GTX 980 Superclocked

Corsair AX850w psu

Samsung 1 T M.2 2 X 850 ssd's

Sony 48 in HD TV

Trackir 5

Hotas Warthog F/A-18C Hornet Grip

Logitech Pro Peddles

Windows 10 64

It did indeed change with the last update. Real world procedures require the launch bar switch to be placed back in the up position after you have been engaged in the shuttle.

If you don't remember, it is reset anyway.

hmmm... must have changed. I'll check this out.

Prior to the update, I never had to lower the launch bar. Just taxi up close enough and hit "U".

So I'll check this out.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

My technique is way simpler.

After cable catch, I will aim couple of degrees right, full AB, and it's enough to get back in the air with full flaps :D

Probably not a valid NATO procedure (:D), but if you wanna catch catch catch, that's way quicker :)

Don't get too used to it, with ordnance and fuel loaded you will be in for a surprise... :music_whistling:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Well is it allowed to land with fuel and ordonnance in the first place anyway? Tried once and when on speed it's still wayyyyyy faster than standard case 1 tutorial :o Scary :D

There's a max landing weight, just like any other aircraft

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Well is it allowed to land with fuel and ordonnance in the first place anyway? Tried once and when on speed it's still wayyyyyy faster than standard case 1 tutorial :o Scary :D
There is a table in the NATOPS manual/charts for full flaps and half flaps landings.

At half flaps (8° AoA) you are about 7-9kts faster, than with full flaps.

On speed should work in both cases. I found the AoA is most critical to ensure the hook, catches a wire.

Last moment corrections of the glide path lead to change of angle of attack and thus more often than not to a bolter.

I remember a comment about a maximum WEIGHT for carrier landings, though. EDIT: need to update thread before answering. ;)

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Move to one of the catapults 1,2 or 3 (4 seems not to work, at least for me). Use NWS HI to align properly with the catapult.

Since we have no marshallers, use F2 view or have a buddy talk you near and in FRONT of the launcher (overshooting means you have to turn around and position again).

Now in position, lower the launch bar (green light shows) and then press 'U' to have you hooked up. (Plane rocks a bit and moves in position).

Do before start checklist (launch bar switch to retract, flaps set, AoA set to 16° etc. (on first launch this is done by the FCS, subsequent launches you may need to set it manually).

Now you are ready to go. Set throttle forward lift the fingerlifts (should be '0' on the keyboard as default, or map 'fingerlifts (both)' to the HOTAS, to enable afterburner on deck!

Depending on weight you may end up in the pond without afterburner at launch.

That should be everything to get a proper re-launch after landing.

Small question, i see everyone says after hook up, retract launch bar, but it simply retract itself on weight off wheels asap you're airborn when you launch, no retract the switch needed, how's is it suppoed to work in RL? Cuz so far i enver retract my switch, i lower it, attach to the shuttle (Pressing U) then i launch, as i leave the deck it simply retract itself by the time i raise gear and flaps..

Small question, i see everyone says after hook up, retract launch bar, but it simply retract itself on weight off wheels asap you're airborn when you launch, no retract the switch needed, how's is it suppoed to work in RL? Cuz so far i enver retract my switch, i lower it, attach to the shuttle (Pressing U) then i launch, as i leave the deck it simply retract itself by the time i raise gear and flaps..
It is point in the real life checklist. I am sure there is a safety or tear and wear reason behind that.

There are a lot of things that you can omit in DCS vs. real life, though... as the consequences in a Sim are simply pressing LShift+R, whereas in real life you do the mistake only once.

So basically, I listed if for realism, yet I am not 100% sure if any damage may occur that simply isn't modeled, yet.

Shagrat

I just wish there was a way to know youre on the slit and not diagonal and exactly on the catapult shoe. When launched, the zig zagging makes it look bad. Will there be static personnel or mannequins placeable at spots on deck and toggleable for positioning and marshalling? Even static mini zones with message to group such as advance, stop, right rudder, or it could be arrows, like -> low gain slow right, low gain medium right ->>, hard right with high gain ->>>, forward |, stop >< and for distancing (10 ft), (5 ft), (2 ft). For launchbar down LBD launch bar up LBU, Wt check [45232LBS] off rearming window, four down check (4DC-CK), complete (4DC-OK). Marshalling meshes or grooves with nodes are also welcome.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Example of said statements:

4DC-Ck

4DC-OK

PROCEED TO CAT I/II/III/IV

then as throttle is moved

||||||||| each appearing a second like

|

|

then

->> |||

<<- ||

then

><

LBD

then

Wt [XXXXXXXX]

then you get the radio tower and check JBDs to know youre hooked up.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Example of said statements:

4DC-Ck

4DC-OK

PROCEED TO CAT I/II/III/IV

then as throttle is moved

||||||||| each appearing a second like

|

|

then

->> |||

<<- ||

then

><

LBD

then

Wt [XXXXXXXX]

then you get the radio tower and check JBDs to know youre hooked up.

There seems to be more "smoke" from the catapult rails when you are hooked up.

EDIT: But I would love a crew member showing up on my right side when I'm connected that gives me a launch signal.

Edited by HiJack

You can check in F2 view (think of it as switching to the marshaller and signaling yourself)... At least until we get marshallers.

Shagrat

You can check in F2 view (think of it as switching to the marshaller and signaling yourself)... At least until we get marshallers.

That is how I have been doing it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You just need a good visual reference for how close your are to the cat. Use F2 to get close to the shuttle, get in the cockpit and look around for something. I use these two for Cats 1 & 2

edit - files are mislabeled but you get the idea

cat1.thumb.jpg.e2750c002d5e86a10e25d60723bb4fe1.jpg

cat2.thumb.jpg.860cae2c1f650c902e3a427ffa85c728.jpg

You just need a good visual reference for how close your are to the cat. Use F2 to get close to the shuttle, get in the cockpit and look around for something. I use these two for Cats 1 & 2

edit - files are mislabeled but you get the idea

No, you need a marshaller. That is not to say I am not OK with current status of things, but to say it would be much better visually and as a feeling.

No, you need a marshaller. That is not to say I am not OK with current status of things, but to say it would be much better visually and as a feeling.

I'm just trying to help people so they don't need to use F2. Calm down

They're coming, so don't despair. Wait for the Stennis carrier ops DLC. In the meantime, when a guy offers sage advice, take it at face value. The situation is what it is, and the OP wanted some assistance. What he didn't need was a wish list!

Just a bit of extra info: trim should be set for your weight too.

You don’t need to set trim for takeoff. FCS automatically sets the correct AOA on takeoff according to the takeoff weight. Once in the air simply gear up and correct your pitch so the nose doesn’t pitch up too much. With the F-18, pitch, for the most part, takes care of itself..... Well, for takeoff it does. If you go out of your way to set the trim according to your takeoff weight then you’re doing what the FCS has already done for you, and most likely you’ve done it incorrectly.

Also in flight, contrary to the F-15, the hornet doesn’t need trim corrections to stay level in flight. Once you aim the VV on the horizon it stays there unless you drop your speed to where the FBWS has determined it’s too dangerous to keep the nose at that angle. To maintain the production of lift, the FBWS will allow the nose to pitch down just enough.

Edited by Akula
  • MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

You don’t need to set trim for takeoff. FCS automatically sets the correct AOA on takeoff according to the takeoff weight. Once in the air simply gear up and correct your pitch so the nose doesn’t pitch up too much. With the F-18, pitch, for the most part, takes care of itself..... Well, for takeoff it does.

That's not correct. With Flaps and gear down the FCS tries to keep the AOA you trimmed for and not 1G. That's why you trim before launch according to your T/O weight.

With the F-18, pitch, for the most part, takes care of itself..... Well, for takeoff it does. If you go out of your way to set the trim according to your takeoff weight then you’re doing what the FCS has already done for you, and most likely you’ve done it incorrectly.

So what do you the T/O trim button is for then? The above is almost entirely wrong, as takeoff is one of the times when the trim does not take care of itself.

The T/O trim button sets 12 degrees nose up for field takeoff. Carrier takeoff requires between 16 and 19 degrees nose up IIRC, depending on weight, which must be set manually with the trim hat. This not only sets you up for trimmed flight, but schedules the automatic pitch when you get launched (hands off the stick until you're airborne).

I may be doing it wrong, but am having no trouble at all taking off from carrier using the Take Off Trim.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I wouldn't worry about it dburne. You might struggle at higher weights, but I've not deliberately launched with in correct settings to test this.

I mainly wanted to make it clear to anyone reading that the Hornet will not take care of takeoff trim by itself; stating otherwise is simply not correct.

(...)

Carrier takeoff requires between 16 and 19 degrees nose up IIRC, depending on weight, which must be set manually with the trim hat.(...)

If this hasn't changed with yesterday's update, the T/O trim is set to 16° on carrier, at least it was for me when you launched first from the deck. I never had to adjust manually, until landing and relaunch from catapult.

Shagrat

I managed to land on the deck, taxi to catapult nr 2 and hook up to the catapult with "U". Tower immediately gave me permission for T/O. Blast deflectors raised up. I hit full throttle with afterburners.

Yet the catapult refuses to launch. With my afterburners I manage to move forward a couple of inches, but even after 10 seconds full AB I fail to get a launch. Once I put throttle to IDLE the catapult pushes me back to my starting position.

What's going on?

If this hasn't changed with yesterday's update, the T/O trim is set to 16° on carrier, at least it was for me when you launched first from the deck. I never had to adjust manually, until landing and relaunch from catapult.

When you spawn ready to take off the TO trim is set to 16. If you land and set yourself up to takeoff again, the TO Trim button will only set your pitch trim to 12. You have to set it to 16, or whatever weight you are, yourself. That's the current state of things.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals