What Campaigns are worth it? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-07-2018, 11:46 PM   #11
AMEDooley

I really enjoyed the Maple Flag missions I highly recommend them. If you don’t want to do the basic on and just get to bombing stuff then skip it. OPF is really good, anything from Baltic Dragon has been fabulous so get that one. I liked Red Flag but it’s not as good as OPF and TEW.
AMEDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #12
ZeroReady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviscerador View Post
I recommend you to also play The enemy Within. Currently at mission 6 and enjoying it so far.
Nice I have it, haven't started yet though. Looking forward to it.
ZeroReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:15 PM   #13
Sylosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurgon View Post
I think the training campaigns are really excellent, but I haven't actually played them.

IMHO, Operation Piercing Fury and The Enemy Within are among the best A-10C campaigns. They're focused on fairly believable and realistic combat scenarios, where the player doesn't have to fight through endless waves of enemy tanks for no good reason, but more like striking pre-planned targets or reacting to imminent threats against friendly ground forces.

The skills required are certainly not suited for absolute novices. Making good use of all of the A-10's weapons, punching in waypoints in MGRS, Lat/Long and Bullseye Offset, setting radios to the briefed freqs, following flight plans without too much deviation, and solid mission preparation with the supplied briefings and documentation are all part of the campaigns. Cold start is mandatory, of course.
Finishing such a mission with a perfect score is really rewarding, though.

And I think going through an actual mission is a great opportunity to learn those aspects that are new. I like to get proficient in an aircraft before I fly a demanding campaign, but in the end, flying campaigns has always taught me more than months of preparation.
In total agreement with this. I am doing The Ennemy Within and it's a great campaign. But, more importantly, as Yurgon says, it is realistic.

On many campaigns, you have weird "arcade like" missions, where you are up against 20 planes, in a "shoot 'em up" style thing...

Which is weird, considering DCS is mostly appreciated by a base of player that enjoys simulation. So why do people create campaigns that are like that? I don't know... apart from the fact that I assume it is just less work and the easy thing to do.

Therefore, I very much recommend The Enemy Within, and it'd be great if there were more campaigns like this one in other modules.
Sylosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #14
mastersetter

The only real issue I have with the enemy within are the voice overs, they are not that great and some just don't fit in at all, ie English and Scottish pilots, sound a bit odd flying a-10s and breaks the immersion for me slightly, but I'm being fussy here, it's an excellent campaign overall
Old 06-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #15
baltic_dragon
3rd Party Campaign Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastersetter View Post
The only real issue I have with the enemy within are the voice overs, they are not that great and some just don't fit in at all, ie English and Scottish pilots, sound a bit odd flying a-10s and breaks the immersion for me slightly, but I'm being fussy here, it's an excellent campaign overall
... agreed... this will change
M-2000C RED FLAG (more info) (trailer)
baltic_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:51 PM   #16
sze5003

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMEDooley View Post
I really enjoyed the Maple Flag missions I highly recommend them. If you don’t want to do the basic on and just get to bombing stuff then skip it. OPF is really good, anything from Baltic Dragon has been fabulous so get that one. I liked Red Flag but it’s not as good as OPF and TEW.
I enjoyed these too but I'm still stuck on the tactical maple flag campaign-csar day misison..can not pass it for the life of me.

Tried so many times but how I got past the others I had to watch videos of them in order to understand when and where I should be doing what.

Now I'm busy with the hornet but I also recommend anything Baltic has done. Have the enemy within campaign and the mirage one too. Both are excellent and they gradually increase in difficulty so you don't feel stupid all of a sudden.
Asus ROG Strix Z370-E | Core i7 8700k @5.0Ghz-Corsair H100i v2 | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 3000 | 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Asus Strix OC 1080Ti | Samsung Odyssey
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #17
Watari

Do you plan to make a hornet campaign baltic?
Old 06-08-2018, 10:53 PM   #18
baltic_dragon
3rd Party Campaign Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watari View Post
Do you plan to make a hornet campaign baltic?
Absolutely, I have to finish some other projects first and I will let the Hornet mature enough. But I wouldn't pass on such a beauty!
M-2000C RED FLAG (more info) (trailer)
baltic_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:47 PM   #19
nessuno0505

What DCS version do you use to play campaigns? Never played a campaign before, just single missions and tutorials; but since a-10c in 2.5.x is still quite buggy (jtac not always responding, datalink issues and so on, just not to talk about night missions), I wonder what is the best DCS version to play campaigns. Just to be sure before trying one.
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:06 PM   #20
Puma

I just finished that one. Pretty lucky I think I was! Once on station I cleared my flight ai go emgage AIr Defenses. Ince that was done We worked together to clear attackers moving in in the pilot which was just like other missions.

i7-8700K, 16 GB DDR4 3600, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7, MSI GTX 970, 500GB Samsung Evo SSD+2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, 39" 4k Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Custom Pit
Puma is offline   Reply With Quote