Ref: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druck_(Physik)

Sorry for being a pedanticist.

No body is missing anything here. This is how pressure unit looked back in old times.

1ATA = 1kg/cm2= 1kgf/cm2

It does not matter what unit is it. Pressure sensor is not based on earth gravity, it wont affect pressure reading.

Edited by grafspee

No body is missing anything here. This is how pressure unit looked back in old times.

1ATA = 1kg/cm2= 1kgf/cm2

It does not matter what unit is it.

The "old times" German unit was 1at = 10 mWS (REF1, REF2). That is a unit of pressure. Dimensionally (REF3), this is F.L-2 = M.L-1.T2.

1kg/cm2, dimensionally, is M.L-2. This is not the same as M.L-1.T2. I concede that it is commonly used incorrectly.

Pressure sensor is not based on earth gravity, it wont affect pressure reading.

I agree with you completely on this point.