Course line deviation

Mad_Max2

I remember seeing a thread on this not too long ago, but I can't for the life of me find it.

Have noticed that in order to get the course line correct I must adjust it from the heading it "should" be.

For example I set a carrier traveling at 0 degrees, double check F-10 map in mission and heading is 0 degrees. Set course line to 00 degrees and it's off by several degrees. I get the same results with land based airfields as well.

I didn't catch an answer to this on the thread I saw, but I did see mentions of magnetic north vs. true north (or something like that) causing the issue. Is this the case, or is it WIP? Really any info on this would be helpful

It’s magnetic vs true north. The amount of deviation varies per map, iirc it’s 6 degrees in the Caucasus theater. You can change the setting in the airplane. HSI - DATA - A/C and I think the option says TRUE/MAG. It’s the middle right option in the A/C submenu.

HUD symbology will change and you’ll see a T instead of the normal heading caret (^). Now your heading will match what’s on the F10 map.

Edited by erautour

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

There is a rule in all aviation : what is WRITTEN is true, what is SAID is magnetic (including of course the instruments in the aircraft)... therefore, maps are ALWAYS true (with the proper deviation indicated in the legend). On the other hand, if you listen to the ATIS before taking off (I mean IRL), the weather described is SAID therefore magnetic (contrarily to the weather in the METARs which is WRITTEN therefore TRUE).:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

Would be great to know the actual deviations for all maps. I noticed it's way off in the NTTR (took a TACAN, went like 40nm for a certain location as per map and came out like 10nm west of that) while it seems to be close to nothing in the Gulf (map sais the boat goes 70° either by selecting it or doing the ruler and it matches it's actual BRC).

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg