Dynamic Campaign Engine

MBot

Mbot, some questions:

- do you implement on your dynamic engine strategic missions (deep strike) vs political, resource, industrial and logistic targets?

- Can be in the future, if you destroy a power plant, shut down industries and / or air defences?

- Some type of capability to put runways, aprons and taxiways inoperative and runways destroyed?

- Damaged air defence can be "repair" and maintain disconnected / inoperative meanwhile that repairs has in progress, make holes on the Air defence net?

- Bridges and other infrastructure can maintain damage / destroyed from a mission to another? can will be repaired by "engineer" units

- Has into your plans use "warehouse" for logistic, and build support trains (land / air / sea) in the future on the DC engine?

Thank

Mbot, some questions:

- do you implement on your dynamic engine strategic missions (deep strike) vs political, resource, industrial and logistic targets?

Yes, you can define scenery objects such as buildings or bridges as campaign targets. How these are labeled is up to the campaign designer. So you could define a complex of buildings as "Baath Party Headquarters" or "Nuclear Research Facility" for example.

- Can be in the future, if you destroy a power plant, shut down industries and / or air defences?

Generally speaking no, as there is no strategic layer in DCE (factories building stuff etc.). In broad terms, DCE fits in as follows:

-Strategic level: This is the campaign designer setting up the campaign. Where does it take place, what are the objectives/targets, victory conditions, what resources are available, how much time is available.

-Operational level: This is DCE trying to achieve the strategic objectives by tasking the tactical level below through prioritizing targets, allocating available resources etc.

-Tactical level: This is the player and AI trying to complete the tasks given from the operational level by flying their aircraft.

So what this means is that if the campaign is about destroying all enemy factories, it is won when these factories are destroyed. The effect these factories have on the war is of no concern for the operational commander (DCE), he just completes the objective given by the generals high up.

More specifically speaking though, some effects might be scripted. I have written a small system which I call Campaign Triggers. With this you can define conditions and actions on the campaign level. So you could for example set up a trigger that when the target "Basra Power Plant" is destroyed, all air defences are removed from the campaign.

- Some type of capability to put runways, aprons and taxiways inoperative and runways destroyed?

Runway damage is a pain to track, since runway hits are not logged by DCS. Therefore I have decided to skip this.

- Damaged air defence can be "repair" and maintain disconnected / inoperative meanwhile that repairs has in progress, make holes on the Air defence net?

Not planned at the moment. I had air defenses repair in Guardians of the Caucasus, but that was some very specific code. For DCE this would have to be more general solution. Might be something for later.

- Bridges and other infrastructure can maintain damage / destroyed from a mission to another? can will be repaired by "engineer" units

Yes, destroyed state is carried over from mission to mission. Repair of structures is not planned, as it would be outside of the scope of most campaigns (structures serving no other purpose than being targets to be destroyed).

- Has into your plans use "warehouse" for logistic, and build support trains (land / air / sea) in the future on the DC engine?

The warehouse function is not utilized, since it serves no purpose outside of re-spawn multiplayer. Warehouses only limit the weapons you can change to during the mission, not the load outs that every aircraft (player and AI) spans with. The latter is defined in the mission file and assigned by DCE.

I had long thoughts om whether to do weapon inventory tracking/limiting in DCE but decided against it. Gameplay wise, weapon inventories only make sense if the player has control over its allocation. The gameplay mechanic would then be the player using lower quality weapons to conserve better weapons for important targets. But since loadout allocation for all aircraft is handled by DCE and not the player, it makes little difference on the player whether these weapons are limited or not. This also makes it unnecessary to write very complex code for smart automatic weapon allocation (when to assign weapon X or when to conserve it), which would be necessary if inventories were limited.

MBot, i'm having difficulties in understanding how this will "look". For example we load up DCS, we launch this mission/app and what do we see? Does this create slots dynamically based on resources? HOw do we define resources like plane numbers? Does it just rely on Tactical Commander having access to slots? Do players only have the same slots from begining to end? Does ATO or any logic work during the mission or does it produce a static file.miz according to these inputs? Where would we customise inputs? Can we change things mid campaign? Can we use ATO not just for the engine, but as a way of filing up missions?

I know you've answered a lot about design goals - in your own words you weren't looking for large scale TvT but more as small groups of multiplayer versus environment. Why can't it be used to add meat on a large TvT campaign if the ATO works for both sides? Or if only one side, why not two sides?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Can't believe that I've only just come across this whole thread! :doh:

@Mbot - incredible work already! Can't wait to get my hands on this to thoroughly try it out.

