"Approach" navy/ marine aviation safety magazine

smnwrx

So my cousin is finishing his training as a marine helo pilot and invited me to come out for a tour of the facilities and aircraft. In one of the restrooms I came across one of these magazines sitting on the counter. It is an aviation safety magazine with firsthand accounts of situations that could have possiblely gone terribly wrong. Each issues seems to have a theme such as icing, equipment failures and hypoxia. It was interesting to read how the best in the business handle each situation. I've burned though a few issues now and it's also interesting to read of at least four pilots experiances of hypoxia in the hornet so far. The single engine traps are also a good read. As I look for anything to kill time between DCS plane, check it out in the public navy site. http://www.public.navy.mil/navsafecen/Pages/media/approach/approach.aspx

PS. In one account a hornet pilot writes worrying about blowing a tire after having to divert to near by airfield because of the added pressure in the tires during and carrier ops and he was also concerned about how well the brakes would work having not been used during a long deployment at sea. IF the DCS next is a carrier based A/C, I wonder how this could be implemented.

Edited by smnwrx

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the link smnwrx!

Back to reading :book:

I think your cousin already knows the Air Warriors Forum, but who knows

http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php

Windows 10 | i7-8700K@5GHz | 2080 Ti | Intel Z370 Chipset | 32GB RAM@1866 MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w. FSSB R3 Mod | Saitek Switch Panel + Radio Panel + Multi Panel + FIP + Flightpanels Software | MFG_Crosswind | TrackIR5 | TM Cougar MFD Pack | Obutto R3volution | 1 x LG38 | GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

PS. In one account a hornet pilot writes worrying about blowing a tire after having to divert to near by airfield because of the added pressure in the tires during and carrier ops and he was also concerned about how well the brakes would work having not been used during a long deployment at sea. IF the DCS next is a carrier based A/C, I wonder how this could be implemented.

There was an episode of PBS Carrier where a Hornet pilot had to divert to Baghdad Int'l and when he landed one of his tires blew. I didn't know there was a difference in tire pressures on land ops and carrier ops, and apparently the Squadron CO didn't either and blamed the pilot for the tire. The guy was still grounded for being an idiot with his fuel management though.

There was an episode of PBS Carrier where a Hornet pilot had to divert to Baghdad Int'l and when he landed one of his tires blew. I didn't know there was a difference in tire pressures on land ops and carrier ops, and apparently the Squadron CO didn't either and blamed the pilot for the tire. The guy was still grounded for being an idiot with his fuel management though.

Oh man. This is a pretty old topic. I'm glad to see others get some enjoyment from these as well. I was disappointed after I blew through all the issues haha. Anyways I was so curious about what happens to that guy that was grounded. I found a LinkedIn link for the guy and it turns out he was currently still flying for the navy as a hornet IP. That was my happy ending hahA

PS as for the CO not knowing the difference in tire pressure, I think I can safely assume he was well aware. It was probably added drama for the show. I know being careless with fuel management is a crime punishable by hanging

Edited by smnwrx

How do they prevent the tires from blowing when landing on.....well, land, if there's such a tire pressure difference? I was in Japan near NAS Atsugi last year and there were lots of Hornets flying in and out of the place, probably to/from a carrier.

The U.S. Army has the same type of publication called "Flightfax". Most of them require an AKO (i.e. service member) login, but I am sure some of them are public. My Internet connection is to slow for me to go searching, however.

Lots of great safety articles for U.S. Army Aviation.

How do they prevent the tires from blowing when landing on.....well, land, if there's such a tire pressure difference? I was in Japan near NAS Atsugi last year and there were lots of Hornets flying in and out of the place, probably to/from a carrier.

Oh I didn't mean to imply that it is impossible to go ship to shore I believe that they almost always have a divert airfield available when flying at sea. He just seems to imply that it requires some consideration and maybe some different techniques then normal. I am no hornet expert by any means so I don't know the specifics of the different tire settings for operations. I did a quick search for the article I referenced but i ran short on time.

found this in the F-18c natops preflight exterior inspection: Tire - TREAD WEAR,

PRESSURE 250 PSI (ashore)

350 PSI (afloat)

I brought that article up because it would be something i would like to see ED incorporat. I mean if you want as real as it gets, its little things like this that may be an after thought for anyone except the men and women that do it for real.

Edited by smnwrx