How do I use autopilot?

uist1

I have tested the AP extensively and there are bugs and missing functionality. Its reported & will get some attention at some point.

When its fully functional I'll prob do a tutorial video on it.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

Attention! BALT and RALT modes won't engage unless you have absolute zero input on the stick.

Easily sorted by putting a 1% deadzone on your stick (as many joysticks will not be at the exact centre when centred, not even the TM Warthog).

Thank you man :). That solved my problem.

Attention! BALT and RALT modes won't engage unless you have absolute zero input on the stick.

Easily sorted by putting a 1% deadzone on your stick (as many joysticks will not be at the exact centre when centred, not even the TM Warthog).

Does this also include rudder axis? My MFG Crosswind pedals tend to decalibrate from time to time and I have to recalibrate them at least once a day.

My opinion on this: even if it's realistic, there should be a 1%, maybe even 2% pseudo deadzone just for that without actually having a deadzone, because any deadzone greater than 0 is totally unrealistic and kills the overall feeling of control.

The only thing worse is a stick without FFB, like the TMWH which needs like 50kg of force to overcome the center spring... everytime you go across it, the plane goes haywire.

This is all according to the NATOPS:

1. The AUTO PILOT caution on the DDI means "autopilot did not engage or A/P disengaged after it was selected for any reason except pilot actuation of the paddle switch. The caution is removed after 10 seconds or when the paddle switch is actuated."

This is totally not the way it behaves in DCS at the moment...

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

My MFG Crosswind pedals tend to decalibrate from time to time and I have to recalibrate them at least once a day.

You should send an email to Milan, I've only calibrated my pedals twice in 2 years. Once when I got them and a second time when I rebuilt my rig.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

The only thing worse is a stick without FFB, like the TMWH which needs like 50kg of force to overcome the center spring... everytime you go across it, the plane goes haywire.

That is exactly why I did the 'remove TMWH centering spring' the giant one, and switch-over the 4 little ones that will then be the centering springs / on YT somewhere no doubt

Can be moved now with 1 finger (just about)

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I can't get auto pilot modes to display the colon and nothing I do will work. I can activate ATC but nothing else works. I have to be doing something wrong but I have looked through the manual and can't find anything. I also added a deadzone as was mentioned but it didn't help. Also, it seems to work fine unless I start cold and dark. Any help appreciated.

Here is a post by Malek : "There is another issue why the autopilot might not engage. According to the manual, you should set the "Attitude Source Switch" below the UFC to standby during the start up, but with this switch in standby the autopilot will not engage. So I leave it on auto". I have to try...

It seems DCS manual is faulty. In NATOPS manual, before taxi procedures, III-10-13 : "Place the attitude selector switch to STBY, check that the velocity vector disappears and pitch ladder is referenced to waterline symbol ( W ). Verify INS ATT caution is displayed. Check that standby attitude reference indicator is erect and HUD pitch ladder appears. Verify Xs appear in CH 1/3 of the PROC row on the FCS page. Return the switch to AUTO".

I don't get HEADING SELECT to work at all. I tried different combos- but for some reason it does not turn to the heading the in the HSI. With and without ATC, with and without BARO/RADAR. The semicolons light up fine, the AC just does not turn.

Press and hold hgd switch until u see it on the ufc. type in your number press enter.

go to ap and press hsel :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can bind the AP switch - but I can't find a way to bind a key or stick button to any of the AP modes in the UFC. Anyone know how to do this?

Best bet is to bind the UFC option buttons.

I am among those who can not seem to disengage the autopilot. When I activate the autopilot/NWS Disengage switch, the autopilot function does seem to disengage; however the AUTOPILOT DDI warning remains forever AND AG weapons can not be employed. Note to self: DO NOT USE AUTOPILOT ON A STRIKE MISSION.

This might have been asked already, but will we be getting an AP mode that auto follows the waypoints and makes the turns for you?

I'm just curious man, no offence, but i can understand in RL this being useful etc.. but i wounder what would be the point of sitting in front of your computer and looking at a Virtual plane flying itself through waypoints? My personal fun is controling the aircraft.

I'm just curious man, no offence, but i can understand in RL this being useful etc.. but i wounder what would be the point of sitting in front of your computer and looking at a Virtual plane flying itself through waypoints? My personal fun is controling the aircraft.

Yeah, I know what you're saying but honestly? You could ask that about ANY of the automated functions...now to get back to my question, many of my old combat flight sims actually HAD this type of AP mode. I was just wondering whether we could expect it with this module...the reason I use it, is to set up things I want to do before I get to Bullseye

Yeah, I know what you're saying but honestly? You could ask that about ANY of the automated functions...now to get back to my question, many of my old combat flight sims actually HAD this type of AP mode. I was just wondering whether we could expect it with this module...the reason I use it, is to set up things I want to do before I get to Bullseye

Yes confirmed but i dont have a link, if you search there is at least a few threads about this already.

