While waiting for the LGBs...

Alphamale

let's see if you can figure out the following: What is the type of LGB used and what was special about it? Also, what was the name of the carrier in this scene...something else to watch is the pilot's work with the right DDI prior to "Coming down"....what was he pressing???

let's see if you can figure out the following: What is the type of LGB used and what was special about it? Also, what was the name of the carrier in this scene...something else to watch is the pilot's work with the right DDI prior to "Coming down"....what was he pressing???

I remember this scene

IRL can the LGB find the reflected laser spot through the cloud cover ?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Looks like he just switches from HSI to Stores and then selects the bomb - though his master arm is still off (still says 'SAFE') and he hasn't set the fuze (doesn't have the option actually now it's in higher res). Also doesn't seem to be in AG mode. Funny that they seemed to use a real Hornet for it instead of just mocking one up though.

Also, for those with OCD about advisory messages, don't look at the left DDI, it'll give you a heart attack:

attachment.php?attachmentid=192436&stc=1&d=1534827133

attachment.php?attachmentid=192437&stc=1&d=1534827133

Edit: Found a source with higher resolution here:

2098505546_ScreenShot2018-08-21at12_49_42.thumb.png.3ea2921127e63a8254f8d3f8fa7e5d64.png

2090847638_ScreenShot2018-08-21at12_50_04.thumb.png.58e7680eb0df3242f34e7e1c61bcaba4.png

Edited by backspace340

Oh and according to the DDI it's a GBU-12 - 82LG is the abbreviation for it on the stores page. If you mean what was special about it in the film, it's that it was supposedly a paper-cased bomb (rather than steel), though that's obviously not true.

Edited by backspace340

Considering how many movies were totally lazy in being even close to accurate, hats off to these guys who did put quite an effort. You notice these things only if you're pilot (or sim pilot) but for most of the folks, it looks quite "realistic".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

Oh and according to the DDI it's a GBU-12 - 82LG is the abbreviation for it on the stores page. If you mean what was special about it in the film, it's that it was supposedly a paper-cased bomb (rather than steel), though that's obviously not true.

Bingo, although could it be done?...I mean, if you wanted to make it look like a car bomb, you would not want them to find steel casing fragments (if that's even possible)

Edited by Alphamale
query intent

Bingo, although could it be done?...I mean, if you wanted to make it look like a car bomb, you would not want them to find steel casing fragments (if that's even possible)
Once saw a film (Shooter) where paper case bullet was also used. Here paper case bomb. I can remember they wanted to prevent traces of identificatiion of where the bullet and bomb came from.

It might just be these types of munitions are there in real life.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

The carrier was the USS Kitty Hawk and did you notice on the launch, how quickly the pilot banked to his right coming off the cat?

It may be intentional OR the weight of the bomb attached to the right wing (left wing appears to have no payload attached) simply 'pulled' the aircraft to the right, the moment the wheels lost contact with the ground.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

The carrier was the USS Kitty Hawk and did you notice on the launch, how quickly the pilot banked to his right coming off the cat?
I watched vid where it says normal departure pattern for the Hornet from a carrier is after clearing off the deck and at certain dme from carrier, you bank to the right to stay off the BRC (deconfliction of the recovery course) and later at a certain Dme, you merge with the BRC.

Perhaps in the movie, it was executed sooner than standard dme.

Does anyone know of departure pattern for the Hornet. I know there a number of patterns for departure.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I watched vid where it says normal departure pattern for the Hornet from a carrier is after clearing off the deck and at certain dme from carrier, you bank to the right to stay off the BRC (deconfliction of the recovery course) and later at a certain Dme, you merge with the BRC.

Perhaps in the movie, it was executed sooner than standard dme.

Does anyone know of departure pattern for the Hornet. I know there a number of patterns for departure.

I found this from NATOPS "After lift-off, the initial climb attitude to 1,200 feet AGL varies with existing weather conditions. However, an initial pitch attitude of 15 to 20° is a good starting point. Afterburner operation requires a 5 to 10° higher pitch attitude. Do not exceed 25° of pitch attitude. Select landing gear UP and flaps AUTO when definitely airborne. Climb out at 200 to 220 knots."

I‘m under the impression that for carrier takeoffs you are supposed to stay below 500ft until you are outside of a 7NM bubble around the carrier to be vertically separated from arriving traffic.
My impression is 600ft until 7nm dme. An S-turn of 20degrees of launch course to the right is required to separate from base recovery course.

It looks like case 3 launch is different from case 1 and case 2 launch.

Edited by Eaglewings

My impression is 600ft until 7nm dme. An S-turn of 20degrees of launch course to the right is required to separate from base recovery course.

It looks like case 3 launch is different from case 1 and case 2 launch.

Yeah, I think someone told 500, somewhere else I recall having heard 600ft. And I believe it was the same source that also talked about 20° S-turn. :smilewink:

500ft is correct. Here are the Case I/II/III procedures.

Case I Departure. After a clearing turn, proceed straight ahead paralleling the BRC at 500 feet until 7 nm. Aircraft are then cleared to climb unrestricted in visual conditions.

Case II Departure. After a clearing turn, proceed straight ahead at 500 feet paralleling the BRC. At 7 nm, turn to intercept the 10-nm arc, maintaining visual conditions until established on the departure radial. The 500-foot restriction is lifted after 7 nm if the climb can be continued in visual conditions. Jets shall maintain 300 knots until VMC on top.

Case III Departure. Climb straight ahead accelerating at 300 knots crossing 5 nm at 1,500 feet or above. At 7 nm, execute turn to fly the 10-nm arc until intercepting the departure radial.

Here's the CV NATOPS for those interested: NATOPS

Looks like he just switches from HSI to Stores and then selects the bomb - though his master arm is still off (still says 'SAFE') and he hasn't set the fuze (doesn't have the option actually now it's in higher res). Also doesn't seem to be in AG mode. Funny that they seemed to use a real Hornet for it instead of just mocking one up though.

Also, for those with OCD about advisory messages, don't look at the left DDI, it'll give you a heart attack:

attachment.php?attachmentid=192436&stc=1&d=1534827133

attachment.php?attachmentid=192437&stc=1&d=1534827133

Edit: Found a source with higher resolution here:

Isn't that a different type of Stores page?

You can tell how old this aircraft really is since its using the old HSI instead of the MPCD the newer upper lots had

ASUS ROG Strix Helios Case - ASUS AM4 ROG Strix X-570E MB - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 64 GB DDR4 3200 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series - ASUS DualGeForce GTX 1070 - SSD 2x 1TB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 10 Home -

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster TPR Pedels - TrackIR