Strange glare baked into view

Nealius

Check out the left side of this screenshot. You'll see a big gold glare in the far left, with a smaller glare next to it. It does not move with changes in sunlight direction. It is constantly stuck in that spot as I look around. So when I look forward and down, those glare spots end up covering my left DDI and such.

I don't know if it's a VR issue, Hornet issue, global issue, or what.

dlRBrT7.png

I narrowed it to VR and multiplayer missions where the client joins while the mission is paused. It does not occur at all in single player. It does not occur in non-VR. I do not use any shaders mods.

Join server while mission paused:

UdvLgvH.png

Join while mission is live:

u0fXuGP.png

And a particularly bad example in-flight:

U03jhgg.png

I’m not seeing this.

I’m sure you’ve tried this but it’s worth asking. DCS Repair + Delete Fxo and Metashaders2 from the saved games folder?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• ED Team

can not reproduce sorry.

please remove all unofficial mods ( if any )

run a cleanup and repair ( or verify for steam users )

rename your dcs folder in saved games, keep it as a backup

restart dcs login and test.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I'm also getting this issue, but it seems to pull the "ghost reflection" from the VR hangar, so the "glare" changes to a shadow of whatever I was last looking at in the F10 map, server browser, etc.

It only occurs on multiplayer, and I can't seem to disable any graphics settings and remove it...

Same/similar problem that has been greatly amplified since the lighting changes in Jun 3rd update. Has nothing to do with server being paused. Dont know about SP vs MP but it happens every time I load into our running MP server and is extremely bad at night. Smudges also appear on nvg's and can sometimes cover up to 1/4 of the nvgs with bright smudges making them unusable. Changing aircraft changes the size an shapes of the smudges. I posted about it in VR bugs subsection of DCS world 2.5. Definetly a texture map of some sort as you can can some times see pinching of the mapping at polar points and in VR when its really bad you can clearly see it as a bubble surrounding your viewpoint. Its like some sort of noise map gone total haywire.

Have also noticed the glare during daytime but at night the issue seems much more extreme. Seems to only be a problem during day maybe 1 out of 10 planes I load but at night it seems to be there to some extent constantly, again largly effected by the gamma setting.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=276474

Edited by Talonx1

+1 The issue is very apparent at night. It's like having dirty glasses but in 3d and is very disorienting. You can mitigate by decreasing gamma but then can't see other stuff.

Ryzen 5950x PBO | MSI RTX 3090 | 32gb 3600 RAM | 2 x SSD | Quest 3 | TM Warthog

I discovered the cause is the VR menu/F10 map.

Seen here, up to immediately before accessing the F10 map:

TyB9qCE.png

Now in the F10 map, you can see the VR menu and the sunset to my left, reflecting off the Tomcat vert stabs:

EE86wyo.png

Now back in the cockpit, the reflected sunlight off the Tomcat vert stabs is now baked into my view:

pRskww0.png

I discovered the cause is the VR menu/F10 map.

Seen here, up to immediately before accessing the F10 map:

Now in the F10 map, you can see the VR menu and the sunset to my left, reflecting off the Tomcat vert stabs:

Now back in the cockpit, the reflected sunlight off the Tomcat vert stabs is now baked into my view:

Interesting, was wondering if it was actually coming from something. Have to say though that I dont have to open the map for it to show up. Its often there as soon as I get in the cockpit. As for someones report about it being there when aircraft is set to client vs player, thats likely not accurate. Sometimes its there amd sometimes it isnt. You would need a large sample size to confirm. Log in 20 times as client and 20 times a player and see if it holds true 100% of the time. If so then it "may" be related if not then its disproven.

Edited by Talonx1

I've sometimes had it occur from mission start as well. I'd be curious to test if it happens only if I enter the game/exit F10 map view while looking towards the sunlight/reflections. If I look the opposite direction it might not show up.

For the moment I've abandoned my custom VR "hangar" and gone back to the default to try and mitigate the issue.

For the moment I've abandoned my custom VR "hangar" and gone back to the default to try and mitigate the issue.

So when you said you'd removed all your mods... you didn't mean ALL of them then ;)

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

So when you said you'd removed all your mods... you didn't mean ALL of them then ;)

Nor is it the cause. The effect happens w zero mods. His customized hanger just made it more apparent as to the cause because you could clearly id the vertical stabs.

VR hangar isn't a mod.

How so? Does it not modify the default files?

I agree its not the cause, but when asked to remove all mods I take that to mean ANYTHING that changes the sim from a fresh install. VR Hangar is included in that. Anyway, at least you've figured out what was causing it.

Proud owner of:

So replacing the default Su-27 in the VR hangar to another airplane is a mod that needs to be removed? I call bullshit on that. Even in the default hanger if you look at a certain angle it will cause this same glare, just in a different shape/intensity.

And I haven't found the cause. The cause is some issue with the code that allows the glare to occur in the first place, but ED doesn't seem to care.

Edited by Nealius

So replacing the default Su-27 in the VR hangar to another airplane is a mod that needs to be removed? I call bullshit on that. Even in the default hanger if you look at a certain angle it will cause this same glare, just in a different shape/intensity.

And I haven't found the cause. The cause is some issue with the code that allows the glare to occur in the first place, but ED doesn't seem to care.

It’s a mod. It changes the default config of the sim, when asked to remove mods when trying to get to the bottom of bugs it means everything, regardless of where or how it changes the sim. If you had removed all your mods originally you would have figured out the problem more quickly. Just something to remember when bug reporting/testing in the future, if you run into a bug remove ALL your mods and see if it still there. Then start putting them back one by one. This is a pet peeve of mine because a number times I’ve tested bugs and issues that people have had only to find it was a mod they didn’t remove because they thought it wasn’t relevant. It wastes their own time and it wastes mine and other peoples time trying to replicate it and track it down.

Edited by Deano87
  • Like 1

Proud owner of:

And how does it make a difference when that "mod" DID NOT CAUSE THE PROBLEM? The same bug still happens without that "mod?" You're failing to realize the altered VR screen, which by the way uses all the same models and code as the vanilla sim and would be the same if ED made it themselves and thus is not a mod, only allows the problem to be more easily seen.

Or maybe you don't care and just enjoy being a critical pedant.

Edited by Nealius

And how does it make a difference when that "mod" DID NOT CAUSE THE PROBLEM? The same bug still happens without that "mod?"

You're just content with throwing the customer under the bus in blind support of ED.

I never said that mod did cause the problem. But now you know what the problem is. You'd have found out sooner if you'd removed all your mods. I'm just giving you advice for the future when you run into bugs that you want to report. All mods means ALL mods... Also I spend a fair amount of my time reproducing and reporting bugs, and helping other customers with issues but yeah, thanks for the analysis of my behavioir.

Proud owner of: