Throttle finger lift

I haven't messed w/ the idle part but have w/ the after burner on my TM Warthog throttle. First I filed the edge of the plastic stop to transform the stop into a notch that I can feel but can push through w/o actually lifting the throttles.

49757071687_86af06120c_z.jpgAB throttle detent by craig stuard, on Flickr

Then I went to the 'free flight' F2 view and positioned myself right behind the plane so I can see the color of the exhaust. It turns bright red/orange when AB starts so I wanted that to happen when the throttle is moved beyond the notch. Turns out that in the 'Thrust Left' and 'Thrust Right' "Axis Tune' changing the curvature to 8 or 9 and leaving the 'Saturation X' and 'Saturation Y' at 100 makes the throttle start AB just past the notch. I had curvature at 10 for a while but found out that coming out of AB by moving the levers back to the notch had the left engine just slightly red/orange.

• 11 months later...
On 5/8/2020 at 7:38 PM, ShuRugal said:

i want the opposite - i want AB to not engage in flight without detent. too easy to punch by accident

There's a keybind to turn the AB detent on/off - "Cycle Afterburner Detent - ON/OFF".

But using the Finger Lifts to go past the AB detent once seems to disable it forever until you use that keybind to enable it again - seems bugged as of 2.7.

On 5/30/2018 at 4:37 PM, Wags said:

Yes, that is what I do.

Also using the Finger Lifts to move between IDLE/OFF isn't working - the dedicated Throttle Left/Right IDLE/OFF/IDLE keybinds are working fine, and I can see the throttle lifts being automatically lifted as the throttles move when I press those.

The Finger Lifts animate in the cockpit, and I'm moving the throttle to cutoff and forward repeatedly, but the throttles don't go to IDLE / OFF as expected.

In the picture, the lifts are up, but left throttle won't go to IDLE nor right will shut down when I zero the throttle.

image.png

• 1 year later...
Am 30.5.2018 um 21:38 schrieb Solid84:

In a normal flight i shouln't use ground idle in flight, if i understood correctly.

During a flight i should use flight idle position, right?

Ground idle position is for ground operation only, right?

You do not have the power to decide between ground idle and flight idle. The aircraft „knows“ if it is on the ground or in the air and sets the idle rpm accordingly. All you can do is pulling the throttle back to the idle position…

and what is it with you people and the obsession with afterburner fingerlifts? This is just a safety feature in the real aircraft to prevent accidential AB-selection on the ground.

is there no noticable „detent“ on the warthog throttle for the AB position?

• Like 1

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

On 9/9/2022 at 12:20 PM, Phantom711 said:

You do not have the power to decide between ground idle and flight idle. The aircraft „knows“ if it is on the ground or in the air and sets the idle rpm accordingly. All you can do is pulling the throttle back to the idle position…

The throttle simply can't be moved to the (ground) idle position due to a physical stop which is activated by the weight on wheels sensor. It's not a case of software or systems adjusting the idle RPM.

Edited by Brun
  • Like 1

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

vor einer Stunde schrieb Brun:

The throttle simply can't be moved to the (ground) idle position due to a physical stop which is activated by the weight on wheels sensor. It's not a case of software or systems adjusting the idle RPM.

My bad…you are right.

How is this being simulated in DCS actually?

• Like 1

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

Obviously DCS can't stop your physical throttle moving, but when airborne the lowest part of the axis effectively becomes a deadzone. Easily seen if you keep an eye on the controls indicator. It's actually been a source of confusion, because when in the air it may appear the throttle isn't mapped correctly.

One issue with the sim is if you land with the physical throttle at idle*, which isn't possible in reality. You might expect the sim throttle to snap back to ground idle as soon as there's WoW but that doesn't happen. The throttle will remain at flight idle and only updates when the levers are moved slightly.

*This shouldn't heppen when landing as the Hornet does in real life, even at an airfield.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals