A-8 vs D-9

falk1234

Yeah 9 is higher so it's better but the 109 is 100 more so that's 100 better and that's why P-47 is a downgrade from P-51

well heck, then scr*w the 14, 15, 16, and the 18.... ;):megalol:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

So what sets those plane apart?

Why should I consider purchasing it if I own the D-9?

The 9 is a higher number so it is better?

:helpsmilie:

A-8 have 4 20mm cannons is much more siutable for ground attacks (more a/g weapons)

D-9 is much faster much better fighter

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

A-8 have 4 20mm cannons is much more siutable for ground attacks (more a/g weapons)

D-9 is much faster much better fighter

Any obvious performance differences Aside

how much more A/G weaponry can it really carry? ( types , max weight and quantity wise?) because I thought the F8 was the fighter bomber/attacker variant, and A8 having more limited A/G capability and being more of a fighter/interceptor

and how do cockpit ergonomics compare to the Dora ? ( D9 being lauded as having well placed switches and a precursor to HOTAS), something i appreciated when learning it compared to the 109

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

They're very different beasts. The Anton has a 14-cylinder BMW 801 D-2 radial, with ~1980PS at max emergency boost, versus the V-12 Jumo 213 A of the Dora of ~2100PS. It's heavier, draggier, and less powerful than the Dora, so it should accelerate and climb quite a bit worse. It's also rather sluggish at higher altitudes, unlike the Dora. As it reaches peak power below 6km with a draggier airframe, its top speed is a fair bit lower than the Dora. However, it's an older variant in general so you shouldn't expect it to be better.

It does however have an extra two MG151 cannons in the outer wing, so there is a greater volume of fire. It should also carry a great deal more A/G weaponry, which is probably the role you should employ it in. Roll rate is also better, but turn rate is inferior. Realistically it'll struggle against the P-51 and Spitfire, however a competent pilot will be able to use it well as a fighter at lower altitudes.

TL;DR - Anton is inferior in all but roll and firepower, and A2G capability.

EDIT:

and how do cockpit ergonomics compare to the Dora ? ( D9 being lauded as having well placed switches and a precursor to HOTAS), something i appreciated when learning it compared to the 109

The cockpit is more or less the same, but the radiator control is fully manual.

Edited by Lythronax

I'll try to be clear but not english first language :

The Fw 190 A was a beast in AA and AG. But It was a great plane to fight against other plane between 2000 and 6000 meters. It can fly over 6000 m but his engine was not really good at those altitude (this limit depends for all the A variants but say 7000 m max to fight with the Anton in general).

To have an high altitude Fw 190, luftwaffe ask to study new engine. So we had Fw 190 B and Fw 190 C (prototype) and finally the Fw 190 D wich have an engine that can give good power at higher altitude. But the plane has to be redesign.

They add weight in the tail to compensate the weight and the length of the engine

The D9 can't make hard turn but have a great speed. In addition, his engine can't take as much damage than the A version.

So a big difference is that the A version is a slower version with better armament, better armor and it can make more turn fight with the other plane. The D9 is a high speed fighter that can't make big turn. These are made on the same basis but are two completely different plane because they you do'nt fly them the same way.

You have to know that the A8 is a remotorized version of the Fw 190A wich had more armor. So those late Fw 190 are less capable to turn than the older Fw 190 A such as the A4/A5/A6. I think it can turn easily against Mustang, but not against Spitfire. We will see in some day :pilotfly:

Hope it help :D

They're very different beasts. The Anton has a 14-cylinder BMW 801 D-2 radial, with ~1980PS at max emergency boost, versus the V-12 Jumo 213 A of the Dora of ~2100PS. It's heavier, draggier, and less powerful than the Dora, so it should accelerate and climb quite a bit worse. It's also rather sluggish at higher altitudes, unlike the Dora. As it reaches peak power below 6km with a draggier airframe, its top speed is a fair bit lower than the Dora. However, it's an older variant in general so you shouldn't expect it to be better.

It does however have an extra two MG151 cannons in the outer wing, so there is a greater volume of fire. It should also carry a great deal more A/G weaponry, which is probably the role you should employ it in. Roll rate is also better, but turn rate is inferior. Realistically it'll struggle against the P-51 and Spitfire, however a competent pilot will be able to use it well as a fighter at lower altitudes.

TL;DR - Anton is inferior in all but roll and firepower, and A2G capability.

EDIT:

The cockpit is more or less the same, but the radiator control is fully manual.

we will get 1700hp version with 1.42 ATA

A-8 is much much slower then D-9 like spit vs p-51

unfortunatly we cant use mw50 in d-9 for a sufficinet time to make any difrence so most of the pilots will fly at 1.5ata in d-9 not sure what power engien develop at 1.56ata but i would gues that it will be about 1500-1600hp

right now you can use mw50 for very short time if kept longer engine will overheat.

as far i am aware mw50 in d9 coudl be used for climb which is impossible in dcs, engine will overheat in seconds

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

So what sets those plane apart?

Performance (esp. performance at different altitudes).

Date introduced (A-8 was introduced earlier).

Appearance (short-nose/long-nose).

Armament (guns, bombs, rockets, etc.).

Where it was used historically.

Armour and robustness.

Engine (and hence sound, engine management, etc.)

Why should I consider purchasing it if I own the D-9?

It depends.

For example, you may want a period-correct, July-1944 German fighter to use on the Normandy map?

Perhaps you prefer the aesthetics (sound, appearance, paintschemes) of the A-series over the D-series?

Or maybe ou would prefer to have 2 extra guns over extra speed/performance?

The 9 is a higher number so it is better?

How high the number is does not necessarily equate to better, merely the sequence in that variant that development was started. The FW190 has several series, A, B, C, D, etc. which were developed - some in parallel, and some independently. These have some different technology (such as an engine type, or fuselage configuration) or role. Within the series, then different improvements, hence A-1, A-2, A-3, A-4, etc.. Some of these sequences reach higher numbers depending on how successful they were or how much development was being made.

helpsmilie.gif

In some ways, it could be argued that the A-8 is a step backwards, in which case why get it? But that could be said of nearly every aircraft in DCS... why get it, when you can get the Hornet?

Yes, the A-8/D-9 pair are pretty close, compared to the I-16/F-16 pair. But then, some people appreciate those subtleties.

i dont know if you compare fw 190 d9 to a8 in scale i-16 vs f-16

then A8 and D9 are same as 2 water drops :)

The only reason I would get the A8 is for ground attack. But I don't know if it will come with ground attack setup/loadout. I'm not sure if I would want to try to dogfight in it vs the spit9. May be ok vs P 51D but I suspect a light(low fuel) P51D may be able to out turn it and I think the P 51D is faster.

if it will come with ground attack setup/loadout

As I understand it, it will. And we're getting a dedicated ground attack version (F-8 ) later too.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

As I understand it, it will. And we're getting a dedicated ground attack version (F-8 ) later too.

As a separate module? Or is it going to be a free addition kind of like the 2 variants of the P-51D? Only reason I'm interested in the A8 is for the ground attack capability, so if the F8 is going to be another purchase I'll hold off on the A8.

Do you have a link to this information? Thanks

The A8 would be capable of ground attack with it's variety of bombs and rockets.

And if I recall, it can also use the double barrel mg151gunpods which will bring a tremendous weight of fire against a convoy of trucks and halftracks.

It also helps that the radial A8 is more resilient to bullets than the inline A9 when doing ground attacks so the A8 would have an edge in ground attacks.

Both the A8 and the D9 are capable of handling a variety of air threats and both still fly by the BnZ philosophy. Though the extra cannons on the A8 will make it easier for deflection shooting, or even head on passes. Armed with the mg151 gundpods and only the most foolish will dare stare down the barrels of the Butcherbird.

It will be likely that the F8 would be free plane at best, or a discounted paid addition for those who own the A8 at worst. Personally aside from having better ground attack capabilities, the F8 feels quite limited than the A8 in multi-mission flexibility. For me the A8 feels more like a German P-47 while the F8 feels more like a massively improved Ju-87.

Do you have a link to this information?

No, but AFAIK the responsible developer said the F-8 will be included in the package later, and it'll be available for the A-8 purchasers free of charge.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

As this is not mentioned in the description of the module I‘d wait for a real official statement before drawing any conclusion.

Remember the NS430 ‘misunderstandings’.

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

Yep. Or remember the Black Shark 2 surprise release. To avoid disappointment later I only expect what was explicitly announced in a news letter, shop description etc. In every case it will probably take at least a few months until we will see the F8 in game.

But as already said here, the A8 in itself will already be a capable ground attack platform. It was the successes of the ordinary Fw 190 fighter bombers on the Channel front that lead to the development of the specialized A2G variants.

grafspee,

Are you opening the engine cowling when using the MW-50? I use it for a long period of time with the cowling open with no engine issues. I climb from take off to 5K with the MW-50 on the entire time and no issues, as long as the cowling in full open. I think with all the FW-190s advanced features people forget that even the D9 has a manual radiator cowling.

Edited by Alphazulu

grafspee,

Are you opening the engine cowling when using the MW-50? I use it for a long period of time with the cowling open with no engine issues. I climb from take off to 5K with the MW-50 on the entire time and no issues, as long as the cowling in full open. I think with all the FW-190s advanced features people forget that even the D9 has a manual radiator cowling.

Cownling are operated automaticaly, although opening them manually helps getting additional cooling.

About the MW-50 issue, there was a bug around which let your engine die more than usual. I haven't heard about it being fixed. I think that is what he ment.

Cownling are operated automaticaly, although opening them manually helps getting additional cooling.

About the MW-50 issue, there was a bug around which let your engine die more than usual. I haven't heard about it being fixed. I think that is what he ment.

ive read and have seen interviews with ww2 german pilots of the bird, they all said automatic all the time as far as cooling. Is it bugged in dcs as your engine will blow pretty easy unless you open those babys up manually.... :helpsmilie:

i dont go above 1.4 ata unless in trouble....

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

There are plenty of things that are operated "automatically" on these birds but that doesn't mean they operate well. Often this is what makes the difference between an experienced pilot and one that just follows the manual. If you want the most of out of it you need to open it manually, just like the Spit. I'm able to climb at a much higher rate then then manual says, I can because I manually operate the rads from experience. The drag that is caused only effects the top speeds and how often do you actually fly at that speed? Almost never. If you want to stick to letting it adjust itself, go right ahead, but don't be surprised when it blows on you. Just like I have other guys that can't figure out for the life of them why that can't catch me at certain alts in the Spit or Stang and it's because I'm "testing" the supercharger at 12k feet...LoL the manual sure doesn't tell you to do that.

Edited by Alphazulu

in fw190 i noticed that while running mw50 automatic radiators work and prevent coolant to overheat but oil tem is going sky high.

The radiators(water and oil) are indeed fully automatic on the Dora but the engine inlet cowlings(the things on the nose that you can see opening and closing when you press the correct buttons) is purely manual thus the pilot has to manage them!

Almost all german pilots that flew the Dora agree on that the operation with them was very simple. The only time they had to operate them was on takeoff and steep climbs to prevent overheat due to low speed > weak air flow > cooling less effective.

Every other situation was either fully closed or almost closed(this is where the answers differ some vets say fully closed some left them slightly open). This includes cruise and actualy combat including MW50 usage!

Thats my only gripe against the DCS model. The only time you manage to operate the MW50 in its supposed limits (up to 10mins) is with the cowlings fully open all the time which according to interviews with the LW pilots isnt correct.

The situation on the A-8 is almost identical. All radiators are fully automatic(oil) through the kommandogerat and the engine cowlings are again controlled by the pilot. Engine cowlings are on the 190 from the very first versions beginning with A-4(A-3 had fixed opened slats at all times).

Oil operating at more than 100 degrees of celsius is normal in pressured systems like the ones in aircrafts.

The radiators(water and oil) are indeed fully automatic on the Dora but the engine inlet cowlings(the things on the nose that you can see opening and closing when you press the correct buttons) is purely manual thus the pilot has to manage them!

Those would be the outlets, which are also automatic. The D9 doesn't have inlets.

And you don't have to open the outlets for the MW-50 usage (unless you fly slow ofc). The thing is that you cannot run the allowed times of 10 Mins with cooling intervals in DCS, as it will blow your engine regardless of the temperature.

And the A-8 also has only outlets, and the Kommandogerät only operated the engine.

Or do you have any sources to back up your statements?