THE NOSE WHEEL BUG.......

honey151

• 2 weeks later...
.......... It's like once the wheel is skidding, it's basically riding on ice.

Which is basically what it would feel like. A sliding rubber has a far lesser friction coefficient than a rolling tyre with roll-friction.

There is a reason why any modern car for 10+ years have to have Anti-Locking-Brakes.

It's not only that you can maybe steer around an obstacle while applying hard brakes,

it is also very good for letting you stop at Meter 34 instead of Meter 46 or 52. My "old" Harley was Meter 52 from 60-0, a Standard Audi will do the same in 32 Meters, now guess how fast you hit that trunk when the Audi stops and you have 20M to go AUA OUCH AUA !!!

Anyway, I say if it is real, try to overcome this by either going FULL AB at take-off or apply brakes

and chute when possible to slow down beneath that critical speed when oscillation happens.

While it happens when you pass that red zone, grab ya balls and hold on, Ride The Walkyre.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have this problem too. On landing, I cannot avoid the oscillations. I don't get them on takeoff.

I don't think this is intended or realistic behaviour because:

1. The real life Mig 21 bis manual does not mention it.

2. It happens in pretty much every configuration I've flown the aircraft.

3. There don't appear to be any measures that can be taken to avoid.

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit | i7-4790K@4GHz | 8GB RAM | GTX970 347.52

I dont know if its a bug but its not difficult to deal with! I pull the joystick back at 200 kph and release at 250 and thats it.

Its another thing if you try to land it... many flat on the front Wheel!

Prend ton temps mais fait ca vite :cold:... LG34''21:9 Asus 23''monitors Intel i7-4590 EVGA 1070 Superclocked Gskills 4x4G RAM Fatal1ty AsRock Z97 killer motherboard in a HAF black box with 4 CH products plug in and logitech G510, F310, M510 and M570 plus trackIR 5!

Bought the module sunday and practiced a few hours with it already and I didn't see that as an issue, it does have a tendency to go to the left side on landings, but it didn't cross my mind that this is would be an issue related to the simulation until I saw this thread, I thought it was just something that happened, that I reacted to and then I moved on.

I guess that if this doesn't happen in the real one, Novak Djordjiejvic obviously knows about it and will do something to correct that, IF it is indeed something that doesn't happen in the real 21.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I ran into this for the first time yesterday after practicing intercepts. I had an unbalanced load on the aircraft. 1 R-3R missile left under my left wing. I figured it was part of the simulation and maybe my own fault for not using the drag chute to slow down. (I had a resonable landing and figured I could come to a stop with only wheel breaks. Was curious to see what would happen.)

Whas kind of suprised this happened to be honest. I managed to stop it from getting out of hand by using pump break action (or how do you call it when you breack, let go, break and let go again?) I don't think I did any damage to plane, but I was a bit suprised and curious.

So, obviously, I did what all sensable people would do. Get up again and see if I could cause it to happen again. Only thing I did different was balance the load on the Mig. So, I added an R-3R rocket on the right wing.

Flew a simulair pattern. Landing was a bit rougher then the previous one, but again I had more then enough runway so, breaks only, no chute. And again it happened as I was full on the breaks (selector pointing to the right of the cockpit). Again I used the same pumping break action to prevent damage to the nose wheel.

Since these where the only two landings I ever did without useing the drag chute I figured it was the Mig's natural behaviour in those situations.

• 5 years later...

I'll take a liberty of necroing this thread, because it seems last OB patch brought the shimmy-bug back.

With external 3D model of the front tyre being permanently, partially "sunk" in the tarmac, some issues were expected, and indeed, starting with the strange behaviour of the wheel during very low speed taxing and turning (it's sometimes getting difficult to align and wants to go left or right all the time), I've noticed yesterday the very same shimmy-behaviour during landing rollout as presented on the video on page two.

I guess it's just an unwanted side-effect of WIP tweaks mentioned in the latest spring update, but still, it needs to be looked at.

I saved a track, but it's a bit long - will check later if the bug can be reproduced during simple high-speed taxing tests.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I posted the art issue to bugtracker, but I haven't noticed the shimmy issue. But, I've not flown it much, yet. I'll prioritize flying the MiG to try and help verify.

Screen_200521_015024.thumb.png.c02caaf2cdd8bd52bff8521f86d569d9.png

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I have observed this issue on the day of launch, I suspect its somehow related to new suspension model. In any event, i have forwarded it to devs to solve it as soon as possible.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

• 2 weeks later...

Fast forward to 11:30 to see nose wheel shimmy. I think DCS is simulating shimmy naturally, but the simulation is not capable of doing so with complete fidelity. I would imagine this is a very complex phenomenon that doesnt lend itself well high fidelity simulation, unless it was a purpose built software. The frequency in real life would get much higher before it would develop to the amplitude seen in the dcs mig21. A shredded tire would be the least of ones concerns if it swung out this far, lol