One question - In terms of users building our own campaigns, i.e. performing the 'strategic decision making' layer and setting up the campaign parameters - are you planning to have some sort of documentation to go with DCE to help? I realise this would take additional time to write etc. As an aside, I've got bugger all knowledge about coding but I more or less write reports and documents for a living so if there's anything you think I could do to help, by all means ask.

Next point - I really think that you ought to accept donations for your work. As others have commented your DCE has the potential to be every bit as ground breaking as DCS World 1.5 / 2.0, maybe more so. Imagining how many hours enjoyment I know I'll get out of the system I for one would certainly like to reward you for your efforts. I'm sure many of us feel the same.

Final point - I know from personal experience that projects of this size and complexity can easily lead to burn out, no matter how enthusiastic one might be for one's work. Take the time you need to get things done. We'll wait with anticipation..!

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

MBot, i'm having difficulties in understanding how this will "look". For example we load up DCS, we launch this mission/app and what do we see? Does this create slots dynamically based on resources? HOw do we define resources like plane numbers? Does it just rely on Tactical Commander having access to slots? Do players only have the same slots from begining to end?

With the succesful integration of DCE with the DCS campaign system, I have set it up to work as a single player campaign per default. Playing a given mission in MP simply means opening it in the mission editor and switching some aircraft to client. You can actually convert as many aircraft to client as you like, including enemy, you just have to be aware that there will be the same single briefing centered on a single flight for everyone. Also adhering to Time on Target might cause long waiting times on the ground for flights which were intended to be AI.

Since in MP you don't have access to the mission planner, you would have to open the mission in the ME anyway in order to review your route. So the above step doesn't seem like a big deal.

Does ATO or any logic work during the mission or does it produce a static file.miz according to these inputs? Where would we customise inputs? Can we change things mid campaign? Can we use ATO not just for the engine, but as a way of filing up missions?

The missions are very static, there are almost no scripts running during the mission (except the EWR/intercept stuff and some other minor things). Since each mission is unique, there is no need to dynamically generate content within the mission.

ATO generation is deeply empbedded within DCE and is controlled by various configuration Lua files that are set up by the campaign designer. I guess you can adjust priorities during a campaign but player modification is not foreseen. I have yet to actually give this a serious run, but I expect that setting up a large, smooth running campaign will be a balancing act.

One question - In terms of users building our own campaigns, i.e. performing the 'strategic decision making' layer and setting up the campaign parameters - are you planning to have some sort of documentation to go with DCE to help? I realise this would take additional time to write etc. As an aside, I've got bugger all knowledge about coding but I more or less write reports and documents for a living so if there's anything you think I could do to help, by all means ask.

Next point - I really think that you ought to accept donations for your work. As others have commented your DCE has the potential to be every bit as ground breaking as DCS World 1.5 / 2.0, maybe more so. Imagining how many hours enjoyment I know I'll get out of the system I for one would certainly like to reward you for your efforts. I'm sure many of us feel the same.

Final point - I know from personal experience that projects of this size and complexity can easily lead to burn out, no matter how enthusiastic one might be for one's work. Take the time you need to get things done. We'll wait with anticipation..!

I guess there will be a time were some documentation has to be written :) Thanks for the offers for help, also by Home Fries, to which I might come back at a later point.

I prefer to keep money out of this, as this allows me to carry out the project on my own terms. Investing your spare time is a lot easier if it is due to enthusiasm versus any obligation. And ultimately I am still concerned how this will all end up, whether it will work and how much fun it will be. Time will tell. I was also concerned during the development of Guardians of the Caucasus, and that thing turned out to be better than I myself expected. So there is reason to hope :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey i just fi ished my first guardians of the caucuses with the new updated file that has the weather info on the top of the debrief. 2 air to air kills plus 4 more for my squadron. 6 for air defense. Landed successfully quit using the radio. Heres the thing i goto play next mission. I didnt exit the game i goto mission editor open the guardians miz file. Input the time wwather etc. All the while noticig theres absolutely no flight plans nothing in there. Figuring im missing sometjing i start it up. And rhere was nothibg no aircraft. No radars. No blue flights. Nada. Whatd i do wrong?

Mbot i pm.d you. I need help with yiur first dynamc campaign a quick question please. If you didnt get a pm frm me something messed up and if so can you either pm me or email me at jeffreypclark86@yahoo.com

The problem is as above. I finish a guardians mission ( my firsr) yet when i go to out the debrief info into the ME for the next mission theres no forces on the map whatsoeber grnd air red or blue. Thinking.maybe it was all hidden i hit fly and was greeted wih a tac view of Anapa field because there really wasnt any vehicles or AC in the mission. So why after a successful win of first mission is the information not carrying to the second? I landed successfullly at vaziani. As soon as i stoppsd i quit using the radio on the runway jotted down the debrief info and quit. ??? Anyone pls???

Well have you done this modifications :

Due to technical limitations of the DCS framework, the following instructions should be followed:

- In order to allowing carrying over information from one mission to the next, it is absolutely necessary to modify the file 'MissionScripting.lua' in the folder 'DCS World\Scripts'. Add two minus signs in front of line 17 'sanitizeModule('io')' and line 18 'sanitizeModule('lfs')'. Your file should then look like this:

--Initialization script for the Mission lua Environment (SSE)

dofile('Scripts/ScriptingSystem.lua')

--Sanitize Mission Scripting environment
--This makes unavailable some unsecure functions. 
--Mission downloaded from server to client may contain potentialy harmful lua code that may use these functions.
--You can remove the code below and make availble these functions at your own risk.

local function sanitizeModule(name)
   _G[name] = nil
   package.loaded[name] = nil
end

do
   sanitizeModule('os')
   --sanitizeModule('io')
   --sanitizeModule('lfs')
   require = nil
   loadlib = nil
end

Warning: This will allow potentially harmful lua code that may be included in missions downloaded from the internet. Modification at your own risk. If you do not wish do make this modification, you can still play this campaign as a client in multiplayer games hosted by someone else. The modification probably has to be repeated after each time a DCS World update is applied.

- The campaign is included in one single mission file. The first time a mission is completed, a file called 'MDC_campaign_results.lua' is created in your 'DCS World' folder. On subsequent launching of the mission file, the campaign loads the 'MDC_campaign_results.lua' and progresses from there on. Upon ending of a running mission, the 'MDC_campaign_results.lua' file is updated. To start a new campaign, delete 'MDC_campaign_results.lua'. To save a campaign state, make a backup of 'MDC_campaign_results.lua'. To load a campaign state, move your backup 'MDC_campaign_results.lua' into your 'DCS World' folder (overwrite the existing file if applicable).

After the first mission you must have this file : "MDC_campaign_results.lua" in your main DCS WORLD folder.

[/url]All known Dynamic Campaign Engine Campaigns

Last DCE news : Crisis in PG - Blue version

Well yes. Not to sound smarmy but if you read my post you.ll notice i said it all worked fine and i got a couple kills. Then ulon opening the editor to change the time and weather there was absolutely no units of either side anywhere so i cudnt change them even if i had wanted.

Lickily.mbot suggested replacing the .miz file.with a vanilla one as since you pointed out the campaign results is where its at. It worked..

I'm happy you solved your problem ;)

Mission file is always the same with hidden units (friendly). The very clever Mbot's system uses scripts to populate the mission file with enemys when it's launched (I guess).

I made, for my own training, many other planes configurations and types; the last one being with Mirage 2000C against Mig-23, Mig-29A and Su-27 ! Dynamic campaigns are really really interesting for air to air training :)

Edited by PB0_CEF

[/url]All known Dynamic Campaign Engine Campaigns

Last DCE news : Crisis in PG - Blue version

• 1 month later...

Mbot, are you planning or have you already created a donation link?

I will feel bad to use this engine without helping you... especially in a game where even trainer aircrafts are payware...

Whith this you are showing ED that a dynamic campaign engine is actually possible!

Let's hope that ED starts giving you some support, or even adapt some code to let you finish this and perhaps make this a payware module by itself

Keep up the great work

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB

+1

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for all the kind words, I really appreciate it. No update currently, as I have recently taken some time off from DCS. Played the excellent Command Modern Air/Naval Operations campaign addon Northern Inferno, among other things. The Gazelle brougth me back to DCS, so progress on DCE will probably renew soon.

That is also the reason that I have no plans for donations or payware, at least for now. Having no money involved gives me the freedom to do this as a hobby on my own terms. I feel that money would remove that freedom.

• 1 month later...

Hey MBot!

How's progress going??

I was seeing some videos about DCS and sumbled upon this on in the link below:

[ame]

[/ame]

At 2:20, the author talks about a friend that is creating a dynamic campaign for the MiG 21... Is he talking about you??

He says something about waiting for some stable release (I'm portuguese and was only able to understand a small part of what the author said).

Is the release of the Dynamic Campaign Engine imminent?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Your eyes only see what your mind is ready to comprehend"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Intel I7-6700K - 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz HyperX Savage - Strix GTX 960 DC II 2GB OC Edition - Seagate 1TB