F14 Skinners thread (Paintkit in 1st post)

David A Sell

Where can I find the TEXT layer for pilot/rio aircrew names in the vfa103 low vis texture? I see there is a TEXT layer for the high vis... but nothing for the low vis. Am I missing something?

Those are unfortunately not a text layer on this livery.

They are on the Dark layer, and you can erase them then insert your own text.

Will fix this for later paint kit versions to make it easier to edit names.

Sorry about that.

Hi everyone, someone know how can i put dinamic bort numbers in the Tomcat?

This hasn't been modelled yet. F-14 squadrons used a wide variety of fonts, positioning, and sizes for their modex numbers and HB is still figuring out how to model it efficiently. Best thing to do for now is create a skin for every number.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

Amazing work with the template, guys, thanks a lot!!...just a little thing...the RoughMet map and the Normal map for the TCS doesn't seem to be working at all...tested in the default skins and after messing a bit with custom LUAs...nope. It looks flat. Could you guys check this.

1555807078-screen-190421-023719.png

Also, in the LOD_3in1 file, looks like there is one helmet missing (not sure if the pilot one or the RIO one, but there is only 1 helmet...is there any way to include both in the case they are different for the LOD file?

Thanks!!

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

Amazing work with the template, guys, thanks a lot!!...just a little thing...the RoughMet map and the Normal map for the TCS doesn't seem to be working at all...tested in the default skins and after messing a bit with custom LUAs...nope. It looks flat. Could you guys check this.

1555807078-screen-190421-023719.png

Also, in the LOD_3in1 file, looks like there is one helmet missing (not sure if the pilot one or the RIO one, but there is only 1 helmet...is there any way to include both in the case they are different for the LOD file?

Thanks!!

Not sure what is going with your roughmaps and such. Mine look fine.

It doesn't look like it's reading your roughmap texture in that screenshot.

3uFS8EQ.png

The 3in1 is missing the RIO helmet currently. It's on our list of things.

Edited by ensamvarg

Is the ED Model Viewer not working for anyone else? When I try to launch the .bat file nothing happens since the recent update.

Also, how should we set up the description.lua? Tried a skin a tested it in game but it defaults to a random skin. Using one of the other .lau files from one of the other skins to start and replaced all the .dds files with my own. What did I forget to do?

livery = {

--Diffuse -----------------------------------

{"HB_F14_EXT_01", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_01",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_02", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_02",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_03", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_03",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_04", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_04",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_TAIL", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_TAIL",false};

{"HB_F14_WING_LEFT_01", 0 ,"HB_F14_WING_LEFT",false};

{"HB_F14_WING_RIGHT", 0 ,"HB_F14_WING_RIGHT",false};

{"HB_F14_LOD1_3in1", 0 ,"HB_F14_LOD1_3in1",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_PILOT_HELMET", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_PILOT_HELMET",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_RIO_HELMET", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_PILOT_HELMET",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_PILOT_SUIT", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_PILOT_SUIT",false};

}

name = "Razgriz 016 Blaze (All Black)

--countries = {"USA", "RUS", "FRA", "UKR", "SPN", "NETH", "TUR", "BEL", "GER", "NOR", "CAN", "DEN", "UK", "GRG", "ISR", "ABH", "RSO"}

Edited by Flogger23m

Is the ED Model Viewer not working for anyone else? When I try to launch the .bat file nothing happens since the recent update.

Also, how should we set up the description.lua? Tried a skin a tested it in game but it defaults to a random skin. Using one of the other .lau files from one of the other skins to start and replaced all the .dds files with my own. What did I forget to do?

Modelviewer works for me. No need for the bat file to use the one that comes with the game install anymore.

Also, you're missing a " after the name of your livery.

Go to C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin and run Modelviewer2.exe.

This assumes you have it installed on your C: drive.

Thanks!

How would I go about fixing this LOD issue? Skin changes when zoomed out to a default gray looking color.

Up close:

p4sk4Xr.jpg

At distance:

mRmor9f.jpg

Thanks!

How would I go about fixing this LOD issue? Skin changes when zoomed out to a default gray looking color.

Up close:

p4sk4Xr.jpg

At distance:

mRmor9f.jpg

You need to take your livery dds files, scale them down to 512x512 and put them in the appropriate slot in the LOD_3in1 dds file inside your livery folder.

kSMMxO3.png

Can you post a screenshot of the missing things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I misplaced a layer or something. Only the right outer tail has the stiffener and rivet details. The right inner and left are missing it completely. I had to copy the stiffener. I can't seem to find the layer these details belong to even on the original.

Thanks.

rivets1.thumb.jpg.5580408c4d94245ca4456030118f3d51.jpg

rivets2.thumb.jpg.38162eaa0dc7464d09ee6ee0955a8d47.jpg

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

You need to take your livery dds files, scale them down to 512x512 and put them in the appropriate slot in the LOD_3in1 dds file inside your livery folder.

kSMMxO3.png

So we would use the compressed .dds files scaled down and not an editable .PSD?

And to get the pylons .dds to show, do I need to ass this to my .lau:

{"HB_F14_EXT_PHOENIXPYLONS", 0 ,"HB_F14_WING_RIGHT",false};

That isn't working for me, so I must have entered something wrong.

Maybe I misplaced a layer or something. Only the right outer tail has the stiffener and rivet details. The right inner and left are missing it completely. I had to copy the stiffener. I can't seem to find the layer these details belong to even on the original.

Thanks.

They are part of the Do Not Touch - Base group which it looks like you flattened?

The Fin_Outer group to be more precise.

You also really want to keep your layers inside the Liveries folder to make sure all masks and layer effects stay intact.

nfFGYCs.png

So we would use the compressed .dds files scaled down and not an editable .PSD?

And to get the pylons .dds to show, do I need to ass this to my .lau:

{"HB_F14_EXT_PHOENIXPYLONS", 0 ,"HB_F14_WING_RIGHT",false};

That isn't working for me, so I must have entered something wrong.

You can do either the dds you saved out into your Liveries folder (which is what I do to minimize accidentally activating other layers) or use the flatten the PSD (Do not recommend).

The important piece is to open it, scale down to 512x512, Ctrl A to select all then paste it in to the LOD_3in1 dds and move it to the appropriate section.

Couple of issues with your lua.

Your lua entry you posted is telling DCS that you want the Phoenix Pylons to have the right wing texture. But it's also calling the wrong name for the model.

The first entry in the line is the model name. You do not change that.

The second one needs to match your file name of the texture you want to use and that resides in your livery folder.

These are the names you need to use for the model.

{"HB_F14_EXT_01", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_01",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_02", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_02",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_03", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_03",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_04", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_04",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_TAIL", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_TAIL",false};

{"HB_F14_WING_LEFT_01", 0 ,"HB_F14_WING_LEFT",false};

{"HB_F14_WING_RIGHT", 0 ,"HB_F14_WING_RIGHT",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_PILOT_HELMET", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_PILOT_HELMET",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_RIO_HELMET", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_RIO_HELMET",false};

{"HB_F14_TCS", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_TCS",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_PHOENIXRAILS", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_PHOENIXPYLONS",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_PYLONS", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_PYLONS_01",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_DROPTANKS", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_DROPTANK",false};

{"HB_F14_LOD1_3in1", 0 ,"HB_F14_LOD1_3in1",false};

{"HB_F14_EXT_PILOT_SUIT", 0 ,"HB_F14_EXT_PILOT_SUIT",false};

Not sure what is going with your roughmaps and such. Mine look fine.

It doesn't look like it's reading your roughmap texture in that screenshot.

3uFS8EQ.png

The 3in1 is missing the RIO helmet currently. It's on our list of things.

Thanks a lot for the amazingly fast response!!:)

About the issue, Im sorry, but are you sure it is working for you??...in that screen it is very hard to judge if the normal and roughmet is working but even then, i would say it is not...tried a repair and it still not working but did a different thing...looked for other screens to see if the TCS textures work correctly and interestingly found that it is not working for anyone but even the official screens have this issue:

2019-03-12-F-14-03.jpg

2019-03-12-F-14-07.jpg

As you can see, the roughmet for hte TCS is not working either as the red light should have a very reflective material according to the roughmet map green channel which is clearly not working. Only the diffuse is working correctly (already tested)

The normal map is also NOT working.

I made a repair and still not working.

Anyway, after looking at the files name, I found the solution...the issue is the file's name, which is incorrect for the roughmet...the official name is "HB_F14_TCS_RoughMet" instead of "HB_F14_EXT_TCS_RoughMet" and thus the roughmet won't work...I think this is the first time ever the TCS has looked correctly.

Here it is after a few changes I made (not the official one but as you can see it works and looks great):

1555849549-screen-190421-142445.png

1555849549-screen-190421-141851.png

1555849548-screen-190421-142159.png

1555850358-screen-190421-143740.png

1555850400-screen-190421-143703.png

the other side with the light on (look at the crstal surface):

1555850844-screen-190421-144657.png

1555850844-screen-190421-144711.png

so definitely now it is working...I guess this could be considered as a "bug"...hope it helps :thumbup:

EDIT: After some more test, Normal map still not working...just deleted it and nothing changed. After trying extremely tangent light still no volume effect so its not working and the name is correct...maybe it is not binded correctly in 3DS??...at least the roughmet map is working now but would be great to also have the nice normal map...

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

[ATTACH]209065[/ATTACH]

They are part of the Do Not Touch - Base group which it looks like you flattened?

The Fin_Outer group to be more precise.

You also really want to keep your layers inside the Liveries folder to make sure all masks and layer effects stay intact.

This is the unaltered original as I see it when opened. Try as I might, I cannot find the Fin_outer group.

I also get this error message when I open it.

rivets2.thumb.jpg.e1e4981069750efee5b0157570f3934f.jpg

err1.jpg.14dfc7d98353000e24b0a09e5aad6f63.jpg

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png