Best way to carry 2x Aim 54?

Krag6

Yes, the center hard-points produce less drag then the wing stations, and if the AIM-54s' were in the rear, the aircraft would be tail heavy.

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

I've seen many "ugly" payloads with the TGP on one wing station and a Phoenix on the other wing station, but no Phoenixes on the front belly stations. I'm guessing the wing-mounted Phoenix is used purely for ballast and isn't usable due to the cooling system requiring the front belly stations to have Phoenixes loaded too?

I like to carry an AIM-54 and an AIM-9 on each glove and 4x AIM-7s in the tunnel. It's a bitch to dogfight with if you do not use your Phoenix rounds before the merge, but once they are gone, it's a lot less drag and weight since the massive pylons will not be there.

Was this ever a real loadout?

Phoenix were rarely carried on the wing pylons, at least on the east coast. In my 10 years in east coast squadrons, I never saw Phoenix on a wing station.

P.S. interestingly enough, there is not a big drag penalty for the Phoenix on the wings. The Drag Index is 12 for the Phoenix both on the belly and the wings. The Phoenix pylon adapter has some penalty... the Sparrow adapter has a Drag Index of 2, and the Phoenix adapter is a 3. There are other penalties, of course with the heavier missile on the wings, farther from the CG.

Edited by Spiceman

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

Those were our standard load outs. We had two standard load outs... two Sidewinder, two Sparrow, two Phoenix and then we had four Sidewinder, four Sparrow. This was before the Tomcat had a big A/G role (I got out of VF-41 right before they went on the cruise that wound up in Bosnia).

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

I like to carry an AIM-54 and an AIM-9 on each glove and 4x AIM-7s in the tunnel. It's a bitch to dogfight with if you do not use your Phoenix rounds before the merge, but once they are gone, it's a lot less drag and weight since the massive pylons will not be there.

Was this ever a real loadout?

Yeah that would also be the least draggy load out after you've disposed of the two AIM-54's, as the stub rails for the AIM54's on station 1b & 8b have a drag index of just 3 each, where'as the belly rails each have a drag index of 10.

So if the plan is to fire off 2x AIM54's and then dogfight I'd choose your loadout example.

It is, although its not clear to me if Heatblur 'own' the Aim54's they are using, or those are the ED ones they use for the A model. I think someone said there are 2 different incarnations of phoenix in the game at present?

I do know that if you are 4 up, you REALLY feel it. Its near marginal getting off the deck, and you are very slow indeed to climb to altitude. Its almost like you are doing everything with the drag brakes open.

I've seen many "ugly" payloads with the TGP on one wing station and a Phoenix on the other wing station, but no Phoenixes on the front belly stations. I'm guessing the wing-mounted Phoenix is used purely for ballast and isn't usable due to the cooling system requiring the front belly stations to have Phoenixes loaded too?

Glove (wing) stations should have their own coolant. :thumbup:

If I remember correctly, one 18-gallon pump/reservoir (in the station 6 Phoenix fairing) supplies coolant to all Phoenix. There are no dependencies on which stations need to be loaded, I.e. you can have Phoenix on the wing pylons only, if you choose.

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

If I remember correctly, one 18-gallon pump/reservoir (in the station 6 Phoenix fairing) supplies coolant to all Phoenix. There are no dependencies on which stations need to be loaded, I.e. you can have Phoenix on the wing pylons only, if you choose.

But, if you have the AIM-54A missiles on the wing pylons, you still need to have those Phoenix pylons on stations 3 & 6 for coolant then.

If I understood correctly, AIM-54C missiles don't require external coolant, so you could carry e.g. two of those on the wing pylons and four Sparrows on the belly (compared to the more standard loadout with two Phoenixes on the belly which nets you 3 Sparrows in total)?

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Thats the Aim-54ECCM. The C does require cooling.

Well, no, I believe he is correct... I don’t have a direct memory of it, because we never carried Phoenix on the wings and I never came across it. But the NATOPS states “AIM 54C missiles do not need liquid cooling.”

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I am a little confused, according to this https://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=2200&tid=700&ct=2 there were 3 C variants: C, C+ and ECCM. The original deployed in 1985 required cooling. The later models did not (or is C+ just another designation for ECCM?). Perhaps all Cs were upgraded to C+ standards eventually?

Anyway, it depends on what HB is modelling.

Edited by sLYFa

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD