HELP: Open Beta keeps crashing to desktop

XAiracobraX

Since the last hotfix patch my open beta DCS keeps crashing to desktop during missions. Currently have been playing the BNBOP campaign. it has crashed 6 times out of 6.

I don't have any mods installed.

I tried putting all the settings to low, that didn't work. I tried updating to the newest nvidia driver, restarted, then redid the crash troubleshoot BIGNEWY linked where I renamed the DCS.openbeta folder in the Saved Games directory, ran the repair DCS tool, restarted computer, started the game, then closed the game and copied over the input folder and the logbook file to the newly created DCS.openbeta directory. Even after doing that the game still crashed today.

I attached to crash, dcs, and dump log files in attached zip file..

Running windows 7, have a 32 GB page file

Please, help me get DCS working again.

dcsCrashLogs_Win7_OB.zip

Edited by XAiracobraX
Re-uploaded files as zip

Intel i7-10700k, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080 8GB, 1TB NVMe SSD, LG32GK850G 2560x1440 Monitor, Noctua u12a cooler

I'm getting crashes out the wazoo now too. With all the great new refinements and improvements to the new version, they seem to have forgotten to fix the crashing.

That sucks since DCS is better than ever now and I wanna fly it :)

It mostly seems to affect missions with moving ground units that engage each other. My huge furball missions with 30+ planes in the air run really well.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

It crashes for me during crossing the channel in missions with a lot of wwii air to air like mission 3 and 4 of the blue nosed b@$trds over bodney campaign. It has crashed circling the airfield waiting for wingmen to form up, also crashed when just over the channel on the way to target, or it has crashed just over channel on way back, or it has crashed when circling around the airfield getting ready to land at end of mission. I first asked for help in the campaign dlc forum, but Reflected says its not a problem with the campaign and to post logs so I posted here.

Intel i7-10700k, 32GB DDR4, GTX 1080 8GB, 1TB NVMe SSD, LG32GK850G 2560x1440 Monitor, Noctua u12a cooler

Your reason for the crash is the same as I had this morning.

It's the nvwgf2umx.dll.

My rig is completely different and I reported the same this morning.

My post #5 contains the crash log with the same error:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4358862#post4358862

It's an nvidia module.

We both have the new 446.14 installed which was released 2 days ago, I have a 1080TI.

So either the new driver causes the crash or the new DCS update causes a conflict.

Do you have the GeForce experience installed and/or running?

I guess you flew the P51? I was in the F18.

Edited by Weidlich

Your reason for the crash is the same as I had this morning.

It's the nvwgf2umx.dll.

My rig is completely different and I reported the same this morning.

My post #5 contains the crash log with the same error:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4358862#post4358862

It's an nvidia module.

We both have the new 446.14 installed which was released 2 days ago, I have a 1080TI.

So either the new driver causes the crash or the new DCS update causes a conflict.

Do you have the GeForce experience installed and/or running?

I guess you flew the P51? I was in the F18.

Weidlich, that's what I was thinking. Nothing else is crashing on my system so it must be DCS itself.

It seems to affect missions that have ground units moving and engaging each other. Stationary ground units just sitting there waiting for you to blow them up don't seem to be a problem. If it's the graphics driver, then it only affects DCS, which sucks because I really want to fly *missions* now, not just turkey shooting :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

Ok,

I just removed my graphics driver with DDU and installed version 446.14.

Not only is the performance better, but I was able to fly the F/A-18 1989 CAS mission (Caucasus) for quite a while before being shot down, and DCS didn't crash.

Imma have to use the new driver for a while before I can really tell, but at least it didn't crash this time! Woohoo!

AD

Kit:

When the crashin first started i had an older nvidia driver, i had updated the driver hoping that would fix this but it didn't. What is DDU?

When the crashin first started i had an older nvidia driver, i had updated the driver hoping that would fix this but it didn't. What is DDU?

DDU is Display Driver Uninstaller, a little program that completely scrubs any remnants of your graphics drivers from your machine. A great little tool that you should always use when changing graphics drivers. You reboot your computer to Safe Mode, and run DDU. First remove Nvidia Geforce Experience (if installed), then remove the graphics drivers. Then reboot, and install the new driver. Then set up all your options in the new driver, then reboot again and giver a go!

I'm using 446.14 now, and it's good! Performance is better, and apparently it doesn't crash!

If you haven't got it, download DDU, scrub your driver install, reboot and install the newest Nvidia driver (446.14). It really seems to work! (So far anyway, but I flew that infernal F/A-18 1989 CAS mission without crashing. Well, I *did* crash, but only after taking some AAA rounds to the knee...)

If nothing else, it could improve your FPS.

Peace and happy warfare

AD

Kit:

In hopes of figuring this out, I tried not adjusting (i.e. not turning off) the interior/cockpit lights before takeoff and keeping off the fps counter. I was able to fly 3-4 successful missions. So now I decided to try again turning off the interior lights prior to takeoff and still leaving the fps counter off. With this it has crashed again when flying over the channel. It might be coincidence but seems weird.

dcsCrashLogs2_Win7_OB.zip

In hopes of figuring this out, I tried not adjusting (i.e. not turning off) the interior/cockpit lights before takeoff and keeping off the fps counter. I was able to fly 3-4 successful missions. So now I decided to try again turning off the interior lights prior to takeoff and still leaving the fps counter off. With this it has crashed again when flying over the channel. It might be coincidence but seems weird.

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with that. I seem to have had some luck with DDU and the latest Nvidia driver, 446.14.

Completely scrub your drivers with DDU and install the latest ones. See if it helps. If you're already using 446.14, maybe it has something to do with overclocking? Is your CPU or RAM overclocked?

