MiG-21Bis Dynamic Campaign: Guardians of the Caucasus

MBot

Wow! Nicely done. I have no clue about mission building. Well, I can add planes, vehicles, etc. but don't have a clue about triggers, scripting, and the like. It's awefully impressive to see how some do what they do with these tools. Hats off to you sir! Salute!

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having trouble. It is refusing to write the campaign progress file. Have followed the instructions and it works on a friends machine. Unfortunately his internet connection sucks so it's going to be a gamble using him as the host!

If you get the other aircraft working too (and ideally the odd ground pounder mission) I'd be willing to make a little donation!

Here is a little teaser on what I am currently working at. This was just too cool not to share :) I plan to adapt the campaign system to other aircraft. In order to do so I am rewriting several systems to be more generic and modular, so that they can be easily applied to different campaigns.

Here is a screen of my new route generator. Input was only start, land and target position. The rest of the route was generated automatically.

There's dynamically route script that has been created by Bushmanni, I suggest you look it up.

In anyhow, it's great news that you'll create a generic script engine for other mission designers to create their own campaigns.

Mbot, you achieved what has been said it was impossible. I'm looking forward for a F-15 or Su-27 dynamic campaign like this

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

Have flown a mission with friends... Great fun and will be running mission 2 next weekend after editing for weather and time of day etc.

Any way to limit number of missiles as well as aircraft and have that update after each mission?

Glad you could fly with your friends Random, not sure why it doesn't write the campaign progress file on your end.

Aircraft and weapons are "unlimited" as the warehouse functionaility can not be manipulated by script as far as I am aware. For the airframes "unlimited" means, as long as the campaign is ongoing, all client slots can be used and anyone can re-spawn as often as he wants. Be aware though that any airframe loss will reduce the pool of aircraft of your regiment. If at mission end your regiment is out of aircraft, the campaign is over and lost.

For the missiles, I think we can assume that the airbase has a stockpile of el-cheapo IR missiles for 2 weeks worth of operations. I guess for more exotic weapons such as PGMs, stockpile tracking would indeed be very nice. Perhaps it will be possible in the future.

Hey Mbot i really like the way you created this.

One suggestion though would it be possible to set a minimum amount of friendly planes to spawn? I restarted the campagne multiple times and on mission 1 i had multiple times that i was the only mig21 to get airborn and attack the overwhelming incoming force. Can you make it so you always spawn with an equal amount or at least 50% of what the enemy has?

g8PjVMw.png

One suggestion though would it be possible to set a minimum amount of friendly planes to spawn? I restarted the campagne multiple times and on mission 1 i had multiple times that i was the only mig21 to get airborn and attack the overwhelming incoming force. Can you make it so you always spawn with an equal amount or at least 50% of what the enemy has?

Just checking the code again, the amount of MiG-21 should always be at least 33% of the amount of bogeys, up to a full squadron of 12 aircraft (of course pending enough available ready aircraft in the regiment). Though start time is randomly distributed from mission start up to 20 minutes into the mission.

• Like 1

Just checking the code again, the amount of MiG-21 should always be at least 33% of the amount of bogeys, up to a full squadron of 12 aircraft (of course pending enough available ready aircraft in the regiment). Though start time is randomly distributed from mission start up to 20 minutes into the mission.

Ok it must be the fact i havent waited long enough then. Thanks for looking into the script.

Isnt 20 minutes a bit long though when there are so many incoming enemies?

Apart from the above love you coding man :thumbup:

g8PjVMw.png

Isnt 20 minutes a bit long though when there are so many incoming enemies?

The intention is that it further randomized the flow of the missions. Sometimes you will meet the enemy in force, sometimes you go in understrength and get rescued by the cavalry later etc. A variable injection of aircraft into the battle at variable times will create different tactical situations and prevents too repetitive combat situations. The tactical justification of this setup would be that only a limited amount of airframes would be ready for alert take-off at a given time, with more aircraft getting airborne as they become available.

But I am aware that the right balancing is very important and it is open for improvement. My goal is that sometimes it is a turkey shoot, sometimes you are flying into deep s***, but in the long run you should be faced mostly with manageable challenges. Since a dynamic campaign is so chaotic, it is important to collect a lot of empiric data. So I am very glad for all feedback, whether you think something should be adjusted or it is spot on. I will continue to collect the feedback and evaluate if eventually a change should be made.

• Like 7

wow - why can i not give rep for this post? this is a huge contribution to the community.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

I by chance dropped into this server on a brief MP session the other night, and had a swell time using the Mig-21 as a pure interceptor, which was exactly what I was after. I had no idea it was such a cool campaign project. I cannot remember exactly everyone's nick, but thanks guys!

Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else experiencing error after pause, all clients CTD but for host it's working:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

RUNTIME ERROR!

Program: C:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\dcs.exe

R6025

-pure virtual function call

I've tried this workaround and no joy.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1525550&postcount=38

Mission worked ok in previous DCS release but the new one is causing this for me and my friends no matter who is hosting. :/

More ppl. reported about problems with client disconnection, when a mission create units on the fly. As workaround downgrade to previous DCS World version (DCS_UPDATER UPDATE 1.2.14.35734)

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

We are currently one week into the war in the current playthrough in our squad. We hare having fantastic dogfights with F-4 and F-5 but losses are high. We are down to 12 aircraft with all our SAMs gone and Tbilisi having taken its first bombings. It will be realy thrilling to see whether we can keep going another week.

Every now and then we manage to land a coup like this and life is good :)

0aX9zEL.jpg

• Like 2

So wait, what exactly does the new DCS update mean for this campaign? I thought we didn't have any ground u its that were going to be spawned? Unless that means the SAM sited as well. I'm not sure anymore, someone help >_<

This post is protected by a pilot who has a serious lack of negotiating skills, but is absolute hell in a dogfight. If you do not belong here, please leave.

You have now been properly negotiated with.

MiG-29S Instant Action Mission Fix

Come check out and add to my list of all landmarks in DCS World!

^that works now