I might be far in space, and just flew a bit the Hornet, spent most the few times on ground learning the start-up or a few carrier trap, and my many hours in the SuperHornet in another old Sim is Far :) and i haven't test it or remember, but one thing to test or take into consideration when engaging BALT or RALT is, the setting on your HUD, if the switch is set tp Radar or Baro might maybe makes a diff on the A/P, not sure, cuz personaly could be tricky if you're flying (extreme case here for the exemple) 400 FT with HUD set as Radar then hitting the A/P with 300 FT as BALT could make you go where you couldnt Anticipate and maybe way lower than 300 FT Radar. But i can be totaly wrong as i said, i haven't tried, only used A/P last night for testing purpuses and all worked fine, but i simly used HSEL and RALT since my HUD was set to Radar Altimeter.

As for RALT working on certain altitude, could be a possibility as lots of aircraft even when you set your HUD on Radar Altimeter, passed a certain altitude it switches to Baro in anyways, but can't remember the Hornet, so might be the case with A/P. duno.

But again, if i am all wrong, don'T do sending tomatoes at my Hornet pls

;P

Using AP at low alt is a moot point as you’d never use it at 300-400 feet.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

How can i engage BALT? When i press the key, nothing happens...

first press a/p ?

be above 500feet (I think), RALT be below 5000ft

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I`m pressing the a/p first and then BALT key and still nothing happens.

test with key assignment?

assign f.i. "LAlt - 3" to ‘ UFC Option Select Pushbutton 3’ (I think its 3, right)

be level and steady then keystroke ‘a’ then this "LAlt - 3"

(EDIT: made a mistake here, 'a' is disengage, so you have to assign a keystroke to UFC 'A/P', f.i. "LCtrl + 1".

So you would then enter "LCtrl + 1" then "LAlt - 3" to test the AP)

if still nothing, check perhaps you have several redundant joystick axis assignments to pitch, ailerons or rudder? delete these in controls setup ..

perhaps your joystick needs a small (1-3%) deadzone in the pith Y (unlikely)

at the moment BALT ‘smashes’ the F18 to altitude hold (bit unrealistic) and shouldn’t have any problems

(redundant joystick axis assignments my guess would be)

Else ‘DCS_updater.exe -repair’ from a CMD prompt or something (within the .\bin folder?)

Edited by majapahit

So I've got HSEL working fine and it all makes sense, but is there a CSEL mode? I'd like to be able to use HSEL to steer onto a course when doing TACAN or VOR navigation, and don't mind doing it manually using only HSEL but it'd be nice if there was an AP mode that did that for me.

It seems DCS manual is faulty. In NATOPS manual, before taxi procedures, III-10-13 : "Place the attitude selector switch to STBY, check that the velocity vector disappears and pitch ladder is referenced to waterline symbol ( W ). Verify INS ATT caution is displayed. Check that standby attitude reference indicator is erect and HUD pitch ladder appears. Verify Xs appear in CH 1/3 of the PROC row on the FCS page. Return the switch to AUTO".

Something isn't right, I have deadzones defined, but the AP won't engage anything despite the indicators : on the UFC and indications on the left DDI. when I do the above, I do get the INS ATT master caution, but I don't get 3 X's in the procedure row. This must be a bug. AP doesn't work at all.... for me at least.

Something isn't right, I have deadzones defined, but the AP won't engage anything despite the indicators : on the UFC and indications on the left DDI. when I do the above, I do get the INS ATT master caution, but I don't get 3 X's in the procedure row. This must be a bug. AP doesn't work at all.... for me at least.

I did the dead zone trick & my plane still veers off low left. Under no circumstances can I get auto pilot to work. My other DCS planes work without issue. Let's get the developers on this.:doh:

Thanks for this ! You found my issue ! :thumbup:

Specs: Win10 64bits Pro, Intel i9-9900K | 32Go | RTX 2080 Ti | M.2 SSD 850go x2

Hardware: HTC Vive Pro + X56

Maps : Normandy + Assets | Gulf | Nevada

DCS Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | A-10C | F/A-18C | Ka-50 | SuperCarrier | F-14A/B | F-5E | F-86F Sabre | MiG-15bis | Mig-19 | MiG-21bis | AV-8B | Fw 190 D-9 | SA342 | P-51D | Bf 109 K-4 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | M-2000C | F-16C