AD

Kit:

I tried completely uninstalling nividia drivers and experience, restarting machine, and downloading a fresh install of the latest 446.14 nvidia driver. I chose not to install the nvidia experience to take out that variable. After reinstalling driver, I again restarted, then did BIGNEWY troubleshooting guide over again with deleting my saved games folder, running repair, restart computer, run dcs, set graphics settings and controls, allowed dcs to restart, then closed out of dcs, restarted my computer, then tried flying again. It again crashed.

dcs.20200531-204104.zip

I tried completely uninstalling nividia drivers and experience, restarting machine, and downloading a fresh install of the latest 446.14 nvidia driver. I chose not to install the nvidia experience to take out that variable. After reinstalling driver, I again restarted, then did BIGNEWY troubleshooting guide over again with deleting my saved games folder, running repair, restart computer, run dcs, set graphics settings and controls, allowed dcs to restart, then closed out of dcs, restarted my computer, then tried flying again. It again crashed.

I thought I had it going pretty nicely there for a while, got the nice new Supercarrier module, looking forward to some missions... Crashing again.

Whether a mission crashes or not, the log file is chock-full of warnings and errors. I just take it for granted that that's how the sim works, kinda like Windows with its incessant string of DCOM errors. Nothing to get worked up about.

It seems to happen with missions that have ground units that move and engage. Not sure at all if that's the core problem though. Aircraft furballs are no problem, even with tons of planes, but I want to do more than that.

Performance of the sim, framerate-wise, is excellent now, but the constant crashing is unreal. It's a mighty shame that all I can do is 'play' with the sim rather than get into it more, with the F/A-18 module coming full circle.

Man, screw this noise.

AD

Kit:

I tried using DDU to remove drivers, and then restarted, and then installed newest nvidia driver, then restarted, then deleted saved games>dcs open beta folder, ran dcs repair, ran dcs, setup graphics settings, closed dcs, restarted computer, ran dcs, setup controls from scratch, started mission, crashed again flying over channel water or France in Normandy, mission 3, 4, 5, 7 mission of Reflected's blue nosed ba$tards campaign.

It still crashes no matter what I have tried, please help.

I tried using DDU to remove drivers, and then restarted, and then installed newest nvidia driver, then restarted, then deleted saved games>dcs open beta folder, ran dcs repair, ran dcs, setup graphics settings, closed dcs, restarted computer, ran dcs, setup controls from scratch, started mission, crashed again flying over channel water or France in Normandy, mission 3, 4, 5, 7 mission of Reflected's blue nosed ba$tards campaign.

It still crashes no matter what I have tried, please help.

Ok, I tried setting Terrain Shadows to Flat. I normally have them on Default, but someone somewhere mentioned that it can cause GPU crashing. We'll see what happens. This could take a while to sort out.

It's also possible that downclocking my GPU (1080 Ti) might help. I'm running it at over 2000 MHz and maybe that's a little too fast.

The Supercarrier is pretty cool, too bad I keep getting shot down :)

AD

Kit:

All right, I have Terrain Shadows on Flat and I'm running my 1080 Ti at 2000 MHz even, instead of +38 MHz. Not a huge difference in speed, I know.

In the F/A-18, I was able to do a whole bunch of LGB bombing with the targeting pod, and A2A as well, without the sim crashing. So, we'll see. I didn't take off from the Roosevelt carrier this time, but almost made it back before running out of fuel :)

It could be either excessive GPU overclocking, or a problem with Default terrain shadows. Try disabling either one on your system. Performance is a bit better with Flat terrain shadows, anyway.

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey

Kit:

Ok, Flat shadows and removing GPU overclock helped for a while. Then it crashed when I switched to the other F/A-18.

Oh, man...

Maybe it's ok if you never switch aircraft. This sort of thing has happened before, people have mentioned it.

AD

Kit:

I typically only use flat shadows for terrain, so definitely not the solution there. I am convinced that it is something in the new patch hotfix. I have never had DCS crash this frequently before.

I typically only use flat shadows for terrain, so definitely not the solution there. I am convinced that it is something in the new patch hotfix. I have never had DCS crash this frequently before.

I guess we'll just have to wait for the next patch to see if they can iron it out. No reason for it to be this 'crashy'. That's what the SAMs are for :)

AD

Kit:

Does everyone who is crashing own the super carrier module?

I just got it today, not sure if I should have, but oh well.

It crashes with or without it. Seems to be certain missions, ones with lots of ground units engaging. I'm experimenting with down-clocking my graphics card to see if it helps.

AD

Kit:

• ED Team

Hi

Please ensure you have followed my crash advice below.

Overclocks have been known to create issues in DCS so worth trying without for sure.

Are you both on windows 7?

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi

Please ensure you have followed my crash advice below.

Overclocks have been known to create issues in DCS so worth trying without for sure.

Are you both on windows 7?

thanks

Hi Bignewy,

I'm using Windows 10 64-bit. My graphics card (GTX 1080 Ti) is factory overclocked, and causes no problems in anything else. It runs at a default speed of typically around 2000-2038 MHz.

I've downclocked it by 150 MHz just for testing for a while. Even a factory OC is still an OC, and while it certainly shouldn't cause problems, I'm mildly to moderately desperate to sort this out. I'm trying to figure out if it's either the GPU OC or the graphics memory (VRAM) OC that's causing it--if it's causing it at all. The reason why I bought the 1080 Ti is because of it's high performance and having to downclock it kinda sucks, but so be it. I'd rather know for sure.

Is there any reason why DCS World should be intolerant of GPU OC's when nothing else has any problems with it?

Thanks

AD

Kit:

I am using windows 7, I am not running overclock settings, I have tried the troubleshoot guide in your (BIGNEWY) signature have a dozen times with no success. I have bought and installed the super carrier module but haven't tried it yet.